Sunday, March 5, 2017

March Came in Like a Lion List List

LOOKING OUT MY WINDOW....

It is dark and it is hard to tell if the sky has dark clouds or if it is smoke. Wild fires all around us this weekend. Some are pretty close. The air smells of burning grass. We've had some gusty winds. The temperature is hovering in the lower 60's but feels colder due to the winds from the north!

AS I PONDER.... 

I'm pondering what it would be like to have minutes to evacuate your home because of fire. What would you grab? Do you have a plan? I would grab my phone, my checkbook, a picture album or two, shoes, coat, Harley and we'd run! Maybe it would be wise to have a bag with stuff in it we would need! Heck, I don't know! 

They did evacuate hundreds of families  to the northwest of me. That is what brought me to pondering this. These families are now back in their homes. 2000 acres were burned but no houses destroyed.


WHAT I AM LEARNING...

I am going to begin memory planning in a Happy Planner. I got a really good deal at Hobby Lobby on a big planner and I am learning how to order my pictures in little bundles of 4 from Walgreen's very cheaply!


This is how I get them. Each sheet like this is $.39! I cannot print pictures on my printer this cheap. Then I just cut them apart and use a tape runner to put them on the planner pages. I'll share when I get my first spread completed. Also, my darling granddaughter, Harley bought me a Sprocket for my birthday (not until April). If you don't know what a Sprocket is you can click on the word and it will take you to Amazon to read all about it. I think the main reason behind her buying it for me was so she could use it too. LOL! And that is okay! We will choose wisely what pictures to print with the Sprocket because the papers are a little expensive (I think)!






WHAT I 'M CREATING...

I guess from the 'What I'm learning' you can see what I'm creating. I also am still working on learning all that I can about those altered books. We are going to the Goodwill this week to see what kinds of books I can find to make one for Darian!


WHAT I'M READING....


With all of my other reading about the things I am crafting I am not getting much of my book read. So I am still reading The Nest!


WHAT I'M WATCHING...


I've been watching our President make more of an ass of himself on TV! I do not really know what is wrong with this dude. Now he is convinced that President Obama was listening in on his phone calls!!! I think this guy has so much to hide that he is so paranoid!! (Sorry if you are a Trump Supporter) Not sorry, really! But, my blog, my opinion!!

WHAT I'M HEARING...


I am currently listening to the sports news on TV. Our Wichita Shockers will be going to the NCAA tournament. Go Shockers!!

A recipe to share...

One Pan Chicken & Orange Chili Noodles


Ingredients

2 tbsp. olive oil
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
3 cups chicken broth
¼ cup vegetable oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp. peeled, minced fresh ginger
1 tbsp. frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed I doubled this)
1 large orange, zested and juiced (I didn't have an orange so I left this out)
¼ cup soy sauce
⅓ cup sweet hot chile sauce (I used more of this)
1 large onion, cut in half and then into slices
16 oz. pot-sized spaghetti pasta
2 cups shredded cabbage (we skipped this)
1 cup matchstick carrots
8 oz. sugar snap peas
Chopped green onion, for garnish, optional




Preparation
Instructions
  1. In a jumbo cooker, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken pieces and cook 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the chicken begins to brown.
  2. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the chicken broth, vegetable oil, garlic, ginger, orange juice concentrate, fresh orange juice and zest, soy sauce, and sweet hot chile sauce. Set aside.
  3. Once the chicken begins to brown, add the onion and stir-fry for 3 minutes. Add the uncooked spaghetti pasta to the skillet with the chicken and onion. Immediately pour the prepared sauce over the top. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 10 minutes.
  4. Remove the lid and stir the pasta. Add the cabbage, carrots, and sugar snap peas. Raise heat to medium and continue to cook and stir until the liquid is mostly gone and the pasta is tender, about 7-10 minutes.
  5. Immediately serve with chopped green onion, if desired.
Oh my gosh! This recipe made a lot! I will eat for lunch a couple times this week. And it was very, very good. Justin and I LOVED it. Paige picked out the carrots and peas. It tasted even better the second day. Let me know if you try it! This will become a regular on our meal rotation



WHAT'S HAPPENING IN THE KITCHEN...

Monday...Chili dogs, (special request)

Tuesday...Cheeseburger sliders

Wednesday..Harley will eat at church

Thursday...Mediterranean Couscous

Friday...Chicken Pot Pie

Saturday...Cheese Filled Jumbo Shells

Sunday...Omelets


A QUOTE I WANT TO SHARE...





A peek into my week...

I am going to keep working in Darian's room this week. Almost ready to crack open that gallon of paint! Yes, I am! And work on my scrapbook! Might take a drive to Michael's in Wichita. We don't have one here. We do have Hobby Lobby though. And I love them. Too much!


A final thought...

We got our first letter from our soldier this week!!! It was a happy day! He didn't really say much. (I think it was written while he was still in reception). But we now have an address. And he asked granny to send envelopes and stamps. So we sent a small package out on Friday! I hope he gets it soon. He sounds good! It made my heart happy to hear from him. (and his sister and I might have shed a tear or two. But don't tell).

28 comments:

  1. I cried EVERY day my son left us when leave was over and some in between. Military families suffer in many private ways. But feel pride as well. Thank you for his service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when my oldest son left home the first time. I cried everyday for months And he only moved to the other side of town. I am not crying now with Darian. (At least not everyday) But I do miss him and I worry about him!

