Monday, December 5, 2016

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas Life List

LOOKING OUT MY WINDOW....

As I look out my windows tonight I see a neighborhood full of Christmas lights. The house across the street has a couple of trees and a manger scene. A house down the block is decorated with blue and red lights (Kansas University Fan) and the house next door has deers and trees throughout his front yard. My Christmas tree stands tall and proud in the front bay window.

AS I PONDER....

Tonight I sit and ponder the illnesses that have been running through the family. Justin and Paige both with flu-like symptoms. So they stayed home this weekend. I hope they are better soon. I couldn't send Harley anywhere (sad face) so I heard her sniffling and coughing all weekend. But happily she has no fever. Just the common cold! Shouldn't stop her from going to school tomorrow. Not that she would beg to stay home anyway. This girl has only missed one day of school in the eight years she has lived with me. That compared to the 33 days of school her brother and she missed in the first 4 months of the school year the year they came here!! And Darian only missed two days in those 8 years. 


WHAT I AM LEARNING...

I am learning that the years I took care of Richard were hard on my friendships. So many of them disappeared. I need to seek them out again. Not hold grudges! Offer to talk about what happened to us! Time will tell. Time heals all! I finally reached a friend this week. One that Richard and I traveled a lot with her and her husband. She lost her husband 10 years ago. And I lost track of her. Finally I was able to track her down. I found her son and grandson on Facebook and I stalked them awhile and finally got her phone number. She had moved away from her to Davenport, Iowa and I didn't even know it. She has been gone for 5 years. We talked well into the night and it was so good to catch up with her. 

WHAT I 'M CREATING...

I brought this little birdie along when I left my childhood home!
Made these paper stars

My mantle at night

On my coffee table

On my desk









WHAT I'M READING....


I will soon finish Behind The Beautiful Forevers. I am also listening to Anne of Green Gables. This book is on our reading list for 2017. I got a good deal on it for the Kindle/Audible so I decided to jump right in. We won't discuss it until October. But I doubt it will take much for me to remember it. So far I am enjoying it very much. 


WHAT I'M WATCHING...


Tonight will be the season finale to Secrets and Lies. I didn't find out until recently that this is season 2. I will need to search out season 1. I have enjoyed the season. I don't really understand all of these shows ending in December and taking a winter break. What the heck??? I guess for all the Christmas shows. YAY, Scandal will be returning soon.


WHAT I'M HEARING...


I am currently listening to 60 Minutes. My thought for the night is: "Has Donald Trump figured out yet he is JUST the President-elect and not THE KING??? No offense to my Trump-loving friends and family. I am just curious as to how much he thinks he can do by himself.

WHAT'S ON MY CAMERA...

Yes, we eat in the living room sometimes

Leftover ham from Thanksgiving






WHAT'S HAPPENING IN THE KITCHEN...


Monday...Leftovers

Tuesday...Breakfast 4 Dinner

Wednesday..Chicken & Stuffing

Thursday...Tortilla Soup

Friday...Crockpot Salisbury Meatballs

Saturday...Loaded Baked Potato Soup

Sunday...Million Dollar Spaghetti


A QUOTE I WANT TO SHARE...




Happenings in my backyard...

This guy escaped Thanksgiving



A peek into my week...

Darian has a job interview at GNC Monday. It is a health food and supplement store. Hopefully he will get more hours. On Wednesday they both have their weekly activities to attend: Church and FAST. No other plans that I am aware of so far. Nothing planned for me except the usual: laundry, cooking, and picking up groceries. And hanging out with you all!


 


A final thought...

As Christmas approaches I want to be mindful that it's not everyone's favorite time of year. It is not my favorite time of year. Never has been. But I want to change that. I want to see Christmas as a joyous time. I want the happiness and joy that I see others have. I am working on it!!


26 comments:

  1. It took me a long time to figure out that the holidays are what I make of them. I have since made choices to do things that bring me joy, not stress. And just because I'm single doesn't mean my traditions are any less important than "family" traditions. Since I made that mindset change, the holidays are filled with festive feelings and not dreaded obligations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will need to remember that Kwiz! When this last one leaves home it will just be me. I probably won't want this full fledged decorating. But maybe a few small things!!

      Delete
  2. I love Christmas, but I admit that for a few years after my Dad died on Christmas Eve, it was hard to get excited about it. Three young kids kept me together. I love Anne of Green Gables and just saw a new movie version with Martin Sheen. I've even visited the Lucy Montgomery home on Prince Edward Island. As for that person that got elected, I think he needs some serious psych evaluation. He acts like a ten-year old bully on the playground. I turned on the TV last night when Paul Ryan was being interviewed. He was asked about illegals voting and could not give a straight answer. I turned the TV off. I can't do anything about the situation and I refuse to watch the circus. Have a good week and don't get sick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enjoying Anne of Green Gables! I couldn't agree with you more about our President-Elect. He won't be president to the masses as long as continues to alienate people with his bullshit!!

