Wednesday, April 19, 2017

My Life List April 19th Edition

LOOKING OUT MY WINDOW....
Looking out my window today I am seeing the sun shine. We are in a wind advisory however. And it is 82*! Summer arriving right on the heels of Easter? Or will next week be back in the 50's? Who knows. It's Kansas!!

AS I PONDER....

I am pondering the busy days that are ahead. I haven't gotten much done. I have had foot problems all week. (No, I didn't go to the doctor)! My right big toe was swollen, hot, and red. At the joint. Sounds like gout? That's what I'm thinking. Now it is in the second and third toe too. Hurts like heck and very hard to walk. My dad suffered with gout and all three of my brothers have had it at one time or another. So between hot soaks, cold packs, and lots of ibuprofen I haven't done much but sit with my legs elevated all week. Not what I had planned on doing. But it is what it is! 


WHAT I AM LEARNING...

Every single day I learn that I just need to go with the flow. What will be, will be! And all that jazz. I guess there is nothing on my plate that can't be put off until another day. It is just annoying to me when I can't do the things I want to to do.

WHAT I 'M CREATING...

I'm slowly changing over from the Easter mantle to just a spring mantle again. Then the first of May I will probably switch it up to my red, white, and blue for Memorial Day and the fourth of July. That should do it for a good bit. 



WHAT I'M READING....


I finished reading The Memory Keepers Daughter. Stay tuned for my review. I like it! Now I am reading Before The Fall by Noah Hawley. I am really getting into get. It's a page turner for sure! I also made it through the Easter season in the book Living The Christian Year. This is a devotional book that my God & Glam group is reading. And I am still working on Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman (yawn) for book club next week. I doubt I will finish it. Just not that into poetry right now!


WHAT I'M WATCHING...


I've been trying to catch up with Naked and Afraid episodes that I missed. I don't know why I find that show so fascinating, but I do. And I'm watching Survivor! And Dancing With the Stars, of course. Was glad to see 

WHAT I'M HEARING...


I'm listening to the news. All about Bill O'Reilly! Another one bites the dust!


WHAT'S ON MY CAMERA...


I have pictures on my camera, I'm sure. I am just not in the mood today to hook the phone to the computer and do all that transferring. I know that you will forgive me.


WHAT'S HAPPENING IN THE KITCHEN...


Monday...Taco Bell

Tuesday...Hamburger steaks, sweet potatoes


Wednesday..Ham, baked potatoes, broccoli

Thursday...Ham and Cheese Sandwiches

Friday...Pizza

Saturday...Granny is on her own

Sunday...Haven't yet decided

A QUOTE I WANT TO SHARE...





















A peek into my week...

The week is half over. I am hoping next week will be a better week. We have the first (she's going to two) prom this weekend so the week is all about getting ready for prom. She is excited, needless to say! I can't wait to share pictures next week

  
A final thought...

It has been a hard week. I feel out of sorts. I know it is grief! Life WILL go on!! Thanks for visiting me today!

28 comments:

  1. Easy does it, m'friend. I'll never forget my own episode(s) with gout ... wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.
    I've not heard anything about O'Reilly yet.

    Can't wait to see next week's prom pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will share the pictures! I wouldn't wish this gout pain on anyone either. Well, maybe someone I really, really don't like!! LOL

      Delete
  2. I'm excited to see prom photos!

    And why haven't you gone to the doctor about your foot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About going to the doctor. First of all it is expensive! Yes, I have Medicare but it doesn't pay for everything. And I live on a budget. A tight one sometimes. I've seen plenty of gout in my years of being a nurse. I am positive it is not an infection. (I would head to the doctor for that) and I cannot take most kinds of pills. So, I suffered silently (mostly) at home. It is so much better than it was. I can actually walk today!!

      Delete
  3. So sorry to read about your gout. I don't have it, but my Officer Friendly did. I took him to the ER twice with terrible episodes, but he had A-fib so he had to be in the ER when his gout was bad. Two proms! Two dresses or the same one? Will look forward to photos. I'm glad you are taking care of yourself. Good to hear from you. We're listening to a thunder-boomer outside tonight and when I rolled into the garage, it was 47°. I know you're jealous of the cool temp. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard had A-fib too! No, only one dress. That was my rule if she accepted two invitations. It is expensive enough to just go to two proms without buying two dresses.

      Delete
  4. I'm going to repeat it: why haven't you gone to the doctor about your foot? It might not be gout and you might be able to do something to get rid of the pain.

