Friday, December 2, 2016

Craving Christmas

Friday finds us every single week, doesn't it? I remember when I was a "full-time working nurse", a "full-time mother" of two boys and a "wife" to Richard when Friday would mean one of two things to me. It would either be the start of my weekend off or it would be the start of my weekend to work. Just depended on where it fell in the 'every other weekend' calendar slot. Now, Friday means writing, along with a lot of others, in the Five-Minute Friday Challenge at Heading Home. Kate provides the prompt. We write and link with others. And please be sure to visit as many of the blogs as possible. Feel the love! Spread the love! 

This week the prompt is Crave. Write for Five Minutes and publish.

Go


Do you know what I used to crave at this time of the year? I craved the Christmas shown on the front of the Saturday Evening Post Magazine. Norman Rockwell's Christmas.  You know the one which  shows the
family gathered around the table and granny serving the turkey. I've written about this craving before on my blog. You can find that post here if you want to check it out.

After a number of years living in a normal (dysfunctional?) family I had to give up on finding that 'perfect' Christmas. Because it doesn't exist. And I don't crave it any longer.(Well, maybe I do a tiny, little bit) I gave up on that dream. And I am working on becoming happy with the dream that is my reality. Because what I really crave is my family around me. I crave the love they can give  me, that is unconditional. And I want them to accept the love I have for them. I want happiness in whatever form that happens to take. I crave beautiful Christmas decorations on the tree. That means the ones that have hung on our tree for the last 40 years or so. The ones that were made by the kids. The ones that were given to me by friends and have become cherished mementos. I crave the beautiful, nasal voice of a granddaughter who sings along with the radio and doesn't care what anyone thinks of her voice. I crave the taste of the sugar cookie with the icing smeared by a little finger as it is lovingly offered. 

Because there is no such thing as perfect. I have given up on that dream. I have learned that you don't need to own a piano to sing Christmas Carols. And you don't have to know how to make wassail for the sparkling grape juice to taste like the best wine from France. And the star on a fake tree still shines as brightly as any star I have ever seen. This is what I crave!

Stop


18 comments:

  1. Love your post! Yes, we can strive for the unattainable perfection, but what is truly perfect is enjoying the little moments of joy that come with the imperfections. Thank you for that reminder! (Your 5MinFriday friend at theretherekitten.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is perfect? It's more about what is perfect for you, I'd think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect is perfect! In my mind that is happy, well-fed, no fighting, enough money, etc. All asking too much of any family probably

      Delete
  3. It is good that you came to the point, Paula, of not craving that "ideal family" because as you know, there is no such thing as a perfect family. We all seem to be a bit dysfunctional don't we? I think you do get the craving of the Christmas you want with what you described here between tree decorations, granddaughter's singing, etc :) We should all crave such :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right Betty. Just need to change the cravings!

      Delete
  4. It's a good lesson to learn that not everything is perfect. Nice post Paula.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the Norman Rockwell version too but growing up there was all the drama and invited "extra" people that invaded family time. Christmas is not my favorite holiday, I have to kick myself in the butt to do it and we all know how stressfull that is. The past two days i have done nothing but cry about it...and it does no good I just made two other people cry. This too will pass and Dec 26 is freedom day for me:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My growing up Christmas's usually involved alcohol and drunks and shortly after the last Christmas when I peeked around my mother's dress to get the last glimpse ever of my father (he committed suicide January 8). So I know exactly what you me about Christmas not being the happiest time of the year. I always have loved Thanksgiving best! I tolerate Christmas.

      Delete
  6. I think you've taught me an important lesson tonight.
    Ridiculous, the scenarios I've judged my life against ... always coming up short.
    "Little things mean a lot."
    Ya, I've seen that a million times ... but until your mention of a smeared sugar cookie it never really hit home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just have to keep trying to change that image in our minds and make what we have be what we want. Does that even make sense??? Thanks Myra for being my friend!!

      Delete
  7. Amen! You've captured it perfectly. There is no 'perfect' holiday. We should crave better relationships and stronger connections--no one will remember our decorations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No there isn't a perfect holiday! We should crave better relationships but sometimes it's the decorating we can't let go of. Thanks for visiting Anita!

      Delete
  8. Time has brought me some of this same wisdom in being able to let go of what I thought would make life "perfect" and being able to enjoy what *is* during the holidays.
    Peace for enjoying your priorities.
    Patricia (FMF#37)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's taken me time as well. Lots of time. And lots of disappointments. Peace!!

      Delete
  9. My perfect Christmas is the same as yours Paula....spending time with my imperfect family and thanking God that we have each other because who else would want us LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish us both a perfect Christmas, Wendy!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!