Thursday, November 9, 2017

Jane Eyre-A Book Review

This novel was written in 1847! Let that sink in for a moment. I listened to the book on Nook Audio. The story is narrated by the title character (in the voice of Elizabeth Klett). When Jane's parents died she was left orphaned and went to live with her Uncle and Aunt. Shortly after her arrival her uncle dies and she is left behind to be mistreated and neglected by an aunt and two cousins. The aunt is bitter and hateful and doesn't want Jane. Eventually Jane is sent to live at a boarding school. During her time in the school she begins to find herself. She leaves the school and gets her first job as a governess for the mysterious Mr. Rochester. They become friends. And they fall in love. On their wedding day she finds out a terrible secret about her future husband which threatens her happiness. Jane escapes but never forgets her mysterious beau. The ending is satisfying to everyone concerned. 

This is one of those books on every 'must read' list which I have ever seen. I had tried reading it in many years past and just could not get into the story. I will admit it took me a long time to get through the audio book. Not because I found it boring, but because I kept falling asleep and had to go back and listen to chapters again and again. I'm glad I did. This is a classic everyone should read. Jane is a strong, independent woman who came to age in a time of Victorian prejudices against women. A female heroine who does not compromise herself in order to get what she wants. (well, maybe a little).

I will give it **** because it will be a story I won't forget. 

Have you read Jane Eyre?

18 comments:

  1. I read it several years ago. I cannot listen to any audiobook cause my mind wanders and I miss stuff. Probably why I am a visual, not audio, learner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to make my mind stay focused! I think it is a good exercise. That is why is takes me so long to listen to audio books.

      Delete
  2. I do love Jane Eyre. But I must admit that those first 10 chapters are a hard slog. And I probably wouldn't have kept at it had I not seen the BBC miniseries first and known how it turned out. (It's a version from something like 1983-ish. I saw it in the mid-80s. I read it as a teen.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the beginning of the book. The middle drug for me. And then the ending was perfect. I don't think I would have stayed with it as a teen.

      Delete
  3. Over and over and over. I love this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not one who can read books over and over. But I can see why you loved this book

      Delete
  4. I thought I had read this but it must be another Bronte sister book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never read this, but now I have to give it a try!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Paula - it's a lovely book - with a classic tale ... I've read it a few times and seen various productions into tv programmes ... glad you enjoyed it -cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen any productions. But it makes me curious!

      Delete
  7. One of my favorite books of all time. Read it as a much much younger women and don’t remember having problems staying connected to it. Guess the story just appealed to me that much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good love story. And a story of the meek overcoming!

      Delete
  8. Glad to know you enjoyed it, and yes, it's been on my 'must read' list for years, along with a bunch of other classics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to include a classic now and then. I didn't read much in the way of classics through the years.

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!