Monday, November 7, 2016

Ordinary People-A Book Review

This is the story that inspired Robert Redford's Oscar-winning film, Ordinary People. The stars of the show were Donald Sutherland and Mary Tyler Moore. I feel the need to find a copy of the movie and watch it.

The story is about the Jarret family. They seem very typical. Ordinary! As long as you only look on the surface. (Isn't that true of many families?) They had experienced the loss of a teenage son to a boating accident. The son who remained tries to commit suicide by cutting his wrists. They then send him to a mental hospital for recovery. He spends 8 months there.

I found myself liking the father of the story a lot. The mother, not so much. She seemed so cold and unloving. That is why I would like to see the movie just to compare my feelings with how the mother is portrayed. In the end the family is okay. For the most part! Because after all is said and done, life goes on.

I will give the book *** stars. I liked it. I listened to it as an audible book. Maybe reading it would have made me like it more. Who knows!

17 comments:

  1. One of my favorite movies. I used to teach this novel when I taught English.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen the movie or read the book but I might just have to add it to my wish list now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice read! I would like to see the movie now!

      Delete
  3. I remember when it came out as a movle, but I never l read the book or saw the movie. Might have to read the book. Good revlew.

    Betty








    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the movie. It's pretty powerful. If I remember correctly, I believe Mary Taylor Moore played the part as you describe. Perhaps the point of the book is "what is an ordinary or normal family?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Mary Tyler Moore. I can see her playing a cold, unloving mother!

      Delete
  5. Oh i remember that movie!!! I really need to try an audible book .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the audible books in the car, while I'm cleaning, or just sometimes when I am relaxing and don't want to read. Problem with that is I often fall asleep during the book. Then I have to find my place again! LOL

      Delete
  6. Yeah, the movie was a departure for Mary Tyler Moore, but she did a really good job. And Donald Sutherland really captured the father's dilemma. Judd Hirsh played the psychiatrist. I've never read the book, but the movie is pretty good. Kind of hard to watch, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I must watch it. The book wasn't at all hard to read.

      Delete
  7. If I recall it may have won an Oscar for Best Picture. I remember being bored with the movie but that was when my kids were very little and I never could concentrate on anything! Maybe I should give it another try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it did win an Oscar. I understand the not being able to concentrate. I am still like that at times!

      Delete
  8. I remember when this was in the theaters .... and I felt odd for coming away, 'meh!'
    All these years later, I really should give the book a try. That's to say, I've changed so drastically in the ensuing years, I might find it riveting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that you should try reading it again. You will still think 'meh' I would imagine. It was just a good book for me. Not great!

      Delete
  9. I saw the movie many moons ago and can't remember too much about it. Must not have been very memorable.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!