I was so excited to do the 31 Days Challenge that was sponsored by The Nester. After all, she is one of the BIG blogs, so I knew this would be good.(But to be honest, I was kind of disappointed that she never found her way over to visit little ol' me.) I thought and thought about what I wanted to write about. And it soon became apparent to me that what I needed more than anything else was patience in my life. I am not, and never have been, a very patient person. Did my 31 Days of Practicing Patience help me become more patient. Nope! It sure did not. It is a whole lot harder than that. But I did learn quite a few things about blog challenges.
- I tried to visit as many of the blogs that were listed that I could. That, to me, is what is so great about these challenges : finding new blogging friends. Or at the very least, new, fresh reading material.
- I visited and commented my way through almost every blog that caught my interest. And that would be well over 100 blogs.
- It was hard to follow some of these bloggers 31 Days series, as the links we were directed to would take us to the very first post and then to find the rest of them you had to wade through the entire blog. Sometimes, I just lost my patience with that and moved on. For future advice to these bloggers: put all your 31 Days post on the first post of the series...the one that you leave in the link. It makes it so much easier to follow your posts.
- And then there were the blogs that didn't make it past day 10 (if even that far) I wonder if The Nester could have used some help in going through and deleting these links from the link up pages so that people who weren't actually doing the 31 day challenge could be removed. They do that with the A to Z Challenge and it makes it so much easier to make your way through the list.
- You sure as heck won't get new followers (or even people that will leave a comment) from these blog challenges. Don't expect to grow your blog this way. I had lots of traffic on my blog. But seldom did anyone leave a comment. I try to leave comments everywhere I go. It is not always possible. Especially if I didn't find the blog interesting TO ME. Most of the time I would let them know that I had been there. And on the other side of this is when someone visits your blog and takes the time to leave a comment, then go to their blog and see what it is all about, and leave a comment thanking them for visiting you. COMMON COURTESY.
- And make it easy to leave comments. Captcha has got to go. It is just annoying. And sometimes when trying to find where the person who commented blogs I would be taken to their Google Plus site and then couldn't find their blog. Make it easier, people. And since I am from blogger, commenting on WordPress blogs was a challenge at times. Isn't there a simpler way to comment on all blogs? If there is, I haven't found it yet.
- I did find some new blogs to follow. My Feedly list is growing by leaps and bounds. I try to read all of the blogs that are on that list every single day. I need to clean the list up some. Sometimes people just quit blogging. And I always wonder what became of them. And I know how life can get in the way of blogging. But, really, it only takes a moment to post why you aren't blogging anymore. I sit here in my little world in Kansas and decide that you must of died. So just leave a line to let me know that you didn't.
But if you are so inclined to want to read all of my posts, go here.
I guess I am guilty of doing some those annoying things. But I don't usually do blog challenges to gain traffic on my blog, more to challenge myself. I've never gathered all my posts on a page, just never thought of doing it.ReplyDelete
Hey I am guilty as well. And the gathering all of your posts on one page is a great idea when there is only one place to link up with the blog that is hosting the challenge. But I don't do challenges to increase traffic either. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with meDelete
I used to want to gain new followers, but then I grew happy with the friendships that I have made and kept with my small following. I am always up for reading other people's blogs though. It may take me a couple of days to catch up on all the posts, but I do get it done. I try to leave a comment wherever I go; especially if I arrive there via a blog challenge. And, I don't know if you are aware, but you have captcha enabled.ReplyDelete
What????? No I wasn't aware. I will fix that right this very moment.Delete
There I hope it is gone...How embarrassing!Delete
Haha!! I thought you knew. It didn't stop me from commenting...lol.Delete
No, I had no idea. I guess when I switched things over to this blog I didn't change the settings. Captcha drives me crazy. But I'll comment too if someone has it, if I have something to say. Heck I find it hard to visit a blog and not commentDelete