    Two proms... Wow. How did that come about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About going to the doctor, see my answer to Kwizgiver above. I'm stubborn too! I'll throw that out there before anyone else can! LOL
      Quite awhile back a young man from church (he's a friend of hers and has a bit of a hard time getting a date. He has Autism not that it matters) asked Harley. He's had a crush on her forever. She told him she would go but only as a friend. She told him not to go getting crazy and saying she was his girlfriend. LOL! He is so excited. He's shared her picture all over the school. Tells everyone "look at my hot prom date". This is a different school than the one Harley goes to. Most of the kids don't believe he is bringing this girl to his prom. Will they ever be surprised. They will have a blast. Then she got the second prom invitation a couple of weeks ago to her high school prom from a kids she has a bit of a crush on. He handed her a small silver box and inside was a bracelet his mom had made with beads and the letters PROM with a ? on the inside lid. Over the top thrilled she is!! That will be the first prom this weekend! And then I'm pretty sure she has a new boyfriend!!

      Delete
  5. Just read your comment about the young man Harley is going to prom with who is autistic. How sweet Harley is going to prom with him! It warms my heart. My daughter, also autistic, asked the most popular guy at school when she was in high school to a dance. He already had a date for that particular dance, but said he would go to prom with her. He knew her because they both hanged out a lot at their school counselor's office (the counselor was a wonderful lady). He made prom so special for her. He rented a limousine, he matched his outfit with the color she was wearing, he took her to the best restaurant in town and even cut her meal up for her (she also had a physical disability). He paid for everything, took pictures of them together at the prom, etc. Still to this day when I look at the pictures I always say "thank you Michael Williams" (even wrote a blog post about it) for what he did. So Harley indeed is special for going with this young man to prom and I can guarantee his parents are in "seventh heaven" for her accepting his invitation.

    I know you will go to the doctor about your foot/toes when you feel you need to. In the meantime, hope everything feels better soon!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to read that post on your blog! I will look for it Betty. Yes Harley has a big heart. When she heard that he had asked others and they turned him down she was so sad. When he asked her she jumped for joy!!I did not know your daughter was autistic. I have a step granddaughter that I have wondered about but she was never diagnosed. Thank you! My foot is somewhat better

      Delete
  6. Key word here, "ALLOPURINOL". Welcome to our world. Haven't had a major attack since I started taking 300mg daily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not good with pills. Everything makes me sick! But if this happens again I will have to get some. But that means I'll have to go to the doctor. LOL

      Delete
    2. Hurt less going to doctor than the gout does. Remember mine also got on an ankle, both knees, an elbow and both wrist. Not all at once though. All gone now

      Delete
  7. My grandfather suffered from gout. I know you're a nurse so probably know how to treat it and about cutting back on red meats.

    Looking forward to seeing Harley's prom pics!

    Right now I am reading Jon Krakauer's 'Into Thin Air' about the 1996 Mount Everest climbing disaster. A beautifully written account of a terrible tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a good book. I read the one called Dead Mountain about the Dyatlov Disaster. Actually I listened to it. All those Russian names would have made me crazy.

      Delete
  8. Your granddaughter is so sweet! I hope she has a wonderful time! I would mention osteomyelitis for your foot but it sounds like you are pretty sure it's not an infection. Hope it heals fast either way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She will have a wonderful time, I know. No, I'm pretty sure it isn't an infection.

      Delete
  9. Hope you feel better soon. Cant wait to see the prom pictures! I know she's so excited- i loved my proms.
    Hugs to you friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the two I went to as well Holli. And one of them I went with my cousin!! We had a blast

      Delete
  10. I love it that Harley has it in her heart to be kind to the autistic boy. My father had gout but was allergic to allopurinol and had to take something less effective. Some people with gout, such as my father, would get kidney stones from the uric acid deposits so please make sure you are well hydrated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have been floating. I also tried Apple Cider vinegar and honey! Which did work, but it tasted horrible. And Harley has a very kind heart!! Thank you for noticing.

      Delete
  11. Have you tried some cherries or cherry juice for the gout? That seems to be the first line of defense from the old folks I know that have had it.
    I hope you feel better soon. Take what time you need to feel better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard about cherry juice. I shall get me some. Thanks for the advice and the good thoughts!

      Delete
  12. You sound like my mum, Paula who is also suffering from toe problems but refuses to go to the doctor's!!! I thought you got gout from drinking too much - it seemed to be "all the rage" in the Georgian and Victorian period over here in Britain :)
    Lovely to hear about Harley and how she has two proms to go to and the story behind it - once again her beautiful soul shines through - and that's because of you. YES IT IS - don't sit there with your foot up and deny it!!! Take care, my friend :)
    http://pempispalace.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/q-is-for-quixotic-quidditch.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is one cause of gout. I don't hardly drink so that isn't the case here!! Thank you Pempi you are so sweet!

      Delete
  13. Gout: The husb and his dad had it. Its in the food. Take out citrus, wine (bummer), red meat (another bummer, but have chicken), dairy (triple bummer but coconut mile and almond milk is good, no soy, don't go off this. Inflamatory is a big part of gout so no salt. Ughghgh... I know its hard. This is the diet I went ono for my back. Felt almost 100% after one week. The husb too. Hope you feel better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there are a lot of dietary restrictions involved. Don't know that I will do all that. It is better now!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!