Wednesday, December 7, 2016

A Christmas Decorating Hodgepodge

There can only be one reason to love Wednesdays, right? And that is because we get to join with Joyce at From This Side of the Pond for the Wednesday Hodgepodge. She supplies the promtps! We supply the answers. And then we go visiting!! Head on over and join the fun.






1. Let's talk holiday decorating. On a scale of 1-10 where do you fall? (1=Scrooge and 10= Clark Griswold). What's your favorite corner-room-table-space to decorate? Is it done?

I would say I am a 5. I don't go all out and decorate every room in the house anymore. Just the main living spaces. I like keeping my table set with the Christmas dishes. This way they get used more than just for Christmas dinner. I also like to decorate the mantle. And of course the Christmas tree. In the living room there are only a few Christmas things. 

 
The dining room table


2. Is there a nativity scene in your decorating somewhere? Post a picture or, if it's special to you in some way, tell us why. Or do both-it's Christmas!




My nativity

I have had this nativity set for maybe 30 years. Last year I dropped Joseph and broke off his head (yikes) but saved it with a drop of hot glue. I use the same little bits of hay on the stable floor that I have used for years. I keep it in a baggie when not in use. I love my little set!



3.  Do you live in a social neighborhood? If so are you glad? If not do you wish you did?

No, my neighborhood isn't very social. Just the way I like it. We acknowledge either other when we are outside. Occasionally the neighbor from the north will bring me something (her way of needing to talk) but for the most part we all stay to ourselves. I have lived here for more than 30 years. I know the names of all those who lived on either side and across the street. That's it!

4.  As the saying goes, 'there's no time like the present'. How does that ring true in your life right now?

It is hard to live in the present, isn't it? But I really do believe in the saying, 'there is no time like the present.' If I can figure out how to do that, I will come back and tell all of you so we can do it together. 



5. Do you dread Mondays? Why or why not?

No, I love Mondays. Since I retired in 2011 I look forward to Monday. On Monday the kids went back to school. And it was just me and Richard. After his passing it was just me. Our weekends usually involve having Justin and Paige and all the activity of that. So Mondays is my day to recover. (Right now Darian is here so he puts a wrench into my day, LOL)

6.  Poinsettia, Christmas Cactus, Amaryllis-which on the list is your favorite holiday plant? Are any of these on display in your home right now?

Richard always brought me a poinsettia at Christmas. I don't get one for myself. I have forced some Amaryllis in the past. And I had a Christmas Cactus for a short period of time. It didn't stay alive. I have a lot of houseplants. But I don't do the Christmas ones anymore.

7. Share a favorite quote from a Christmas movie.

I am not a big movie person. I'm getting better! I have watched more movies in the past three years than I have watched in my entire life. My favorite quote would be from A Christmas Story: I said this to my boys a time or two when they were growing up!




8.  Insert your own random thought here.

I think I'll make a list of Christmas movies we should watch. We have weekends and Christmas vacation coming up. I have never seen It's A Wonderful Life. So that will be 1st on my list. What are some you would recommend we watch??

33 comments:

  1. Hi Paula,
    I live in a neighborhood like yours, I have lived here for 16 years. I do not know some of the names of our neighbors.

    I like White Christmas with Bing Crosby.
    Another favorite is The Nativity.

    Happy December,
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carla! I'll add them to my list!

      Delete
  2. A Christmas Story has to be my favorite. I also like Miracle on 34th Street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen Miracle either! Going on my list

      Delete
  3. I love seeing the nativity like mine! Mine is about the same age as yours : ) We love Elf, A Christmas Story, and White Christmas a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your recommendations. I love our nativity too!

      Delete
  4. I love that smiley Santa plate on your dining room table!

    Would you believe, I've never watched a traditional Christmas movie. Last year, a co-worker gifted me with the DVD, "It's a Wonderful Life" but I forgot to unwrap it. Yikes. Must put on the 'to-do' list before she remembers and asks any questions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched them either. I must remedy that myself this year! That little Santa plate is a favorite of mine. Was given to me by a sweet little girl!!

      Delete
  5. You've never seen It's a Wonderful Life?! You will adore it!!

    I like Miracle on 34th Street and Dickens' A Christmas Carol (Alastair Sims version).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many movies I have never seen. I want to watch a few this year. Just to become normal. LOL

      Delete
  6. In decorating, I'm totally a Scrooge. And I'm okay with that.

