Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Behind the beautiful Forevers-A book Review


From Amazon:


In this brilliant, breathtaking book by Pulitzer Prize winner Katherine Boo, a bewildering age of global change and inequality is made human through the dramatic story of families striving toward a better life in Annawadi, a makeshift settlement in the shadow of luxury hotels near the Mumbai airport. As India starts to prosper, the residents of Annawadi are electric with hope. Abdul, an enterprising teenager, sees “a fortune beyond counting” in the recyclable garbage that richer people throw away. Meanwhile Asha, a woman of formidable ambition, has identified a shadier route to the middle class. With a little luck, her beautiful daughter, Annawadi’s “most-everything girl,” might become its first female college graduate. And even the poorest children, like the young thief Kalu, feel themselves inching closer to their dreams. But then Abdul is falsely accused in a shocking tragedy; terror and global recession rock the city; and suppressed tensions over religion, caste, sex, power, and economic envy turn brutal. With intelligence, humor, and deep insight into what connects people to one another in an era of tumultuous change, Behind the Beautiful Forevers, based on years of uncompromising reporting, carries the reader headlong into one of the twenty-first century’s hidden worlds—and into the hearts of families impossible to forget.


I cannot tell you why I didn't like this book. I just found it hard to read. Hard to stay engaged with. I didn't think the characters were developed very well at all. It is my understanding that the author immersed  herself into the Indian culture and observed so this book could be written.

I just didn't find it to be a fascinating read. The situation is very sad. So many poor people living and dying right next to so much luxury is appalling. The justice system of this country is appalling. The way they beat the women and girls is disgusting. I think if the book had been written from her viewpoint it would have been a better book. I just didn't like it.

I will give it one *. If you read it I would love to hear your thoughts.  


12 comments:

  1. Sounds like this book would flunk my 50-page rule. There are too many really good books still to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept moving on trying to like it! But I just couldn't!

      Delete
  2. I read a fiction book called the Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda. It was based in India as well as the United States and included some of the harsh conditions of living in India. I did some studying of the slums in India and was referred to read Behind the Beautiful Forevers to get more of a background information on the deplorable conditions there. I had read mixed reviews of the book, so I hesitated to purchase it. Thus, I'm glad you read it and did the review. I'll probably not read this unless I can pick it up "dirt cheap". It is sad though with the living conditions there even to this date.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is sad as well. But I am afraid we have people living much the same way right here in The Greatest Country in the world.I know when I was growing up it was hard to believe how poor some were while others were so rich. I want to read the book you mentioned. Maybe you will like this one better than I did. I just couldn't feel it!

      Delete
  3. Too bad. Some books just aren't meant for you. I hope it finds the readers that it's meant for. That's why there are so many books--there are so many different readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true! This one just wasn't my style, I guess!

      Delete
  4. I was afraid of that, Paula. Not a subject I'd be much interested in. Like I've said before, your candor is refreshing.

    So many books, so little time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. After your review I'm probably not going to waste a whole lot more time with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this book in February of 2015 and went back to see my review and refresh my memory. It was a very disturbing book but I thought it was well written. You can see my review at http://adayinthelifeonthefarm.blogspot.com/2015/02/so-disturbing-and-so-trueand-it-is-not.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember your review. I did go look at it after I finished reading it. Maybe that is how I feel too! Just wasn't a favorite book of mine!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!