      Delete
  2. I have mentioned that I had a co-worker who acted really strange. Made idiotic statements and was sure the police were tracking him. I kept telling folks he was delusional. Turns out he had a brain tumor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt that is the problem of the President. Or he has had that tumor for a realllllllllllly long time!

      Delete
  3. That recipe does sound good. I am going to try it, but I agree I don't think I will put the cabbage in either. Glad you heard from Darian. You will have to show us a picture of his roombwhen it is painted!

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will HAPPILY share a picture when I am finished with that room! I would cut the recipe in half if you are only making it for the two of you! It makes a lot!

      Delete
  4. That one pot meal sounds intriguing. An unusual mixture it seems, but when it comes to spaghetti, there is a lot of different things you can do for sure. Glad you go that letter and an address. When sorting through things here and packing I found several from my son when he was in the military. I know what a joy it was when I'd get them. He traveled a lot and the one I found yesterday was from Spain. Be interesting to see where your Grandson will go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was an unusual list of ingredients too! But it was soooooo good! I can't wait to see where the Army takes Darian. I just hope it is not all war zones!!

      Delete
  5. Well...about the leaving because of a fire...I had to do that once. I had less than ten minutes. I snatched my baby daughter (Angel was a wee thing) from her crib, grabbed our winter outerwear, her little warm blankets, stuffed my wallet in my pocket and dashed down the stairs of the apartment building through smoke...on Christmas Day night. I pray you never have to leave like that because of fire. It's frightening. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Sounds good!So glad you heard from Darian. A road trip to Michael's sounds fun. Hope you get to do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Gram that must have been so frightening!! I need to keep in mind what I would grab. And keep it handy, I guess!

      Delete
  6. Do you find it harder to cook for two? We do. It seems a Sunday meal is leftovers for several days. But, there's no prep work there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is much harder to cook for just two. On the weekends, however, Justin and Paige are usually here so cooking the bigger items takes place then! And I don't mind leftovers.

      Delete
  7. I sit here, reading the paper and seeing what new stupid thing Trump has come up with. And then I bang my head on the wall a few times... Soon, I will have no wall left - ha!

    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you Linda! He is acting like such a baby!!

      Delete
  8. I really enjoy these organized posts of yours - As for Trump...I have decided it is better for me, to stop obsessing on his every move or it's going to be a very long 4 years. Getting away this weekend, we did not listen to any news and you know what? We didn't miss a thing. LOL. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debby! I think I am hearing what you have to say about not obsessing about Trump. But I also think it is necessary to keep an eye on him!!

      Delete
  9. When I was in the 5th grade, a local apartment complex burned to the ground. A classmate came to school in her pajamas that day. They lost everything, and they had no time to grab anything before they had to flee. Fires are scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had families here too! Except all the schools were closed because of the fires! So no one had to go to school in their pj's!

      Delete
  10. That Sprocket-thingie sounds SO cool! Wish my grands lived a wee bit closer so I'd have an excuse to gift them.

    I was just wondering today what you've heard from your soldier. While my son was in Desert Storm, any communication was reason to celebrate ... and yes, shed a tear or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One single letter is all we have gotten. One letter, a couple of phone calls and his picture does not show up in any of the sites where they are showing pictures. At the moment I am not a fan of the US Army!! LOL

      Delete
  11. I am so sorry to hear about the wildfires. I am glad the folks got to return home and hope that all of you will remain safe. Fires are very scary!

    That Sprocket printer sounds like a really cool idea, almost like having a Polaroid camera. I always enjoyed those and could blow through a pack of film in about two seconds. haha It is very expensive that way, but what fun!

    It is so exciting to get that first letter from our boys, isn't it?! I practically pounced the mail person while waiting on letters from Davey. When we'd get one, I would run back into the house on the verge of an asthma attack just to let his daddy know we'd gotten a letter from him. :)

    I hope that Darian gets your package soon. One thing you'll learn about military mail (if you don't know it already) is that it is painfully slow and very frustrating. Davey (our Marine) never did get the birthday card that we sent to him last May. :(

    Your boy is in our prayers as are you and Harley as you get adjusted to this military family life. {{{Hugs}}}

    Here is my post: Currently...A Life List

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzanne. I will get over there and read your list!

      Delete
  12. Hey, hey, hey....I finally found your blog.. I for the life of me couldn't remember it from the daybook days.... but I am back, and will have your blog listed in my sidebar... anyhooo.... I too think I am done with being told how I can link my blog posts with a certain one.... I don't get her reasoning, but whatever! I will have to look into the picture thing at Walgreens, to add to my Happy Planner!! Hope you have a great week!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey welcome back Jodi. I think people will eventually get over all of her BS about how to set up your own Daybook. You are more than welcome to use my format and do whatever you want with it. I am not going to complain!

      Delete
  13. Your recipe sounds wonderful, he is a stone mental and I would grab Frank and my dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your recipe sounds good. I always enjoy reading these post of yours Paula but sorry to hear about the fires. I read your next post too so I'm glad you didn't have to evacuate and how kind of you to put up people who had to leave their home. It must have been very scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad we didn't have to evacuate either. It was very scary!!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!