Tuesday, January 24, 2017

January's Brilliant Ideas

Who doesn't love January? Let me see a show of hands. January, to me, is a time to start over. I love to open to the first page of a new calendar. I love to open up the first page of my planner and see a whole book of blank pages. And I love to get started purging, de-cluttering, and getting ready for spring cleaning. What better time for all of this as the snow flies or the north winds blow. Not much of that has been going on here in Kansas this week. It seems more like the beginnings of spring. But anyone who lives in Kansas knows: If you don't like the weather in Kansas, wait 5 minutes, it will change! That is probably true for your state too!

Now let's share some brilliant ideas about making our lives easier!

I found this first brilliant idea on my friend Gram's blog. You can go visit her over at Goodnight Gram's Blog. Many of you may already know her. 


Gram's binder clip
Just use your binder clips and keep track of your readers! I have so many places this would come in handy! I need glasses to read but I haven't yet needed glasses for all the time. And it is hard to keep up with where I put my readers. (Mine usually are perched on top of my head). This is brilliant!! Thanks Gram for sharing.



Picture from Pinterest

I'm currently working on organizing and purging my linen closet. I found these very baskets at Dollar Tree and two of them are inside my linen closet now for hand towels and wash cloths. I even labeled them. It will be a reminder that we don't need anymore than what will fit in these two baskets! My granddaughters say I am a "towel hoarder". I think they might be on to something. I will share the after pictures when I am through organizing. (I forgot to take a before picture. Or maybe I was too ashamed)

I've also always kept my toilet paper in the laundry room bathroom. How dumb is that when the other bathrooms are on the other side of the house. So I moved the toilet paper to where we use it the most. And put it in the linen closet.
Picture from Pinterest

I am on the lookout right now for some bins to corral my sheets. But until then I have tried out this idea:
Brilliant! Keeps all the linens for one bed together. Why haven't I thought of this! When I find the perfect bins I would just take my little "pillowcase bundles" and walah put them into the proper bin!
Picture from Pinterest

I also like this idea for keeping extra bathroom and personal supplies. But hopefully I won't try to keep that many at one time. Do you think that is "bordering on hoarding"? I like the idea though.

Maybe for a few products!



What about you? What ideas do you have for the new year? Do you like to begin the year by de-cluttering and starting fresh? Share with me!!

34 comments:

  1. I do need to declutter, but I'm not sure where I want to take the things I need to get rid of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That has been my problem! Now I am finding places and I am getting on it!

      Delete
  2. I love the clip idea a lot! One thing I do at my house to keep my husband from filling my kitchen storage with too many items is to store my extra paper towels in the back of the shelf. It is a little cumbersome to pull them out BUT it keeps it clear of too many cans of soup. GREAT IDEAS here! I love January also for it is a time that I use to clean up things and when the weather is really bad, I binge watch Netflix and don't feel bad about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly my feelings Susan. I like the idea of putting the paper towels in the back.

      Delete
  3. Hey! I have reading glasses in those exact colors! ;-) Your new year/fresh energy start is very infectious. Fun to come here and read helpful ideas. The linen closet baskets are cute! As for my fresh start decluttering...I start the year with shredding paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! It is possible these are your glasses. I gave you credit. Did you see it?? Love shredding papers but I don't do it as much as I used to.

      Delete
    2. Paula: I did see that you gave me credit. Very proper Gram, you are. It just made me giggle to see my glasses.

      Delete
    3. I didn't want you to think I was stealing your idea!! LOL!

      Delete
  4. These are all great tips for organizing! I like the idea about the sheets in the pillow cases, though I only have 2 sets of sheets and 1 bed, rotate them weekly :)

    I'm pretty okay with not having much to declutter, but that's only because I did it a year ago before we moved. What we are working on is buying new glasses, plates, etc. We had hodgepodge before of things, now we are getting set of glasses, dishes, etc. Have the glasses we like, but I need to clear the old ones out, wash the new ones and get them in. Maybe this weekend!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been looking at new plates too!! I used to have glasses I stored just for the big meals with lots of guests. Now we are using them. We probably won't have big dinners anymore!

