Thursday, June 22, 2017

I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings-A Book Review

I listened to this book on Audible, while on our trip to Georgia, earlier this month. It is narrated by Maya Angelou, the author. The story is the early years of Maya Angelou's life. From ages 3-16. These are childhood memories of living with her grandmother and later with her mother. She is quite happy during the years of living with her grandmother in Arkansas.  It is times of racial segregation and she writes of those times from a child's perspective which does not show any prejudice for either race. Nor any understanding. She was sexually molested while living with her mother in St. Louis at the age of 8. She was forced to testify in court of this abuse and the man who abused her was sent to prison. She lived with her father and an angry step-mother and spent a bit of time living in an abandoned salvage yard with a band of homeless kids. The last part of the story deals with Maya having sex with a neighborhood boy and becoming pregnant, thus becoming a very young mother.

Not a book for everyone. But a story told with her genuine flair for a story. It reads more like a novel than an autobiography. I understand there are 3-4 more of these books that fill out her years.

This book deserves **** stars. Definitely glad I heard it in her voice. This is the August book for my book club. So I'm ahead of the game. I am skipping Junes book because I have found another 'great' book to listen to.  

16 comments:

  1. I've had this book on my tbr list for a very long time. I'm at the point where I need to read new books as soon as I can, because if I don't they get put further down the list and I may forget about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very famous book. I have not read it, but I know I should. Maybe one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very famous. Especially since she became so famous.

      Delete
  3. It is a difficult book. I bet her narration is incredible--I love her voice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to put this on my to be read list; I have heard of it. Does sound interesting.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a quick listen and her voice is so good!

      Delete
  5. Hi Paula - how interesting to read your review - I definitely should read it - thanks for letting me know about it - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the life events that led up to her becoming the remarkable woman she was has to be a memorable read!
    Visit me @ Life & Faith in Caneyhead. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand there are several more books that include her autobiography!

      Delete
  7. I think hearing Maya Angelou's story in her own rendition would be very interesting and I have audible books available to choose.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!