Sunday, June 4, 2017

A Post Military Life List

LOOKING OUT MY WINDOW....

It's been a long day! We got home after 9 p.m. yesterday and found a very warm house with a non-working A/C. This is becoming a recurring problem in the summer it seems. I have lived in this house for nearly 30 years and the last 5 years it seems I need the repairman every summer. The unit is not even that old! But I was not going to call and pay the weekend fee so Harley and I toughed it out today with temps near 80* in the house. Right now the sun has set and it just rained so it is pretty muggy. I want to open a window but I would rather keep the dampness out. Anyway.......


AS I PONDER....

Most of you know we went last week to Georgia. Nearly 1,000 miles each way. We left on Tuesday morning after Justin had his PT for his knee which was scoped on Thursday the week before. He did amazingly well driving the entire way there and back. (Too much of a control freak to allow his mother to help)! Darian's Turning Blue Ceremony was on Thursday morning following a family briefing. This was held on the post at Fort Benning. A beautiful day. Except for the horrid humidity of Georgia. Turning Blue is when the new soldier receives the blue cord worn on his right shoulder to indicate he is an infantryman in the United States Army. This is when we got our first look (and a brief touch) of our new soldier. It was wonderful to see him.


War Dawgs Platoon 3
Darian is 2nd from the left on front row

Uncle Justin putting on the blue cord

Uncle Justin and Darian
Harley, Darian, and Paige
Screaming out the Soldier's Creed


Darian and Mikaela, his girlfriend
Darian and his favorite grandma



After the Turning Blue Ceremony was over the platoons marched off the field (no hugs yet) and returned to the barracks to change into their camo uniforms and returned to us with an 8 hour pass. And strict orders to not go any further than 35 miles from post, no tattoos, no alcohol or tobacco products, no prostitutes. We headed to the PX where he picked up a little gift he had gotten for his Uncle Justin and then to the Army supply store to pick up his "woobie" I had ordered for him with his name embroidered on it. After that we were off to the National Infantry Museum to spend the day. That is quite a place. If you ever get a chance to visit please do. We ate a late lunch there in the Drum and Fife restaurant and the food was excellent. At the end of our time in the museum we headed to a local Mexican place for an early dinner. Darian was nervous and anxious to not be late returning to post. While we were in the restaurant an elderly gentleman loudly (I think there might have been a few beers on board) proclaimed he wanted to buy "that young soldier the best dessert you have in this place". He made a statement to how important these young men are to the United States. Darian was embarrassed but grateful to the old guy who shook his hand for a long, long time. While were were at the NIM an elderly lady stopped to thank him for his service and asked if she could hug him. He will need to get used to all the attention, I think.    




WHAT I AM LEARNING...

It is a different world for our soldiers now. And I am glad. I remember the times following the Viet Nam war when America wasn't very nice to soldiers. They deserve much better. On Friday morning we got up early and headed over to the NIM for the graduation ceremony. It was a very nice ceremony. Following this we got to spend about 30 minutes with him before he had to return to post. Most of the company left on buses for their FDS (first duty station). Darian is headed to Fort Campbell but is being held back at Fort Benning until he gets clearance from the doctor for the infected spider bite he obtained during his final field exercise. It looks nasty but he said it is much better. They have already done one I&D (incision and drainage) and he's on prednisone and antibiotics. When he left to return to the post Justin, Harley, Paige and I headed to Atlanta to put Paige on an airplane to Salt Lake City to see her other grandparents. This was her first solo flight. Then we headed home. Long, long, fast trip. But well worth it!!


  

WHAT I'M READING....


I didn't read much while on the trip but I finished two audio books which I will review soon. Both good books.  




WHAT'S ON MY CAMERA...
eating lunch at a rest stop along the road to Georgia
Darian, Mikaela, and her grandpa who made
the trip with her
Praying at the start of graduation
Darian first on the far left

The girls

going back up the hill to the barracks after his
day with us! Boo Hoo!

Following graduation

Darian with my cousins

Darian and Harley

Darian and granny at the Mexican place
(I can't remember the name of it)

Harley at a rest stop on the way home

Harley trying her first fried pickle 


What's happening in the kitchen...

I have no idea what I'm cooking this week. Need to get the A/C fixed first. My brother is coming on Tuesday to stay for two weeks so we will figure it out soon.





A QUOTE I WANT TO SHARE...







Sharing....


If you would like to view the entire graduation ceremony it appears on the National Infantry Museum's Facebook page. I am going to try to like it here. The video is a ways down the page and is labeled 'was live.' Enjoy. I am very, very proud of this boy. We sent him to basic training 14 weeks ago as a mere 19 year old boy. He is now a fully-grown man. A soldier. An infantryman! He's made me happy! 




34 comments:

  1. That is great that so many of you went to see him! Good for you! Family support is so important to our soldiers.
    I always want to thank servicemen and women when I see them out and about, but I always get choked up! I have very real, emotional memories from the different times both my brothers served. So Thank you! to Darian, but I can't say it in public or I cry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, family support is very important. His other two sisters and his mother (a term I use loosely) were also there. I did a lot of crying this weekend. Very emotional.

