Saturday, October 14, 2017

Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month

The world has so many days, weeks, and months of rememberances it is hard to keep up with what is going on with all of them. I try to recognize those which have impacted my own life. Like suicide prevention week in September. I was greatly affected by suicide and that is a time I want to remember. In the month of October we remember pregnancy loss and infant death. 

President Ronald Reagan designated the entire month of October as Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness month in October of 1988. All 50 states have yearly proclamations for this month. October 15 is observed annually in Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia, New South Wales, and Italy with candle lighting and remembrance ceremonies. 



October 14, 1974 was the day I became a member of this society. This is the day I lost my sweet baby girl, Elaine. I first wrote about her in this blog post in 2008. I will remember her this Saturday in what would have been her 43rd birthday. I usually take a small pot of lavender mums to her grave site. It isn't a celebration that I find nearly as painful this many years later but one that I will continue to recognize until I meet with her again in my heavenly home.

Do any of you have baby angels waiting for you?

28 comments:

  1. So very sorry about Elaine. I have two sisters who lost a child. One had a miscarriage and they other had a son who was in NICU from the time he was born until his death at age 2 months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be so hard. The loss of a baby is hard no matter how it happens. Thank you for sharing!

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry about Elaine. I will light a candle for you this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paula - I'm sorry to read about this and your beloved Elaine - my thoughts it cannot be easy ... love the idea of the lavender mums - peaceful for you to spend a few moments with her - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry you suffered this loss. I think it is every parent's worst fear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sympathy. I don't have a baby angel myself but there are some of relatives that I will meet someday...my husbands twin brother and sister and a nephew. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember reading about Elaine; such a sad loss; I can't imagine. Lighting a candle is a good way to honor her memory as well as those others who never had a chance to live or lived a short life.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry for your loss. I'm glad that you find it less painful but know that of course the pain never goes away entirely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many of have lost babies, including me. So important to remember them and light a candle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ma! I will be thinking of you too!

      Delete
  9. Forever young. The act of leaving her mums is such a loving, 'mommy' gesture ... poignancy, defined.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have an older baby angel sibling. Sweet post to honor your angel Elaine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry for all who go through this loss. I love that you have a tradition of remembrance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good to keep her memory alive. I knew her for 10 months!!

      Delete
  12. I'm sorry that you lost your little child. And the years don't matter and never will. Remembering her on her birthday is a beautiful thing to do.
    Because you asked, I look forward to seeing my daughter, mother and little brother if I get to heaven. They had such hard lives that I'm sure they are there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hugs Paula...We lit a candle last Sunday in honor of all the children lost.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!