      Delete
  3. That is good, Paula, to seek out your friends and reconnect with them if you can! Hope Darian does get that job; its a good time of the year to be looking, at least for temporary help with Christmas just around the corner. Sounds very festive in your neighborhood with the decorations! I noticed a lot of people here have lights up too (including us, we did a strand of lights :) Hoping all feel better soon, again its that time of year that sickness seems to abound!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to hear that you put up some outdoor lights too!!

      Delete
  4. Wishing you happiness and joy this Christmas, Paula. If you seek it, you will find it, just like you found your old friend. I'm glad you were able to catch up with her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The tree looks wonderful as does your mantle. I'm only doing a little decorating here. Just enough to let me know what season it is. Shopping hasn't been done and the time is getting short. Our family gathering is the 17th the weekend before Christmas. I hope you find that Christmas JOY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't much in the way of shopping anymore. Just give the kids Visa gift cards and they can buy what they want. My only want for Christmas is a nice day together with family!

      Delete
  6. Have my outside decorating done for the year, Pam's white yarn wreath and a blue bug light.
    Ham and beans look good along with cornbread, yum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't put my wreaths on the door yet. And my blue lights are there year round. I support the Police!!

      Delete
  7. Hi Paula - so glad you found your friend and hope you'll often be making contact now ... and your decorations look delightful ... hope those bugs keep away and everyone gets completely better soon ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary. I think we will keep in touch now!!

      Delete
  8. Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other gold.

    If only it were that easy. You're doing good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember singing that song as a girl scout. It really isn't that easy is it?

      Delete
  9. Your house looks lovely Paula. Hope everyone gets well quickly. I want to share with you some thoughts from my Advent reading from Sunday, Dec. 4th, about Finding Joy at Christmas: "We often feel Christmas should be a 'sugar plum' day with no touch of sadness." "But consider another approach:Instead of avoiding all the sadness and trying to create a Hallmark Christmas, savor the richness of a Savior born into a broken world, for broken hearts, to bring healing." "The event at Bethlehem wasn't a Disney World experience. It was a time of both bliss and sorrow." "When we remember who Jesus was and why he came, we can let him come into our real life, and then experience what it means to have a Merry Christmas." Hugs to you, Paula, during this sometimes difficult time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy! You have given me much to ponder. I will chew on it for awhile and then I'll be better!!

      Delete
  10. I'm so tickled how you tracked down your former friend. Don't you hate loose ends? Sounds like many more phone visits lay in your future! :)

    That's way impressive about Harley and Darian's attendance records. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the results of D's interview!

    Your pictures always make my visits more enjoyable. Hey, we eat in the (so-called) living room every night. Don't wanna mess up the dining room table. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just couldn't continue without finding her. It took me almost a year to find her and I am so glad. I hope I can go visit her in the future. She's still a working nurse. We eat in the living room most nights. When Justin and Paige are here we eat in the dining room!

      Delete
  11. There are a couple Anne of Green Gables TV shows. There was one that came out in the '80s (which I was totally into as that's about when I read the books). And I heard there's another that just came out? Great series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been hearing about Green Gables for years. I'm glad I am finally getting around to it. I am listening to it! I am almost done. So I must be liking it! LOL

      Delete
  12. You'll get there, Paula. Some things just take time. Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday and Christmas second. We don't have little kids anymore and we weren't ever able to do much for them at Christmas whenever they were little. It has always been a time of guilty, not happy, feelings because we couldn't provide them with a big Christmas...some years, not even a little Christmas. But, they survived and we survived and here we are. The gifts we give each other are not what it is all about anyway. It is about the Gift that He gave to us. That is what matters. Once we can let that stick, it makes this time of year easier and also makes it easier to find the joy in the season.

    Best wishes on the interview for Darian. I hope that everyone feels better very soon.

    Your mantle is very pretty. :)

    Here's the link to my post: Currently...A Life List

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids aren't little either: 16 and 18 (grandkids actually) but I still want for them at Christmas time. I need to move past that as there just isn't enough money to give them anything they want. Hell, I survived Christmas with very little. I know they will too! I think the sickies are now better. Darian had 2 interviews and is just waiting to see the outcome. I'm off to check your post!!

      Delete
  13. I'm not a fan of Christmas but I've learned to get through it by focusing on others. I've made a lot of progress in not feeling depressed and tearful during the month of December. I do not decorate at all. I do enjoy other people's decorations but I did it for so many years and when my only child grew and on went on his own, I no longer felt like decorating, so I don't.

    I really enjoy your updates and especially the meal planning! I'm thinking of incorporating that into my weekly life list. Thanks for the fantastic ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have three teen g-kids to focus on. Two of them live with me. It has always been a hard holiday for me. I love meal planning. It helps with grocery shopping and I spend less money.

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!