Saturday, August 5, 2017

My Favorite Things in July

We are already at the end of the first week of August! Here are a few of my favorite things from July. 


I jumped on the 'essential oils' bandwagon in July. I bought three. Lemon, grapefruit, and eucalyptus. I've used both the lemon and the grapefruit in my drinking water. I have put lemon in my Scentsy warmer. And I love them. Especially the grapefruit in my water. Oh so refreshing. I'm learning what these three are about before I move onto buying more. Did you know that grapefruit essential oil can stimulating the immune system, curb sugar cravings, and help with weight loss? I didn't know that either. And I'm not sure I totally believe it. But I'm going to research and do my own testing. I bought mine through Grove Collaborative because I get an order from them every three months or so. The brand is Aura Cacia. More affordable than some of the higher priced brands out there. 


My favorite drink in July has to be the Cherry Limeaid. McDonald's put out a fairly decent one this summer. And Harley would make sure I got one at least once a week. But I also tried a new cocktail when I was out to dinner with Justin one evening. 
Watermelon Sangria! Oh my goodness. So delicious.


Back to Grove Collaborative I forgot to mention the Lavender Room spray they sell. I love it. I spray it in my room at night and on my pillow and blanket. And it smells like a tiny bit of heaven. It doesn't take but a tiny mist and it only cost $4.99 for an 8 ounce bottle. Love it! 

I had two favorite books. One I read and one I listened to. I have reviewed them both on my blog. You can find the reviews by clicking on these titles. The Dry by Jane Harper and The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware. Both really, really good books. 

But what I have spent most of July loving has been my new 'hobby' the bullet journal. If you are interested in finding out more about bullet journals visit this blog : Boho Berry. She does some amazing layouts. I'm not nearly that talented. But I am enjoying finding my creative side. I am a list maker and using a bullet journal really allows me to do this. So far in July I have researched moon phases, cleaning challenges, and the Miracle Morning. I use my bullet journal to take notes and see how I can incorporate some of these into my life. Here is just a sneak peek at what I have created thus far.






And finally who doesn't like to eat salads in the summertime? We eat them a lot. And I have my favorites. Here is one of them.


Cornbread Salad 


I adapted the recipe and made it my own. I found the original on Taste of Home which has some fabulous recipes. But here's how I make it.


1 (pan) cornbread cubed
1 small head romaine lettuce, chopped
1 bag mixed salad
2 large tomatoes chopped
1 (15.5-ounce) can red beans, rinsed and drained 
1 (15.5-ounce) can sweet corn drained
1 (8-ounce) package shredded cheddar cheese
1 medium purple onion diced
8 ounces Bacon Ranch Dressing
4 green onions thinly sliced (optional)


Preparation
Layer a large bowl with half each of cubed cornbread, lettuce, and next five ingredients; spoon half of dressing evenly over top.
Repeat layers with remaining ingredients and dressing. Garnish with green onions is optional.
Cover and chill at least 2 hours. Before serving toss gently or serve layered.
We eat ours as soon as I put it together. I don't like for things to get soggy. But it would probably taste good chilled first. 

Hope you enjoyed my July favorites. Did you discover anything new in July that became your favorite??

35 comments:

  1. In the 70's and into the 80's there was a thing about eating grapefruit or drinking grapefruit juice around meals to help with weight loss or burn fat or something. I remember Mama doing it. Only weight watchers ever made a real difference for her.

    As to the salad, at first I thought cornbread?! Then I thought about all the salads involving corn chips and thought "Why not?!" May have to spring this on my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you try the salad Barbara! And I remember the grapefruit diet craze. Thanks for reminding me of it!

      Delete
  2. Wow, how interesting with the salad with cornbread, but it sounds delicious. I'll have to be making it soon! I do spray lavender on my pillow at night. It does help me relax and sleep. I need to get into more essential oils. I have a nurse practitioner friend who has studied a lot of them and recommends a lot of them to patients.

    I just can't believe we are in August already. Driving by a strip mall, I saw a sign advertising the Halloween store coming soon. How did this happen with this year???