    But I do love Christmas movies. Unfortunately, my favorite Christmas movie is unavailable. Maybe it's on Netflix? I hope so. It should be remembered (but the title has been usurped by a new movie this year. Boo!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been big on decorating, but always did it for the kids. When my girls went to college the little boy across the street showed up. He knew where everything was stored and where it went, and did the house until I moved from Mentor.
    As for plants, the only one I brought with me is the birthday orchid. I bought a cyclamen recently; I like them for Christmas.
    If you haven't seen it, try It Happened on 5th Avenue. It's a classic and a Christmas movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen it Joanne. I will add it to my list!

      Delete
  8. I definitely need more Christmas spirit! lol Over the years we've not had a lot of time for watching Christmas films - we're usually busy with visiting family or having people here so the TV is hardly watched over Christmas. My Mondays are now Wednesdays as hubby is home Monday and Tuesdays. I like Wednesdays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why you like Wednesdays'. It is so hard to get used to having them home all the time. Wait until he retires!!

      Delete
  9. Hello Paula Kaye, nice to meet you from Hodgepodge. We both chose the shoot your eye out quote. Too funny. Miracle on 34th St. is good...the original. White Christmas with Bing Crosby we've enjoyed, too. A very Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you too Ellen B! I will add White Christmas to the list

      Delete
  10. Your table is very pretty! I like A Christmas Story and I think one channel ran it non stop last year on Christmas Day. We like the Hallmark Channel too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Yes, that is when I saw A Christmas Story. Last year when it ran non-stop!!

      Delete
  11. My gosh, I have that same nativity set! This year when I put it out (haven't for a few years) the structure needed some repairing, so I just put the pieces out on the mantel until hubby can do the fixing. My mom got us that nativity set probably about 25-26 years ago!

    I saw "Its a Wonderful Life" start to finish a few years ago. When the kids were younger, we had a lot of Christmas movies so the month of December we made it a point to watch one a night. I am partial to Elf myself to watch :)

    We decorated a tree and put a strand of lights outside. I put up a few other decorations like the nativity set and a couple more things and told hubby "I'm done decorating" which he said "okay by me" :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so cool that we have the same nativity set. I love mine. It has taken a bit of beating these last few years. But until I find one that I like as well I will just keep putting it out. I will add Elf to my list. I have heard of it. LOL! I am so happy that you did a bit of decorating. Hopefully you will share the pictures with us!!

      Delete
  12. Hi Paula - the decorations look wonderful and they certainly bring the home together for its Christmas season .. oh how interesting you and Betty have the same Nativity set .. so beautiful. Glad Joseph survived ... Happy times ahead - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hilary! It is great that Betty and I are so far apart and yet we own the exact nativity!! I love it!

      Delete
  13. Oh! I'm going to write a post on just a couple of these.
    If you enjoy the Muppets at all, watch A Muppet Christmas Carol. It's my favorite. Follows the original story, but with humor, music, and MUPPETS!

    Like you, I'm not very social. In Indy, we knew our immediate neighbors by sight, not by name, and couple other people in the development to pass the time of day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is hard to live in the present sometimes but it is the best way to live. We don't want to let things in the past or worries about tomorrow spoil the joy of TODAY. Taking it one day at a time here. Christmas is coming way to fast and I'm struggling this year but thanks to my family I'm sure there will be plenty of Christmas cheer in the days to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to live in the present. I love the memories but sometimes it can drag me down. So I have to force myself back to the present. Yes, you are very fortunate to have such a large, loving family!

      Delete
  15. In reading the different Hodgepodge posts, it seems that Joseph gets damaged and/or lost a lot. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I hope that you enjoy "It's a Wonderful Life"!

    I love your table setting and your Nativity. I think it is cool that you've used the same bits of hay for so many years. Do your Christmas tree plates have the little blue pickup truck (or maybe it was a car) on them? The Christmas set that David's mother has does. I especially like your snowman bowl. :)

    It is hit or miss with me and plants. My antique roses did great for quite some time and then succumbed to the drought. Tomatoes? Forget it. I've tried two years in a row to grow them, and twice this year. No homegrown tomatoes for this house. All we got were tall plants and no fruit.

    Have fun watching the Christmas movies and have a blessed December!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No my Christmas plates have Christmas trees on them. But those with a little truck would be so cool. I have really good luck, for the most part, with plants. I haven't gardened since Richard died. That was his thing! I should try again this summer to see if I have good luck on my own. Thank you so much for your blessings. And I wish you the very same!!

      Delete
  17. It's a Wonderful Life is my all time favorite Christmas movie. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to make it a point to see this one!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!