      Delete
  5. I should try the pillow cases trick!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot add a thing; I'll just come by and borrow ideas. We purged, purged, purged when we downsized, but we did have to buy stuff to organize with here. I got plastic storage drawers for under the sink for washcloths (sorry, can't have too many of those!). We wash sheets and put them back on, so no dups there. I may buy a day bed for the sewing room, with storage drawers. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about not having too many washcloths. And then when they get ratty I use them for cleaning cloths! Harley has a day bed with a trundle. We love it!

      Delete
  7. Moving was a great way to declutter and I haven't had time yet to get recluttered so life is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to get all that done before I move. Hopefully!

      Delete
  8. I enjoy organizing and it is always good to move stuff around to thoroughly clean. I have also been doing just that! I like the idea for the glasses. I have bifocals, but don't wear them while I am doing household chores. I have two pair, since I am constantly looking for them. I don't shred paper, I use it in my gardens under mulch. It kills the grass until it degrades. I hate to waste anything. I compost, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't started wearing bifocals yet but probably will need to someday! I used to use newspapers in the garden too. I think I will plant a garden again this year!!

      Delete
  9. Love the binder-clip idea! Since trying not to use the clothes dryer so often, my poor guest rooms sometimes resemble a Chinese laundry ... I affix towels, sheets, etc. to the drawer pulls with binder clips, turn on the ceiling fan and shut the door!

    My linen closet is TINY, compared to yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Gram is a genius with her binder clip idea, isn't she! None of those pictures are off MY linen closet. They are from Pinterest. I will show you mine when I get all the bins found!!

      Delete
  10. I used to do the sheet thing, and I think I'll use the door rack idea for the hallway closet when I move.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do love the idea of using the binder clips to hold glasses. I'm always forgetting where I keep my sunglasses. I do bundle my bedding putting it all inside a pillow case. It really makes a difference!
    Thanks for sharing your brilliant ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea for sunglasses too!!

      Delete
  12. Lots of good ideas here, Paula and I too am in a de-cluttering mood and have made good progress so far this January with much more to come during Feb & March I have promised myself!! Keep it coming with those clever organising ideas, please.
    Special Teaching at Pempi’s Palace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only just begun! Such a long ways to go. Good to see you Pempi!

      Delete
  13. Agree with the previous commenter; keep the clever organizing ideas coming! I too am working on decluttering, with varying degrees of success. Right now I am working on my book collection, posting some titles for sale on Amazon (but it can take FOREVER to sell them and in the meantime I'm having to store)...

    I understand being too ashamed to post 'before' pictures. Sometimes, though, you just forget and you're halfway through (or finished) a project before thinking, 'darn, I meant to take a picture!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will keep posting the ones that I am going to use or have used! I have a lot of books here too! I'll probably donate most of them!

      Delete
    2. I've been donating some of mine as well; would just be nice to get some cash for the others! :)

      Delete
    3. I agree with that. Some books are so expensive!

      Delete
  14. I bought one of those plastic totes with a handle at Hobby Lobby yesterday, I wish I had bought a couple more. I put my yarn and crochet stuff in it! I like the sheet idea, no hunting for a bottom and top sheet and then the pillowcases that go with it. I am decluttering...old files, old papers it is a paper fight around here! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked at Hobby Lobby yesterday for totes for my linens but ended up buying some at Target. Luckily I don't have much of a problem with paper clutter. I tend to open all mail over the trash can!

      Delete
  15. Hi Paula - the glasses idea is a fun one ... I'm not sure I'd go to the lengths of putting my bedlinen like that! But totes and plastic boxes are hugely helpful ... it's good to tidy .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did it this time! NOw let's see if I keep it up!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!