Monday, July 3, 2017

Early July Life List

LOOKING OUT MY WINDOW....

As I sit at my computer desk I can feel the sun shining in the window behind me. But it comes and goes. It is partly cloudy today. It is, also, already 83* at noon. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess it will be a hot day! LOL! But it is summer so that is what it is supposed to be. I love summer. And I love sunshine!

What I'm hearing....Currently the tornado siren is blowing. Nope, I'm not running for shelter. Because it is Monday at noon and the siren always blows on Mondays at noon. That is how they test the sirens to know that everything is up and running. Thank you to the city for keeping us safe!

AS I PONDER....

So much to ponder today. Harley left on Friday for the South Florida missions trip with her church. I was trying to think when the last time I was home ALL alone and I honestly can't remember. It has been years and years. This is a practice run for what life will be like once she graduates from high school and leaves home. (that's her plan anyway) I had Ally (the dog I was sitting) on Friday night and he was picked up on Saturday. So Friday didn't feel "so alone". Saturday night I went to dinner at a friend's house and didn't come home until 3:00 in the morning. I know! Gasp! But we had a good time catching up with each other and sharing our feelings on raising teenage girls. Yesterday I spent sleeping or sitting in front of the TV. I'm certainly not young anymore and can't handle late nights. Even without the booze! LOL. Yesterday afternoon I got a phone call from one of the adults on the trip with Harley. Harley's throat is still sore and red and apparently she is whining about it. Did I think they needed to take her to the doctor?? I think she has sinus drainage and will live. But I gave permission if they wanted to take her. So far, on Monday at noon, they haven't. I'm one of those parents that believe you get colds, you get backaches, you get headaches, suck it up and go on with life. What do you think?? 


What Harley is doing....

Here I will give you a bit of a run-down on what her trip is looking like. They left on Friday and drove until 3:30 a.m. to Nashville, Tennessee. They caught a few hours of sleep in the pews of a local church. On Saturday they got up and drove to their destination of Pompano Beach, Florida. There are 24 kids and 7 adults along for the trip. It was after 10 when they arrived in Florida and they had a shower trailer for the kids to shower in and then bed down in the church. Sunday, after attending church, they headed to their Miami Project; where they helped with feeding the homeless at a park. After that they went to Key Biscayne and grilled and swam in the ocean. Now I will just list what their plans on for the remainder of the week.
Monday...painting, landscaping, clean up at the church who is hosting them. Then snorkeling for fun at Key Largo.
Tuesday...Church projects in the morning and afternoon then heading to Deerfield Beach to eat and watch fireworks that night.
Wednesday...today they break into small groups and go to different places: St. Lawrence Chapel, Broward County Salvation Army, Lifenet for Families. Then dinner and a boat ride at the house of friends of one of the youth pastors
Thursday...All Day they will work with Feeding South Florida project (they will work in a food bank and help serve food to homeless) and get to see how the organization reaches out with food and shower trailers for the homeless of Florida.
Friday..spending all day at beach and an outlet mall
Saturday..head to Nashville, shower at YMCA and sleep at the church
Sunday...arrive back home late evenig....

What I'm Reading...I started a new book, The Woman in Cabin 10, by Ruth Ware. I am almost through with The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F**k. So far, I haven't learned anything about how to do that!!

WHAT I'M HEARING...




Tell me what you think.....

The fourth of July will soon be behind us. I have my mantle decorated in a patriotic theme. What should I change it to for the rest of the summer?? Any and all ideas will be accepted!! I just have no creative juices right now. Does that happen to you too!!

Here's hoping everyone will have a happy and safe Independence Day.




20 comments:

  1. 3AM(!!!) young lady? Wow, I'm impressed!

    Harley's mission trip sounds like the perfect mix of giving and getting! .....What fun to snorkel at Key Largo!
    Being raised by helicopter parents, there's little doubt I'd have been marched into a M.D.'s office ... but you're an R.N. with better instincts, I'm sure.

    I read The Woman in Cabin 10 and really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that I am always that much wiser about medical issues. Just think antibiotics for everything is such a medical hoax. And harmful to the good bacteria along with the bad! We need more caution in my opinion. I am enjoying the Woman in Cabin 10 as well.

      Delete
  2. I think young people today are "soft". We have a lot of women in our office who call in sick because they have a headache.

    Summer trips are fun! Sounds like she is going to be making some great memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with the 'soft' ness. So nuts! Yes, she is making some really good memories. I never had any of the opportunities as a teen that she is having.

      Delete
  3. My book group loved The Woman in Cabin 10!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The place all to yourself. How nice.

    Maybe you need a summer theme for your mantle. Flip flops. Tiki huts. Surfboards. Sunglasses. Deck umbrellas. Like a pool party for your mantle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A summer theme sounds good. I'm looking for props now!

      Delete
  5. I got to check out The Woman in Cabin 10. Seems you and several of your commenters are enjoying it. Harley's week sounds like a full one but also mixed with fun. I hope she feels better soon from whatever is causing the sore throat. I always sent my kids to school if they were "under the weather" unless they were throwing up and it coming out the other end. Otherwise, I would have them try it and if they needed to come home, then to see the nurse, etc. Rarely did I have to pick them up. Knock on wood, haven't had a sick day in almost 11 years with the company I work for. I work through pretty much anything if I get sick. Got to, you know how it is being a parent :)

    I bet it feels a bit weird to be alone for a bit.

