Friday, December 2, 2016

Everything We Keep-A Book Review

This is the book that helped me complete my reading challenge for 2016!! I challenged myself to read 35 books this year. And I did it!!! Well some of them I listened to but we still count that as reading. It just means that I read while I washed dishes and cooked. Or waited in the car for kids to arrive. A great way to read. And this book was one of those books I listened to, for the most part. I also read the last few chapters!

This review is going to have spoilers. So, if you don't like spoilers then you might want to stop reading pretty soon. I'll tell you when. The reason for the spoilers is just too 'freaky' for me not to tell you about it.
Now about the book.

Everything We Keep is the story of Aimee and James. They have always loved each other. From way back when they were just kids. Before either of them even knew what love was. Aimee has her whole life figured out. She will marry James, take over her parent's restaurant, have kids, James will paint and they will live happily ever after.

Except none of that happens. First of all, Aimee is burying James on the day they were to be wed. He had died while on a trip in a foreign country. But Aimee has trouble believing he is dead. Especially when she is approached by a psychic at the funeral who tells her James is alive. No one believes this psychic however. But it sure puts a sliver of doubt into Aimee's mind.

Then she finds out that her parents have sold their beloved restaurant and she will not get to own it. She had always planned on taking it over. And now it is gone. With several twists and turns she opens a small coffee shop she calls Aimee's! She also meets a photographer who falls in love with her. But she has to find out if James is really alive before allowing herself to fall for Ian. 

Now is when you might want to quit reading if you plan to read this book for yourself.

Last night (Thursday) I had reached the part of the book where Aimee locates a man in Mexico who she is positive is James. But his name is Carlos and he is speaks fluent Spanish. He owns an art gallery and has the same initials as her beloved James. He paints, just like James, and signs his paintings in the exact color of paint that James uses. She sneaks into his gallery and discovers paintings of James's that were stolen from her garage. She also discovers paintings of herself. Not exactly like James would paint them. But close.

At this point I take a break from reading and switch the TV to OWN (you know, Oprah's channel). There is a re-run episode of 20/20 Extreme Affliction. The episode is about a young couple who are in love and get married. His best friend is in a horrible accident following the wedding. Triggers much stress in the bridegroom. As you can imagine. When they are leaving for their honeymoon, while at the airport, he has forgotten his wallet and leaves her with the baggage while he goes to fetch it. And he disappears. They look and look and he is finally found three days later at an abandoned motel. He is dehydrated, bug bitten, and very confused. He does not know who he is. He doesn't know who his new bride is. He doesn't know his own mother.  He doesn't even know what a wife or a mother was. He knows nothing!! He was diagnosed with dissociative amnesia. His new wife stays with him and tries to help him find out who he is and re-discover everything he once knew. At the end of this episode,  I pondered this type of amnesia as being a very weird and unheard of condition, I picked back up the book Everything We Keep. James/Carlos has dissociative amnesia!!!! What the heck. Believe you me I had goose bumps on top of goose bumps. The new bridegroom eventually gets his memory back. You can read more about this story here

I won't spoil the very end of the book for you. I am thrilled to know there will be a sequel in the summer of 2017. I loved this book. Maybe because I listened to it. I loved the characters in the book. I am giving it ****. I won't forget the story. But, probably because of the 20/20 episode it will be more memorable.  

16 comments:

  1. What other books did you read this year? Did you review them all on this blog? Do you keep a list? I just finished my 8th book. Work sure does interrupt my reading time!!! I keep a separate page on my blog for review my books. Hope you'll check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of my book reviews on listed on here with the tag Books 2016 (for this year) I also track them on Goodreads. Do you use Goodreads? That is a good idea to have a separate page on your blog. I will head over there and check out your reviews Susan!

      Delete
  2. Well that was spooky! Well done on meeting your challenge. I've done better than I hoped this year partly because I signed up for two online book clubs and I reactivated my library membership.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the online book club I joined forced me out of my comfort zone with what kinds of books I read. What book clubs do you belong to Wendy!

      Delete
  3. That was really weird about watching that show on dissociate amnesia and then discovering James/Carlos had it too in the book. Spooky indeed! Sounds like a great book; even with the spoilers I'll probably forget them if I get around to reading the book :)

    That is great that you made it to your challenge of 35 books! I know I've read a lot this year, not sure how many, but it is good we keep on reading!

    What is your goal for 2017?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was spooky, wasn't it?? I think I will make my goal for 2017 40 books. I can't push too hard because I am basically a pretty slow reader! Especially if I find the book hard to get through! (Like the one I'm reading now)

      Delete
  4. I was curious to hear your thoughts about this book! Had I heard of dissociative amnesia before, I might have been kinder in my review ... instead of, what did I call it? ... "implausible."

    Congrats on meeting your 2016 goal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean Myra. If I had not just watched that real live couple on 20/20 I would not have been happy with the way this book was going. But I guess it is true. This can really happen to someone. Isn't that freaky? I really enjoyed the book. Wish I could say the same for Beautiful Forevers. I hope I finish this book tonight. I am over it!!

      Delete
  5. I loved this book! It definitely deserves a sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked reading your thoughts and views of this book. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny how the 20/20 episode just happened to be on the subject of the book. The world is weird sometimes, bringing such things to us just when we need them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny in a creepy way, isn't it! The 20/20 episode was a re-run!

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on completing your reading challenge. I think this book sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy! You should listen to it!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!