Wednesday, July 5, 2017

A Jodi Picoult Review

Where There's Smoke


Bestselling author Jodi Picoult is a masterful storyteller, who “writes with a fine touch, a sharp eye for detail, and a firm grasp of the delicacy and complexity of human relationships” (The Boston Globe). Now, in this original short story, available exclusively as an eBook, Picoult introduces Serenity Jones, one of the fascinating characters from her eagerly awaited new novel, Leaving Time.

Even as a child, Serenity Jones knew she possessed unusual psychic gifts. Now, decades later, she’s an acclaimed medium and host of her own widely viewed TV show, where she delivers messages to the living from loved ones who have passed. Lately, though, her efforts to boost ratings and garner fame have compromised her clairvoyant instincts. When Serenity books a young war widow to appear as a guest, the episode quickly unravels, stirring up a troubling controversy. And as she tries to undo the damage—to both her reputation and her show—Serenity finds that pride comes at a high price.
 


From Jodi Picoult, #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Storyteller and My Sister’s Keeper, comes a gripping and beautifully written novella, now available exclusively as an eBook. Set in the wilds of Africa, Larger Than Life introduces Alice, the unforgettable character at the center of Picoult’s anticipated new novel, Leaving Time

A researcher studying memory in elephants, Alice is fascinated by the bonds between mother and calf—the mother’s powerful protective instincts and her newborn’s unwavering loyalty. Living on a game reserve in Botswana, Alice is able to view the animals in their natural habitat—while following an important rule: She must only observe and never interfere. Then she finds an orphaned young elephant in the bush and cannot bear to leave the helpless baby behind. Thinking back on her own childhood, and on her shifting relationship with her mother, Alice risks her career to care for the calf. Yet what she comes to understand is the depth of a parent’s love. 


These two stories came together in one Nook Book from Barnes and Nobel. The first one, Where There's Smoke is a short story. It deals with a medium who reads her audiences and delivers messages from the grave. I'm not sure how I feel about these kinds of people. I don't know if they are 'hucksters' or they might be getting a bit of messages from beyond and make up the rest. I cannot totally deny that our loved ones don't communicate with us. It was a good short story.

The second was a novella...which just means a short book. I really enjoyed this book for the setting. Most of it takes place in Botswana. Among the elephants. And the girl learns an important lesson about parenting. I really enjoyed both.

I will give the book ***

12 comments:

  1. Some mediums are charlatans. Some mediums are really communicating with the other side. You can usually tell the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read one of her books in a bit; maybe I'll have to remedy that with this book. I also have to stop buying books for my tablet and start reading them (I do read them, but then I get an email showing more books available and they all sound too good :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear that Betty! I have quite a few on my Nook. But I think what I need to do is go through and weed out those I know I will never read! I downloaded so many freebies when I first got it. And I am finding that not many of the freebies have been that good.

      Delete
  3. Hi Paula - I have a Jodi Picoult here waiting for me to read "Leaving Time" ... but thanks for these the African one sounds fascinating ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leaving Time is the book that both of these characters for the above stories came from!

      Delete
  4. The African story sounds interesting. As for mediums, I believe there's a demonic element at work there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly. I haven't really made up my mind. I think it is possible for their to be spirits who talk to their loved ones. Maybe just not through a medium

      Delete
    2. I wouldn't think of putting God in a box. He can do whatever He wants. But Old Testament or not, I think Leviticus 19:31 still applies.

      Delete
    3. Nope, I wouldn't think of it either!

      Delete
  5. I think I might be the only person in the world who is not a Jodi Piccoult fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt you are. But I like her most of the time!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!