    I like Liz's idea with the flip flops, etc. for your mantle for rest of the summer.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the same with my kids Betty. Only a few times did I have to go pick them up. I rarely called in sick at work either. It has been a bit weird to be all alone. Not bad though. I think I could get accustomed to it.

      Delete
  6. Being alone was something that took me quite awhile to get used to , but now I've adjusted. I'm just thankful that some of my family lives close by. That trip does sound the perfect mix of work and play. I always go with seashells for my summer decorating after the fourth. I have some candle holders with seashells on them too. I'll leave the 4th of July stuff up for another week then switch over to summertime. It's beautiful here and could be a more perfect day for the 4th. Hope you have a safe and happy holiday too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I can adjust too. Time will tell. I have lots of seashells throughout my house. I have kind of a beach themed decorating scheme. I hope your holiday was a good one.

      Delete
  7. What, nothing going on in the kitchen. You need a small puppy that will sneak in your purse when you travel and now dogs allowed. That helps living alone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No menu since it is only me. I just eat what sounds good. And haven't eaten out once yet. But that might change. Might need some BBQ ribs!!

      Delete
  8. Hi Paula,
    Happy Independence Day! I was thrilled to hear that you stayed out till 3am and had a good time with a good friend! I love those kind of (surprising) nights: it's been a long time since I've stayed out that late. Back when I owned a bar (for 3 years) every night was coming home in the wee hours of the morning. Nowadays, after I feed the dogs their dinner, I hit the shower, get in my pajamas and climb into the recliner for the rest of the night... I'm a boring old broad now. :)

    Harley's mission trip sounds fabulous. I bet she's having a good time and realizing a lot about life through this experience. Something like that, what they're doing, is sure to have some profound effects. Good for her!

    About living alone: i have years of experience in that one! I actually love living alone. I'm sure it will be an adjustment when Harley leaves and everything settles and becomes quiet but I hope you will find joy in the stillness and the alone-time. I do definitely recommend getting a dog though. I can't say enough about what magnificent companions they are.
    And with my dogsitting business, I always have plenty of canine companionship. I have fourteen dogs here right now. I'm about to give out their treats early, before it gets dark, because the fireworks are going to start and it will freak a good many of them out so I'll be spending my night trying to keep them calm. It's not only the booms from the public displays around here but even though my subdivision doesn't allow fireworks, there are always a bunch of knuckleheads that go out and buy them anyway and then blow them off until well past midnight. I try to keep the TV turned up real loud so the dogs don't hear them as much.

    Hey I really like the song you posted here. I never heard of Ben Haenow before. I like Kelly Clarkson. Good stuff!

    Happy 4th Paula. I hope you get to see some spectacular fireworks tonight!

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Yes, 3 am is late. The friends had 3 kids so they entertained us for awhile. And then we had deeper chats after the kiddos went to bed. I'm pretty boring too. Most of the time (if it wasn't for Harley) I would never leave the house. I think I will be okay with being alone. Others seem more worried about it than I am. I can always go to Walmart if I need a dose of people. LOL! I haven't decided about a dog yet. On the one hand it sounds like good company. But I just don't know if I want to take care of another thing. I've always taken care of someone. And I might not want to do that anymore. But lots of advice being given about that too!

      Delete
  9. Well there's that too. No doubt, dogs do tie you down. Not like a cat that you can leave for a few days. They have those automatic feeders and a litter box and you can slip away for days if need be. Not that I would do that but people do. Not with a dog though. You have to be sure you're back home at a certain time to feed them or after so many hours to let them out to potty so yeah, you do lose that pure freedom when you have a dog. And maybe you just need a break from caring for others, period. It's your turn now. Time to take care of Paula.
    A dog is not a decision to rush into. Maybe you just need to be carefree for a good while and when you're ready for a dog, you'll know it.
    That's how it happened to me. I always felt that my lifestyle wasn't conducive to a dog. I was a total free spirit. I'd go out for a ride and end up not coming home for days because I'd find something fun to do. I liked doing road trips on a whim, that kind of stuff. Me and a dog? Oh no. Then one day I was walking into the local Walmart and there was a crowd of greyhounds at the front entrance and it just hit me: right then and there I said to myself "I think I'm ready for a dog now." I stopped and loved on the dogs and chatted with the rescue group folks. And filled out an application, gave a deposit and the rest is history.
    Bottom line: you'll know when the time is right. Don't let anyone push you into it until you're really ready.

    Yeah, it's definitely Paula time coming up...
    You'll enjoy it. And if you get bored you can always give me a call 😊

    ReplyDelete
  10. That would be awesome Michele! We will see in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Paula, I would imagine that getting used to being alone might be the same sort of adjustment that retirement is. They are both big changes.
    My “puppy” is 16 years old. I have to say that although we love him a lot, he also has tied us down quite a bit. When I think back on the time I got him, I realize that he fulfilled the empty nest syndrome I was feeling. If I had to do it over again, knowing what I know now, I probably would not have chosen to get a dog. Only because at that point in our lives, just retired, we would have done a lot more traveling if it weren’t for Rico. And 16 years is a big commitment.
    I am constantly changing my furniture around, but my mantle stays the same. I like that you change yours for each season or holiday. That’s neat!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't really have to adjust to being retired. I went right from nursing a unit full of elderly to round the clock nursing of my husband. There was not adjustment period. I take your comments about your puppy to heart. That is a bit of what I am thinking! Yes I love decorating my mantle!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!