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to believe how fast this year is flying by!

      Delete
  3. I do love essential oils and have a diffuser which pretty much scents my house with wonderful smells. I haven't tried them in my water, but will have do so. I also will have to put Cherry limeade on my to list. It sounds wonderful. I may have to stop at McDonalds after church today. Thanks for the tip! Hope you have a relaxing Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not have a diffuser yet. I need to get one. I think it would work better for the oils than my Scentsy melter!

      Delete
    2. I bought both diffusers off amazon. I like mine a lot. Very inexpensive.

      Delete
    3. I will check into that Holli! Good to see you here friend!

      Delete
  4. I'll have to check Grove Collaborative out. I love smells in my house, and usually burn incense, especially lavender.

    I love Raspberry Lemonade. My daughter loves Margarita's.

    I think I'd like a Bullet Journal. I'll click on the Boho Berry link.

    I love salads too! I've been making a cornbread salad for about 30 years, but it's a lot different than yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Raspberry Lemonade too. And Margaritas!! Tell me what you think of the Bullet journal. A good place for creating! You will have to share your cornbread recipe!!

      Delete
  5. Thinking of you and Richard on this special day in 1996. Enjoy the day with your happy thoughts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It would have been 21 years today. And 38 years of being together. Miss him everyday!

      Delete
  6. Your bullet journal is amazing.

    I discovered La Croix cherry limeade this summer--wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kwiz. I am enjoying the Bullet Journal so far. I didn't know La Croix had a cherry limeade!

      Delete
  7. How do you use the eucalyptus, Paula? I love that aroma, but can't visualize it in my water. Mother used to freeze her grapefruit's juice in ice-cube trays and add it to her drinking water. Refreshing, yes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eucalyptus, from what I am learning, is mostly used for sinus and stuffiness. Use it in a diffuser. Or just to make the house smell good. I have seen some places where you can add it to coconut oil and use it like a cream to rub on!

      Delete
  8. Interesting about the Grapefruit oil, it might be good! As you know we cannot do fragrance. My sister in law walked into the house one morning and my husband was gasping immediately and suffered the rest of the day. There is hardly anyplace you cannot go to escape perfume anymore except maybe the grave.
    New stuff in July. a new hobby I want to try...soon when I have time.

    I will think about a bullet journal it sounds like great fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am having great fun with my bullet journal. When I was a nursing student we were taught to not wear fragrances due to how they bothered some people. But some of the most 'smelly' persons were found in the hospital.

      Delete
  9. I loved The Dry, too. The author has a second book coming out this fall -- I think -- already out in Australia and I'm eager to read it. The grapefruit oil looks like a good choice for me, too. I'll be on the lookout for it. Take good care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look for the book. Thanks Carol!

      Delete
  10. Hey lady,i have not been around lately. Yours was one of the very first blogs I came by to say hi!!
    Love that bullet journal. For me right now though it looks pretty time consuming. Maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can put as much time or as little time into the journal. I have nothing but time!

      Delete
  11. The bullet journal looks great. I've just picked up "The Dry" from the library. will let you know what I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anxious to hear what you think Wendy!

      Delete
  12. Does a break in the humidity count as a favorite thing? That salad looks awesome and I finished The Woman in Cabin 10 thanks to your mention of it! That bullet journal is so you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hello! Hello! I have missed you. Did you like the book?

      Delete
    2. I did like the book. Interesting plot idea.

      Delete
    3. I enjoyed it very much as well!

      Delete
  13. Everybody seems to be into essential oils these days. You'll have to let us know how well they work for you. The only time I've used them is for a homemade version of the Poo-Pourri. Worth a try if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep you informed. So far I am loving the taste in my water of the citrus ones!

      Delete
  14. Great looking salad! Yum! Will have to look more into bullet journaling. May be more successful with that than traditional...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm new into the bullet journaling so I'm not sure how much it will help me. But so far it has been fun!

      Delete
  15. Love that journal and your recipe sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. New Diet Taps into Innovative Plan to Help Dieters LOSE 20 Pounds in Just 21 Days!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!