Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Hodgepodge Wednesday



1. Is a picture worth a thousand words? Elaborate.


I do think a picture is worth a thousand words. A picture can tell an entire story (most of the time). Just give me a picture anytime.


2. Have you ever driven any part of the Pacific Coast Highway? If so what was your favorite stop? If not, is this sort of trip on your bucket list?


No, I have never driven the Pacific Coast Highway. I have been on many highways in California and I am just not interested in returning. California was a nice place to visit but I've been and I haven't a desire to go back. It is not on my bucket list. There are many other places I would like to visit in what little bit of life I have left. 

3. How do the changing seasons affect you? As the seasons change do you find yourself looking more forward or backward? Which season-season transition bothers you most? Why do you suppose that is? 


I'm glad I live in a state where we see all four of the seasons. With that being said it never hurts my feelings when the winter season is short and warm. I am not a huge fan of snow or ice. I do like to see a bit of snow on Christmas Eve but that's it. My favorite season is summer. I like both spring and fall but I LOVE summer. 

4. It's your birthday and you get to pick the dinner menu. What are we having? Do you ever lie about your age?


Anything I get to eat with my family is what I pick for the dinner menu on my birthday. If they are here with me then it is the most special day. A little steak and lobster wouldn't hurt my feelings though. And since I turned 21 I have never again lied about my age. I am proud to be 66!!

5. What's a life lesson you've learned recently?


Over and over and over again I have to learn the lessons about why worrying doesn't do any damn good. My favorite book quote of all time comes from a book I read in November 2015, A Time to Love. In the book a grandmother told her granddaughter: "Worrying is arrogant because God knows what he is doing." I need to learn that lesson and quit being so arrogant. In the end it will be what it will be. The end of the story has already been written.



6.  Insert your own random thought here.


Listening to all the news this past weeks about the horrendous effects of the hurricanes makes me realize how lucky and blessed I am in the life I am living. I need to stop and give thanks for the things I have. A roof over my head, enough food to eat, electricity, hot water, a car to drive, and all my family to love. We have everything one could want. Today I am grateful. What about you??

30 comments:

  1. Ah yes, gratitude is a good thing. One I need to practice more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think gratitude is something we all need to practice more often. I have been using my bullet journal to remind me every day

      Delete
  2. If worrying will make it better, be my guest and have at it. It'll be your ulcer and not mine. Not sure arrogance plays a part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still love the quote. And I do believe that we are being arrogant to think that God won't handle it for us! But that's just me!

      Delete
  3. It's true but sometimes we do need reminders to make us appreciate just what we have. To stop worrying is a very hard lesson to learn - I'm still taking lessons lol Thanks for your comment about Nathan. I was there today and had some good "conversations" with him :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading your hodgepodge. Love the quote you shared about worrying. Hope the rest of your week goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great responses, I enjoyed reading all of them! I feel the same about winter, the shorter the better, Fall is my favorite, our summers are so hot and humid. Thanks for sharing.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved your answer to #5. I might have to copy it out and keep it on a note card close to me to read it over and over again as I worry, worry, worry, and then worry. I like that quote Worrying is arrogant because God knows what he is doing. And so true, the ending has already been written. Thanks for sharing that! Needed it today!

    So true too about #6. Gratitude I need more of myself. Thinking of people leaving their homes and not knowing what will be left. Read a report today that 25% of Florida homes had been destroyed after the recent hurricane. I just can't imagine starting over, but many will.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty I think it was you who told me that "the ending has already been written" once and it has always been a gem

      Delete
  7. Hi Paula - lots to think about here ... food - easy! Seafood, preferably shellfish as well, salads, good roast potatoes, fresh veggie from the garden, and I'd love some salami, olives, etc to start with - with champagne - sorry ... don't get it that often! Dessert ... raspberries and cream with home made meringues. Book - I still highly recommend " Time for Gifts" - if you'd like a walk from Amsterdam to Hungary (one third of the story on the way to Istanbul) ... seasons - love the English summer ... take care - family, gratitude and appreciation of the life we have - cheers to you and your family - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes how could I forget about the champagne!! And some lemony for dessert

      Delete
  8. I do try to be grateful for every day. Yes, I too have all I need and feel very blessed. Red Lobster is always my choice if someone is going to take me out to eat for my birthday. Lobster is good but their coconut shrimp is my favorite! Worry is a waste of time for sure ! Not to say I don't get concerned about things but try to turn them over to the good Lord, who can handle things a lot better than I can! Summer is definitely my favorite season too !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to go to Red Lobster quite a bit. But the one that was in our town closed and I haven't been to one since. I might have to search one out!

      Delete
  9. I love that quote about worrying! I'm going to use it on my Mom. She's spend most of her days worrying about things that don't happen. The what-if, what-if, what-if. It's driving her (and me) crazy!

    I so envy you for living in an area that experiences all four seasons. I so miss that! Here, it's just summer and a few weeks of cooler weather on either side of it. I soooooo miss the snow!

    Steak and lobster: sounds good to me! I haven't had lobster in ages!! I'm about due...

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would think that the older we moms get the less we would worry. But it just doesn't seem to work that way!

      Delete
  10. This past week confirmed to my why I am so glad I live in Michigan where we don't suffer through extreme anything! And I love the change of seasons, too! I have never been to California but it is on my bucket list. If I ever get there we will see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have visited California a couple of times. I don't think there is much there that I still want to see. But maybe some people I'd like to visit. You never know!!

      Delete
  11. I too, have never lied about my age. I love being 63 1/2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! ha! It is what it is, isn't it. Lying about it never changes it!

      Delete
  12. We were without power for a few days and I am feeling especially grateful today for hot water, lights, and refrigeration. But especially hot water : ) Hope you have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes hot water is certainly a blessing. Cannot imagine going without it for very long!

      Delete
  13. Ya, Mother Nature sure has a knack for putting things in perspective. Earlier this week the mercury hit a record 110 degrees, but I bit my tongue. One of the things I'm looking forward to most with the upcoming move is getting to witness changing seasons. Little things mean a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is only in the low 70's here today! Wish I had a bit of your heat!

      Delete
  14. Gratitude is a great goal for all of us. I love to drive the coastline from SF to my brother's house. It is always a highlight of the trip for me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My granddaughter called thigns that bothered her 'worrycanes' when she was little. I have driven nearly the entire length of the Pacific Coast Highway. My favorite stop was Kalaloch Lodge at Olympic National Park. Beautiful! Hope you've had a wonnderful week!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!