Saturday, September 2, 2017

August Favorites and a Book review



Wow, can anyone else believe that August is already over? The summer just flew by at this house. And we are happily anticipating fall. Are you?

Some of my favorite things for August included books, pictures, music, flowers and food!

I have been using the Bible Gateway app for 8 months now. I have it downloaded on my iPhone. It sends me reminders everyday and provides me with my daily Bible verse. I downloaded my reading plan and I like to listen to the audio everyday as I follow along. And it's free!! If you are reading the Bible do you use any kind of app?


I think I have a new favorite author too. James Hankins! I have now read two of his books and I really enjoyed both of them. Drawn is a paranormal type book. There are four people who are connected to the story by four very different, powerful sources. A New York artist is painting a mysterious little boy in all her paintings without knowing she is doing it. And he seems to be wanting her to follow him. There is a man who suffers with agoraphobia, following a horrific accident that leaves him almost blind. He is forced out of his apartment by a possible poltergeist. Third is a lonely widow who starts to dream about his missing son. Finally a young boy who has fled his home, after years of abuse at the hands of his father, is fooled into believing the man he is with is going to save him. They all end up in a mountain castle in New Hampshire in a fight for their lives. Very good! Very satisfying ending. Out of my comfort zone. And I loved it. **** stars from me.

In the month of August who can't fall in love with sunflowers? In Kansas this is when the sunflowers bloom. And we have several large fields without driving distance. Since Harley wanted some of her senior pictures taken with the sunflowers we visited several times. What a breathtaking and beautiful site. I even bought some for my dining table this month. And the sunflower is the Kansas state flower. Let's hear it for sunflowers.

I'm still loving my bullet journal. And I'm finding it relaxing and therapeutic to write in it. I keep track of everything here. What needs to be done daily. My gratitude. My moods. Books I'm reading. Schedules, appointments, time lines. Everything! These are a couple of my favorite pages. You might recognize one of them in last months favorites before it was filled out!

My gratitude page


tracking week day happenings





 I made a new recipe this month that both of us fell in love with. Very easy to make and gave us a few days of lunches to boot. It is called Hawaiian Chicken and it is yummy!
Click on the link and it will take you to one of my favorite food blogger sites. I have not made one of her recipes that has left me anything but happy, happy, happy. Of course mine doesn't look like that. But I'm not a food photographer so I'm using her picture. And I'm having some for lunch as soon as I post this!



Lastly, I received a picture in an email this month. And it is my favorite "throwback" picture for the month. This is taken at my youngest brother's house for some holiday or other. Date would have been sometime in the 1980's. Front row is my brother Fred (who passed away in April, my mom, youngest brother Rich, me! Back row is oldest brother Chuck, sister Claudia (twin to Fred) and our step-dad John. The little blond boy behind Fred is his grandson. Little boy off to the side is Chuck's grandson, I think! What a crew!!

So that's it. A few of my favorite things from August. What were you digging in August?


24 comments:

  1. I have the K.J.V. Holy Bible app downloaded to my iPhone as well as the audio version.

    Which bullet journals are you using? I bought two but would like a few more.

    I'm pinning the Hawaiian Chicken recipe and will make it within the next few weeks.

    I love looking at old family photos. They bring back so many great memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Currently I am using the Lemome Dotted journal. I bought a Leuchtturm but it was just blank pages when it came and I need either the dotted or the grid to keep my lines straight. I'm hoping the Lemome will hold the rest of this year. Then I will probably order another one because I really like it and it is affordable.

      Delete
    2. I'm going to have to go to a bookstore and check out some dotted bullet journals. Yours looks so lovely! It really might inspire me to journal!

      Delete
    3. I have been enjoying it so much!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE that olden photo of you and your family! :) How funny to have said 'olden' about the 80's. Good grief.

    That book almost sounds like something Steven King might pen. I've only read one of his books (The Prettiest One).
    Yep, pictures -- and food -- always do it for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the Prettiest One on Audible right now. I hope to listen to it this month. Yes, pictures are my favorite too!

      Delete
  3. Isn't it great to discover a new author that becomes a favorite? I love it when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I might need to take a break from him for a book or two!

      Delete
  4. That chicken recipe looks delicious! A must to be made soon here! Not sure about the author, I can imagine myself perhaps having some sleepless nights? I haven't used an app (yet) for Bible reading, I know there are a lot of good ones out there. I can't believe we are in September already! The summer flew here.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really not spooky reading at all! You will enjoy the chicken recipe I'm sure! Very good!

      Delete
  5. Hi Paula - so glad all the journals are letting you record your various gratitude lists, things to do etc The photo is such fun to see - and I bet brings you happy memories ... have a good week ahead -cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am truly enjoying bullet journaling!

      Delete
  6. Well of course, we made a pretty major trip in August. And I found that an old friend of mine uses the same Bible app that I do! (You version) so now we can follow each other's reading and notes through that.

    I started reading the book "Fervent" based on the movie War Room... which I've not seen. It was sent to me here after we returned from the US, by a friend from church who was telling me about it over lunch there.

    I'm glad September is here - hoping things get back into some semblance of routine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to look into the book you talked about. I hope for a semblance of routine here too soon!

      Delete
  7. Sunflowers are blooming here too. There are lots of them all over. My neighbor has a few in front of her window and they are almost as tall as they are. This August has been usually pleasant for us as it has always been the hottest month of year, but not so this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It surely wasn't as hot here as most Augusts are!

      Delete
  8. Such a nice photo memory of your family. Is Claudia still living and if yes, how is she doing since Fred's death? I must admit to admiring your handwriting in the photo of your gratitude page. As for what i've enjoyed in August...windows open with fresh air in that's less than 80° F!!! Very pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Claudia is still living. His death on her was hard. It was on all of us. Thank you for the compliment on handwriting. I have been working on imporoving it. Oh yes, open windows are something I love too. Especially if it means decreasing the A/C bill!

      Delete
  9. Some good favourites there. I'm working on a bullet journal but it's not as artistic of yours. I've adapted it from what started out as my "home" book - where I kept a to do list etc for the various areas of our home but now I've added in some bullet journal ideas. I didn't want to waste the book. When it's full I'll start a proper bullet journal notebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not usually creative or artistic. Some of mine are stickers. Like the gratitude page. I printed it on sticker paper and stuck it to a page. I'm not really that artistic. But the journaling is fun!

      Delete
  10. I love Bible Gateway, and I miss Kansas sunflowers! I don't see many sunflowers in Missouri.
    Be blessed,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder why Missouri doesn't have as many sunflowers. Our weather is much the same. Have a good weekend Laura!

      Delete
  11. Sounds like you had the perfect month. I love when you share the bullet journal with us and I'm so glad that you are enjoying James Hankins. I downloaded another audible of his because we were going to do a roadtrip to VA to see Chuck and Frank enjoys listening to his work as well. Unfortunately, Chuck's ship has been sent to help out with Irma so our trip is delayed for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about perfect! But I did find some new things to love!! I hope Chuck will be safe!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!