Tuesday, January 3, 2017

What I Am Fighting For in 2017

Hello January! After several months of being busy with holidays and family gatherings we arrive in the month of January with not so much to do. Well, not at this house anyway. I hope all of you are finding time to snuggle under a warm blanket with a good book, a hot cuppa whatever it is you like to sip on and an empty page to fill with your hopes and dreams for the coming year. 

For the past few years I have made goals in January. And shared them with you here and here and here. This year I am going to do things a bit differently. I am still going to work on the same basic things I always have. But I am going to go about it a bit more creatively.


I tend to always write goals to cover five areas of my life: mental, physical, Spiritual, Home & Family, and financial. I usually do pretty good with attaining my goals but after about three (maybe four) months I quit focusing on them. This year I want to FIGHT to maintain the focus. 

So, using my word for 2017, FIGHT, I will be thinking a little more realistically  about how I want to achieve these goals. What is worth fighting for?

1) I need to fight to forgive more and worry less. That will mean working on my attitude towards others. I need to fight to become less stressed and enjoy life more.

2) I need to fight the urge to talk negatively to myself about my weight and my lack of exercise. I need to find a positive way to deal with these. It is time to stop treating myself as a negative.

3) I will fight for my spiritual life. I like to read the Bible. I am not ashamed to tell anyone that. I believe in God and in the Son he sent here to die for my sins. I will fight to continue to pray to Him to help me with understanding and forgiveness. He is the ONE that always has my back! 

4) I am going to fight the urge to acquire more things and fight to get rid of the excess I already own. I need to be ready to move into a smaller house when the time is right. I will fight to become and stay organized. And I will fight hard to teach my family (meaning you, Harley) how we are going to achieve this.

5) And last, but not least, I will fight to stay within my budget. I need to get my taxes caught up and get my savings re-built. By winning this fight I will feel less stressed, more hopeful, and better prepared to face the future. 

So how about you, friends and family, what is on your list for 2017? What are you going to fight for?

33 comments:

  1. I feel inspired by this post! Go, Paula, go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like all that you will be fighting for Paula! You can do them all and accomplish them all! I have found just over the past few days when I'm going down the road of negative thought about something or a situation or someone, I literally say "stop" and re-focus on something else. A song in my head or a scripture or I say a prayer for that person or situation I might have had a negative thought against. It's a retraining of the mind and its not easy at times, but it can be done and I know you can do it. I do remember your goals you would set and then how you would report how you accomplished them (or still working on them). It is good to get something down on paper so you can refer back to it, so print this out and hang it somewhere prominent in the house so you can remember what you are fighting for each and every day. You can do this!!!!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All very good ideas Betty! It is easy to get lost in negative thoughts isn't it! I know I can do it! I'm going to do my best!!

      Delete
  3. You go gal!! I will be fighting to just keep my head above water with my projects. My Fitbit helps keep me moving...not that I move that fast or much...but at least I know! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've wondered about the FitBit. I have an app on my iphone called Map My Walk. If I just use it now!! That is another story. LOL

      Delete
  4. Its good to be empowered. I need to work on the budget too, will be fighting along with you :}

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good targets Paula. Focusing on positives is a good move. I try hard to feel good about what I do achieve each day rather than what I didn't get done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should start a type of journal to track what I do each day that I can feel good about!

      Delete
  6. I love the five areas of your life you cover. I always work on the mental, physical, Spiritual, home & family, but think I need to add financial. I've been thinking lately about how much I spend on non essentials each month and it's ridiculous. I'd rather put most of that money in the savings account to be used for a vacation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Financial is important for me since I live on a fixed income!!

      Delete
  7. Great word for this year, Paula. And I think all the things you are fighting for are so positive and life improving. And as for weight and exercise - gosh! There are so many ways to improve life - and yet we consistently (my word for 2017) use those two to beat ourselves up with - maybe this is a 'baby boomer' thing. I don't remember a previous generation being so focused on that. I am glad you will be kinder to yourself. That being said, I am focusing on exercise for myself Ha!! (See - this generation). Now at 69 - staring 70 squarely in the face - strength is lagging noticeably and I am not happy to sit back and let it slip away without a "fight." Happy New Year Paula. Looking forward to another blogging year with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just don't want to say I am going to lose weight or exercise more. When I probably won't I just need to try to stay positive. I am 65 now and I need to get with it. I'm looking forward to another year of knowing you Elaine!

      Delete
  8. I love your goal for 2017 and wish you much success in your fight. Where there is a will there is a way they say so I'm sure you'll win. Life is a struggle at times, it's often our attitude that makes all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is a struggle. We need to focus on our attitude towards it. You do that Ma with your gratitudes. I like that about your blog!

      Delete
  9. I love the way you are going about this in 2017. Keep up the good fight!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a POSITIVE outlook! :) I especially liked your line, "I need to stop treating myself like a negative."

    BTW, my computer crashed and burned last night, so for the next few days I'm going to have to FIGHT to learn to key via an e-reader. Grrrrrr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Myra. I am so sorry about your computer. Mine took a hit this past year. The computer was able to be fixed but I lost my external hard drive that had all my pictures on it. Sad! But I can't cry over spilled milk. Wait, I did cry but I have now moved on!

      Delete
  11. Negative self talk is a big one. I wish you much luck with all your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You positively have the right attitude. Today is January 5th. I have been giving some thought to changes I might be open to. I’m not sure I’m ready to articulate them yet, though. Maybe spend less time in my head and more time doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spending less time is my head is a good one for me too!

      Delete
  13. Great post, Paula! I think we all need to FIGHT to achieve the things that are important to us. Apathy, lack of a clear direction, other people, life, can all get in the way, so it really IS a battle to keep the focus and move forward! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great word for 2017! I'm going to fight to simplify my life, especially in the area of gathering information. I love to learn and am constantly adding more books, podcasts, enewsletters, etc to my life. I don't even have time for them all! Happy New Year and may you win the FIGHT! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to simplify too! I am going to down size the emails and newsletters too!

      Delete
  15. I am going to fight for my VISION! I am going to fight to continue to photograph the world as I see it, whether that is with clear vision or through blinded eyes.

    I think your FIGHT list is great and wish you the best with all of these goals.

    Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fighting for your vision is a necessity!!

      Delete
    2. Definitely! Both physical vision and mental vision...I need both of them to be fully me!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!