Thursday, December 29, 2016

FIGHT-2017 Word for the Year

For the past few weeks I have been thinking about my word for 2017! I have chosen a word thrice in past years: In 2014 my word was HOPE, in 2015 it was Change and in 2016 I chose the word FORWARD. All  of these words were chosen because of Richard. 2014 was the year he was so sick and then died. So I knew 2015 would be a year of Change. And this year I felt the need to move forward. Problem is, I don't really feel I moved forward very much. I am still grieving the loss of my soul mate. And I expect I will have a good ways to go until I find peace with this loss. 

I have toyed with several words on my way to choosing the word that fits me this year. I thought about STRENGTH because I will need strength to keep seeing me through this life God has chosen for me to live. I tossed around the word WALK. But I really need to RUN, not walk. Enough of this walking. POSITIVE is a good word for me because I fight with needing to be more positive, all the time. Yesterday, I added the word BELIEVE to the list. Who doesn't need BELIVE to be their word? 

But there was a single word that kept popping up whenever I was thinking about my word for 2017. I kept thinking about how everyday I fight little battles. We all do. I fight self-doubt quite a bit. I fight negativity. It is so easy to be negative in the face of so much loss. I feel like I am a "small boat on the ocean. Sending big waves into motion." I kept hearing this song, over and over, in my head. I moved to it's beat. It played on the radio today, on my way home from taking Harley to work. When I pulled into the garage, turned off the car engine, and sat there for a moment as the song finished, I knew I had my word for 2017. Sometimes the word has to find you.


Fight

That's it! My word is fight. I will fight for strength this year. Strength to get me through whatever obstacles get thrown in my way. I will be brave and fight the challenges that my life has become. I am a widow, a single mother (grandmother in my case), a retired lady who is living in a hard world on a fixed income. I will fight to survive. Because I am a survivor. I will fight the self-doubt, the negativity, the 'wrecking balls' because I still have a lot of fight left in me.

As the song says, "I'm taking back my life".


27 comments:

  1. There is such power in choosing a word, isn't there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is. I am going to throw away my using goals and just FIGHT!

      Delete
  2. Awesome choice, Paula. To borrow a phrase, go out there and fight like a girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You keep fighting Paula and I will remain in your corner giving encouragement and strength however I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy! I will still need that from you. And I promise to give in return too!!

      Delete
  4. Great word and remember you aren't fighting the battle alone! God is fighting right alongside you and the battle belongs to him. I will be sharing my word next week when I start posting again. It too starts with an "f".

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that reminder Betty. I need to remember that God is my referee! My fight partner. I can't wait to hear your word!

      Delete
  5. You are definitely a fighter Paula so I'm sure this is a good choice for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to be a better fighter!! Thanks Wendy

      Delete
  6. Last year I chose MOVE. I wanted to move mote. Be more active. I certainly did not achieve that. But I did MOVE - me, my husband and all our earthly possessions. So I guess my word for last year was valid anyway. Ha. Need to think on this for 2017. You picked a good word for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You used your words last year in a way that you needed to use it!

      Delete
  7. That is a great word and I like your reasoning in making your choice. It's not easy but worth the fight for sure. My word is beginnings. A whole lot of new ones for me this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your word. Beginnings is what I strive for every New Year!

      Delete
  8. My word this year is minimalize! We are starting to downsize and to prepare for that I need to get rid of a lot of stuff! I guess that may be a fight, though, because I am a bit of a hoarder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did this word one year. Do you follow The Minimalists?

      Delete
    2. I need this word too Jeanette!! Good luck with downsizing!

      Delete
  9. I love choosing just one word and rolling with it. Yours is a great word and the fact that it kept bubbling up is the exact reason it will work for you. Fight hunger pangs, fight the urge to crawl under the blankets, fight for free time, fight, fight, fight!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are exactly the reasons I chose this word!! Thanks Susan

      Delete
  10. I like this idea of choosing a word for the year. I'll have to think of a good one for me. I like your word choice Paula. It's all about the fight within us. After all, it's fight or flight. Fight sounds strong and committed. You are starting the new year off with a powerful mindset. Good for you! Excellent choice.

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find your word. Sometimes the words just find us. That is how I came up with fight! Happy New Year Michele!

      Delete
  11. Hi Paula - Happy New Year ... have a very happy time ... lots going on - positivity will be needed too - but strive and fight on - good for you ... you're amazing - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year Hilary! I hope you find the best!!

      Delete
  12. Interesting choice. I hope it gives you the strength you need.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If anyone can do it, you can, Paula. I have absolutely NO doubt about that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzanne! I will be fighting for you too, my friend!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!