Monday, November 7, 2016

Life List And Life's Disasters!

LOOKING OUT MY WINDOW....

Here, at my house, it is Sunday morning. Did you remember to "Fall Back"? I reminded you, so don't blame me!! The sun is shining! It is 60* No wind. Beautiful. I wish this weather would last until April!! HaHa! It won't! (What a difference a day makes....it is now Monday morning. There is no sun! It is drizzling. Temp 54* And I turned the furnace on)

AS I PONDER....

On Friday, Justin let me know that Paige and he would be coming over for the weekend, I went outside to our freezer in the garage to fetch the package of chicken breasts for Saturday night dinner. For a couple of days we had been smelling a strange kind of 'moldy' smell which I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. OMG! I opened the freezer and it wasn't a 'moldy' smell coming out of it. It was a intensely dead and rotten smell. My freezer was no long frozen. It had been a week since we had put anything in it so I don't know when it quit working. I did know that it wasn't working now!! Thank goodness it didn't have much in it. What a disaster. The freezer is old! Almost 20 years. And even if it could be fixed I wouldn't want to keep it! I read on the Internet about how hard it is to get that smell out of things. Thank goodness Justin has a really good friend (only a really good friend would have helped with this) with a pickup truck. The freezer was quickly hauled away. A good scrub with bleach water and wo-lah! all is better. 


WHAT I AM LEARNING...

Believe it or not, I am learning to just let go. Bad things will happen. I can't control that! No sense getting all worked up. Just breathe. Right Wendy??













WHAT I'M READING....


I haven't made much progress in this category this week! Still listening to Ordinary People by Judith Guest. (I just learned this is the book Robert Redford directed into a movie which won an Academy Award) and I am still reading Behind The Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo.  


WHAT I'M WATCHING...


Do any of you watch Code Black? We have fallen in love with this show. Probably because there is a retired nurse and a future nurse living in this house. I cannot imagine working in an ER that ever got that busy. Or in an ER anywhere for that matter. I used to think the ER was where I wanted to work but the pace is too fast and you have to act before you think. I am heavy into thinking things through for the most part. But speaking of nursing, stay turned for another segment of Nursing Rounds coming soon!!

WHAT I'M HEARING...


At this very moment I am hearing my phone pinging...I have a smart-a** son who is sending me a continuous stream of Hilary memes!! And a grandson who is howling with laughter. They are both getting on my last nerve.

WHAT'S ON MY CAMERA...



Darian showing off his weighted vest he works out in

Looking out my front window

Some of the hundreds of lady bugs on my house

These two really love each other

Outside my front door
My little cement deer on the porch




WHAT I'M DRINKING....


Coffee, coffee....bring me another cup!



WHAT'S HAPPENING IN THE KITCHEN...


Monday...Crockpot Lasagna

Tuesday...Mexican Pizzas

Wednesday...Winter Fruit Salad & Sandwiches

Thursday...Beef Stew

Friday...Tomato Soup & Grilled Cheese

Saturday...Pizza

Sunday...Spaghetti & Garlic bread


A QUOTE I WANT TO SHARE...










LOOKING FORWARD....







Happenings in my yard...





A peek into my week...

I don't yet know Darian's work schedule. I hate that. It is supposed to be ready by Friday but this manager never has it ready on time. I guess he's not as organized as me!! HaHa! Harley has school and a couple of FCCLA activities, both on Friday. Possibly the final home football game. Tuesday is Election Day! Don't forget to vote.  


 


A final thought...

No matter who you vote for tomorrow, this is OUR country. We have to come together as One nation. I wonder if we will be able to do this!!

28 comments:

  1. What is constructing all those mini bunkers in your yard? Moles?
    I'm just waiting for this week to end, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Either gophers or prairie dogs. We've seen both! I wish I could get rid of them!! Grrrrrrr!

      Delete
  2. I have faith that We The People will survive whatever happens tomorrow. We all just need to breathe.....right, Paula. So sorry about your freezer but happy that you didn't lose too much. I would lose hundreds of dollars worth of meat should mine quit. That's what happens when you buy you meat in bulk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just breathe! Right!? We used to buy meat in bulk too. But haven't been able to afford to do that since I had to quit working. Thank God! I was protected from a huge loss!

      Delete
  3. Loved the welcome friends sign. And your thoughts on letting go and moving on, though I still think it's a process that the heart has its own schedule for.
    Yummy meals plan! Have a sweet week, Paula.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you Zippi! You are right about it being a process that we have no control over. None!!

      Delete
  4. I've lost 2 freezer full of meat, one of mine and one was a friends stored in the garage. Never again will I keep that much red meat. My refrigerator scares my here, old and makes noise. Lost my dryer Saturday, heating element I think. Should have brought my new set with me I guess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will your insurance replace it? I won't keep mine full of red meat either. Can't afford that!! Hopefully I will pay you someday for the one you left here!

