Monday, June 5, 2017

Thirteen Reasons Why-A Book Review

I don't know how I came to have this audio-book, but I am glad I listened. It opened up some good dialogue with my granddaughters about how cruel kids can be sometimes. And how, sometimes, things can pile up on someone when we don't know what is going on in their lives.

This book is about Hannah Baker. Hannah is a high school student who early in the book commits suicide. She leaves behind a box of 7 cassette tapes with recordings on each side. Each side is reserved for a person from her school who contributed to her death. The box is delivered to the first person in the story who is to listen to all the tapes and then is to deliver them to the next person in the story. And she left behind a box of identical tapes to be played for the entire school if her instructions are not carried out.

The story is told also through the eyes of Clay. Clay had a crush on Hannah and 'made out' with her once but she made him leave and then she died. He has to listen to the entire story to find out why he is part of the reason she killed herself.

A very compelling story. Scary! I liked the dual narrative of the story. It was well done. Both Harley and Paige (and Justin too) had already read the book. I just learned of it. There is also a Netflix series with 13 episodes that recently was released. Paige has binge-watched it too. We talked a lot about the book as we made our way to Georgia. Good conversation. 

I am giving this book **** stars. It was good to listen too. It's a book for young adults that should be read by all. Our world is far to unkind in this day and we need to be reminded to just be nicer. 

22 comments:

  1. Very interesting and thought provoking! So neat too that all could participate in discussing it on your recent car trip. Almost like a book club gathering :) (albeit in a car, but still I'm sure a great discussion!)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, just like a book club on the go!!~

      Delete
  2. Hi Paula - sounds a very interesting read/listen and appropriate for this day and age - as you say we need to be more thoughtful and kind, understand others ... and it does sound like a good conversation for your journey. I'm sure it will benefit many ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heard a lot about this one Paula - will probably watch it on Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's been talked about quite a bit lately!

      Delete
  4. It's on my Netflix list of things to watch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed listening to the book!

      Delete
  5. It's been big at work. Lots of the kiddos are familiar with the story--either they read the book or they watched the series (or both).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it should be required reading for all high school kids. They need to be aware of how they affect another persons life. Even in the smallest way.

      Delete
  6. The wife and I binged it a few weekends ago. We watched the first 11 episodes in a row and then decided we should go to bed since it was 3 am but as soon as we were up we finished it.

    It was very emotional, so sad that people feel that that is the only way out. I can't tell you how many times I teared up watching it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have Netflix but I will watch it if and when I get it. Good to see you Jeff!

      Delete
  7. Sounds powerful - and if the media can be believed - very timely!
    Glad y'all had this opportunity to share thoughts across generations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is powerful! I am glad we got to discuss it too. The one thing I want my family to understand about suicide is that while it may relieve the pain of the person who commits it the pain of those left behind will continue for the rest of their lives!!

      Delete
  8. Interesting. I heard about the outrage over the Netflix series.
    Would you say the show was true to the book? Or over the top?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched the show yet Red!

      Delete
  9. It sounds like an interesting book. I've heard about the outrage over the Netflix series also, but haven't watched any of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched yet either. My granddaughter thought it was good

      Delete
  10. I read this in 2013. It was a very emotional read, but I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know that I am up to such an emotional read right now but I will put this on my queue for when I am feeling strong enough to cope with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really doesn't focus much on the suicide itself. More on what people played a part in it! But I totally understand what you mean!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!