      Delete
  2. Congrats to Darian! Job well done in his training!! Now on to the next phase of his journey in his life! So many wonderful memories you will have with you over the next days, months, years of this special time of his! So neat too to see a prayer included as part of the ceremony. Ick on the air conditioning. Hope it is fixed soon. When we lived in San Diego, we didn't have air conditioning. You needed it for about 2 months off and on. Some days the house would get up to 90. I don't know how we survived, but we did. I can't imagine not having air conditioning here!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully I will have the A/C fixed soon. I didn't live in a house with A/C until I was married. I know it is possible to live without it.

      Delete
  3. So glad you had a good, safe trip! What a handsome figure he cuts! I'm glad he accepted the thanks from those he encountered and like you I am so grateful that people realize they serve us all and deserve respect for that whether we agree with what the government asks them to do or where they send them or not.
    Visit me @ Life & Faith in Caneyhead. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara. He is the most handsome soldier ever!!

      Delete
  4. I am proud of your young man, but I am mostly proud of YOU. It was you would took those two children into your home and heart and raised them to be such fine adults. YOU my dear lady. This was your granson's day but also yours!!!! Congrats to all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elaine. Your kind words brought tears to my eyes!

      Delete
  5. Congrats to you and Darian. I can tell that you are a very proud Grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you got to go to the ceremony. I know you must be very proud.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are so young! Good going, Grandma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was one of the things that struck me Joanne, how young they all look and they will have guns and protect US!!

      Delete
  8. Way to go Darian!! You have every right to be proud of him. I think, just my opinion that those of us (Military families) that were treated so shabbily during Viet Nam are the ones that show respect and support to todays military. Hope you get your Air fixed before you melt! It is warm here, I can only imagine how warm you are :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are all fixed up a/c wise and much cooler tonight! I am glad they are showing respect too. And you are right most of them are in that age range of those who were not treated right. So sad!

      Delete
  9. Welcome back! What a beautiful post...so filled with family togetherness, pride and love. Nice big group of Darian fans made the trip to see him. Sorry to read about his infected spider bite. Good thing this all happened when Harley an Paige were out of school so all could go. It's good to read that folks are treating your soldier with respect. You've had a very busy trip. Glad you're back safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harley said she would have just had to skip school because she wasn't going to miss this. Yes, I am really proud of how America is now treating our soldiers. (He's your soldier too, LOL) I'm glad to be home!!

      Delete
  10. Hi Paula - yes ... how young - but what lovely photos you've got ... I sure hope that buggy bite heals properly, so he can continue on with his training. Love the quote and The Badge of Honour ...

    I hope the air con will soon be fixed and it'll be lovely having your brother to stay ... but Darian has done so well ... lots of memories ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The doctors released him today so I guess they feel it is healed enough! Now he just has to wait to report to his first duty station. His training is over for now!

      Delete
  11. I bet you were so glad to see him. Will he be stationed near you now?

    I don't bother turning on the a/c for anything under 85 degrees. We'll get there soon enough. (Perhaps in the spring from now on you should have someone come out and check it before the hot weather starts. Might help.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He will eventually report to Fort Campbell Kentucky. That's about 8 hours from us! Whoa I can't imagine not turning the A/C on until 85*.

      Delete
  12. Sounds like you had a wonderful albeit emotional time watching Darian grow up. Good for the man sending a dessert Darian's way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. YAY! ... and what a transformation! Darian certainly cuts a fine figure in his uniform, with that posture. I know you're so very proud; and I'm tickled to hear he had such a great turn-out. (Here, I thought it was just you and Harley making the trip.) Love the photos that tell a story all their own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it was Justin, Paige, Harley and me in one car; his girlfriend and her grandpa in another and my two cousins in the third. His worthless mom and two older sisters came to. They drove all the way down and arrived in time for graduation and got to talk to him 5 minutes before he had to report back to post!! Dumb!

      Delete
  14. What a great moment in all your lives. And you documented it so well Paula. We can tell how proud you are - as you should be.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad you were able to make the trip. It sounds like a whirlwind full of memories. I had fried pickles this weekend and they were amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kwiz. Fried pickles are the best, aren't they!

      Delete
  16. Your grandson looks very handsome in his uniform. It's a very good thing that soldiers are treated with the honor and respect they deserve these days. Not everyone is willing to put themselves in harm's way as they are, and without them we would be more vulnerable than we are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should love and appreciate our soldiers just because they are willing to serve and protect. Same with the police officers!!

      Delete
  17. I've been so swamped that I am just now getting around to visit you. So glad that you had a nice visit and I hope his bite is healed and he is on his way to his next duty station. I also missed your entire visit with your brother. Hope it was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a good trip and a great visit with my brother too!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!