      Delete
  5. Oh no, not the freezer! Sorry about that. Glad it wasn't worse. What Zippi said about the heart's schedule was perfect! Future nurse? We need good health care professionals. My goodness! You've talked about your yard, but wow, you've got a lot going on underground out there. Happy Monday! Coffee is a very good thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Harley used to want to be a teacher but she has changed to wanting to be a nurse. She will be very good as she is very caring about kids and the elderly. She desires to work with the elderly We need good nurses in our nursing homes. We have a lot going on underground for sure!

      Delete
  6. I hope we can come together as a country! So true, regardless of who we are voting for, we need to get out and VOTE! I liked the pictures you shared. It is neat that Harley and Paige are so close to each other! Ick on the freezer, but wise to get rid of it. Hubby's parents had one which we used when we lived there, then it moved along with us to Prescott. I kept trying to get my husband to sell it before we moved, and a lot of people at various garage sales had an interest in it, but hubby didn't want to. Maybe it wasn't moved properly or stored properly, but it is a nightmare of a mess with mold, etc. Hubby intended to clean it out but now said the other day "we should probably get rid of this" which made me hold my tongue though you can imagine the thoughts in my head. "We should get rid of this" means I'll have to be finding out who can haul it away.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darian and I will stand in line tomorrow. And I will wish I had voted early or asked for an absentee ballot. But it will be a good experience for him. Yes, I congratulate you on being able to bite your tongue. I doubt that I would have!!

      Delete
  7. Looks like you have a pocket gofer that moved in, you need to set traps, or find someone who has traps to do it for you. We had some that invaded the Wildgardens and the kids next door had traps so $10 ($5 each) and I was rid of them!
    Oh no on the freezer, I am always afraid mine will kick the bucket when it is full, like it is now!
    It must really going to be a bad winter, each week the freezer gets a few things and the pantry is overstocked. We are set for the winter!
    Sill enjoying warm days here...winter will eventually come, but I am enjoying every warm day:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My neighbor is fighting it right now. I may have to call someone. This is the worst we have every had.

      Delete
  8. Every time there is a bad smell around my home it is usually a dead animal. Seems like you got a good amount of use out of your freezer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it served me well over the years! I won't even miss it since we don't purchase bulk meat any longer

      Delete
  9. Only yesterday I was wondering when you'd publish another episode of Nursing Rounds!

    I never heard of lady bugs being a problem until my son and his family moved into their 'new' house last year and were infested. Privately, I thought the girls were being drama queens ... but when we visited and I heard tales of thousands climbing the steps and pillars I was properly 'freaked' out!

    Girl, I had to do a double (triple!) take on Darian's picture. That vest! (My mind was all kinds of turned around. LOL!) Love Harley and Paige's image ... that's a keeper for generations to come, don't-cha think?

    I really, really wish I hadn't grown so possessed with this election business. Seriously, I don't know how I'm going to get through the next 24-36 hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I will publish it this week!! Those little lady bug suckers can really bite. Tell me what your mind was thinking about the vest. LOL Yes, Harley and Paige are very close. Like sisters. Only 3 months apart in age. I will be glad when the election ends. I hope and pray for the best for this country!

      Delete
  10. Sorry about your freezer. I can just imagine the smell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was horrible. But surprisingly we got rid of it with a good scrub of bleach water!!

      Delete
  11. Hi Paula - freezers going wrong are the pits - I'm glad you were able to dispose of it easily. Good luck with peace in our times, at home and abroad now ... wonderful kids around you .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry to hear about your freezer but glad the loss wasn't too bad. Love the quote. Really weird to hear about the ladybugs. We call them ladybirds and we have had loads here this last week. When we finished decorating our spare room and I cleaned the window they were everywhere. Very strange. Have a good week Paula.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had some wonderful angels in my life, so the quote is meaningful! This has been an unusual year for us with the lady bugs.

      Delete
  13. So true we do never stop learning as life is continually teaching us. I continue to be amazed at all I still have to learn even at my age. I had my freezer go out last year but managed to save everything before it spoiled. I cooked everything up and refroze it. Glad you didn't have much in yours. I'll be going out to vote later on this morning and try to remember who ever wins, God is still in control. Hope you have a good week ahead !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, we never stop learning. Even if we want to sometime! When we lost our power for a week a few years back I cooked everything as it became thawed and we ate it. No matter what it was. Had hot dogs and crab cakes one night!!

      Delete
  14. I know that smell. We used to have a spare fridge in the garage that was half freezer and half fridge. We went on a vacation and the second we opened the garage door, it smelled awful. Apparently there was a bad storm and lost electricity at one point. The breaker tripped in the garage and never came back on. I gagged it was so bad. My ex was a big hunter and there was ducks and tons of stuff in the freezer.
    I love your little stone deer!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a horrible smell. And chicken (duck) seems to really smell the worst. I am glad we found it when we did. It would have only gotten worse!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!