Wednesday, March 1, 2017

A Slowly Crafty Hodgepodge

Hump Day! Hump Day! Can you hear that silly camel saying it? Time to visit Joyce at From This Side of the Pond and play along! Then visit some of the 'podgers' and give them some love!


1. 'Slow and steady wins the race'...tell us about a time this was true in your own life.

When I went back to school in the very early 1980's I had two small sons at home. Danny was 9 and Justin was 5. Justin had not even started school yet. I decided I wanted to go to college and become a nurse. So, slowly, I started to take classes. All the prerequisites first. Then the final two years of the nursing degree classes. Slowly, steadily, I made it to the end and graduated in May, 1983! 

2. 'As slow as molasses'...Do you like molasses? How about maple syrup? Caramel? Butterscotch? What's your favorite of the slow moving treats mentioned here, and what's your favorite food made with that sweet treat? 

I used to tell Richard he moved 'slow as molasses'. My favorite of these slow moving treats is caramel. Or maybe butterscotch. And what could be better than an ice cream sundae topped with whipped cream and a maraschino chery!!! 

3. Your favorite slow song? 
When I first met Richard he was a 'whiz-bang' of a dancer. Me, not so much! But I loved going dancing with him. Over time he taught me to waltz. This is the song we danced to 'over and over and over' until I could waltz pretty well. Richard got to where when he heard this song he kind of winced. I never stopped loving it. Whenever I hear it now I can close my eyes and find myself in his arms once again. (The man could twist as well as Chubby Checkers, too)!




4. Your favorite thing to make in a slow cooker or crock pot?


Best Ever Beef Stroganoff 

Ingredients:

2 cans condensed Golden cream of mushroom soup (10 and 3/4 oz. each)
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire
1/2 cup of water
1/4 teaspoon Garlic Salt
a dash of Paprika
1 yellow onion, chopped (~ 1 cup)
2 pounds cubed stew meat
8 oz. cream Cheese,
12 oz. bag of Egg Noodles


Preparation:

Put first 5 ingredients into crockpot and cook for 8-10 hours on low
20 minutes before serving. Cook noodles and add cream cheese.
Yumm!!!

My family loves this!! Even the picky-one (Paige)! 


5. 'You may delay, but time will not.' ~Benjamin Franklin Are you more a hurrier or a delayer when it comes to unpleasant tasks that need doing? What are you currently either delaying or hurrying to get through this week or month?

I fall into the 'delayer' category. Is that the same as being a procrastinator? I have been meaning to paint Darian's bedroom for close to three years now. I had the room prepped (as in nail holes Spackled and sanded) when Richard died and I haven't gotten back to it. You can imagine how the room looks! (I refuse to take a picture). It has become a family joke now! But I will certainly surprise them someday with a painted bedroom. I don't really like to paint!! It's not so bad, once I get started, it's the getting started part that is hard!!

6. Tell us three things you encounter regularly or even just occasionally that you find to be annoyingly slow.

1)Traffic! Especially down the main street by my house. The speed limit is 45 but people are usually driving 35! Drives me insane! 
2)My granddaughter when she gets off work! She never comes right out. She has to stand around and gab with her friends for a bit. It's not like she just spent 6 hours with them!!! She's the same at church. I spend a lot of time waiting on her.
3)MY INTERNET....not nearly as fast as it used to me. I think they do that on purpose so I will sign up for the more expensive package.

7. March is National Craft Month. Are you crafty? Tell us about something crafty you'll try in the next thirty one days. Or something crafty you'd like to try or wish you had the skill to make happen.

I have been watching You Tube videos about making 'altered books'. I am fascinated and want to make some of these for myself. Don't know when I'll get around to it. But I will continue to learn and collect the supplies. Here is one of the videos I have watched:




8. Insert your own random thought here. 


24 comments:

  1. Your beef stroganoff recipe sounds so good! I may try it soon! Traffic was my number one, too! I'm going to read some of your other posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make yourself at home Lisa. Let me know if you try the recipe!

      Delete
  2. Fascinating with the altered books. Never heard of them before. I am definitely going to make your stroganoff recipe! I like something I can prepare in the beginning of the day and just add a final touch or two before dinner. Sounds yummy! Too funny that people actually drive below the speed limit!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of people drive slow in this town! Hope you like the stroganoff!! I'm fascinated with those books too!

      Delete
  3. I think I may have to try that beef stroganoff recipe. I'm a delayer, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of us are delayers!! Let me know what you think of the recipe!

      Delete
  4. You certainly find interesting crafts. I have not heard of alteredbooks, but...I watched the video you inckuded. Good luck with painting Darian's room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need the luck! LOL! Isn't it fascinating...the altered books. I have two in mind I would like to try!

      Delete
  5. I can't wait to 'graduate' to retired and do things like these altered books!
    Will definitely be sharing the stroganoff with Tom. This sounds much like what he 'builds' his lunches on.

    PS - I LOVE Tennessee Waltz, but more so Patsy Cline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I can't wait for you to graduate either! I love Patsy Cline too Myra!

      Delete
  6. High, Paula! Enjoyed your answers. My Daddy taught me to waltz.
    Your recipe sounds very yummy! I may actually try it. I usually just do stroganoff with Hamburger Helper. :P
    Barbara from Life & Faith in Caneyhead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is NOTHING like the hamburger helper kind. But we eat that too!

      Delete
  7. Ever since I retired I've been living life in the slow lane. Truly the hurrier I go the behinder I get. Taking things slow and easy is the best way for me. And taking one day at a time is my way to do that. Definitely doing the slow dance here ! I love the slow cooker recipe too and have fixed something similar but your addition of the cream cheese sounds yummy! Slow cookers are a wonderful invention !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't the slow lane nice? I take it one day at a time too. And if I don't get to it today there is always tomorrow! Or the next day! I am such a procrastinator.

      Delete
  8. Hello from one Paula to another! I'm visiting via the Hodgepodge. Another thing we have in common is frustratingly slow internet. I'm going to add your stroganoff recipe to my "try this" list. Sounds like a good one. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Paula! I always enjoy meeting more Paulas. You will like the stroganoff! Guarantee it!

      Delete
  9. The stroganoff ..... yum! I just purchased a roast and I will be cutting half of it into chunks to use for your recipe. It is hard to buy and cook just for two! I raised 6 children, so I always tackle the least desirable chore first to get it over with! I love crafts and this month I will be working on my Fairy Garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that it is hard to cook for just two. There is just Harley (granddaughter)and myself now. We tend to eat salads and sandwiches a lot. I want to do a Fairy Garden too!!

      Delete
  10. Paula, thanks so much for visiting my blog for The Hodgepodge, this week. I've been reading your blog for a while, but don't often comment.
    I love that your hubby taught you how to walz, and that you had a special song :) I know you must miss him terribly.
    That recipe for stroganoff sounds delicious. I think I'm going to give it a try.
    Also, kudos to you for going to school to be a nurse, later in life! That takes guts and a lot of determination.
    Kathy (Reflections)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do miss him! And the recipe IS delicious. I hope you try it. Thanks for visiting me!!

      Delete
  11. It used to bug me having to wait on people, but now I listen to audiobooks so it doesn't bother me. Sometimes I wish they would have taken longer lol!

    I'm pinning your Beef Stroganoff recipe. It sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I'm not pinning it (I think I pin too many recipes), I'm copying it.

      Delete
    2. It is a delicious recipe. The cream cheese makes it!!

      Delete
  12. I have been involved with two round robins of altered books, it was great fun! Just find an old book and go for it!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!