Wednesday, November 30, 2016

A Thanksgiving Shopping Hodgepodge

Today is the day we join Joyce at From This Side of the Pond in her Famous Hodgepodge. She supplies the questions and we supply the answers. Let's all go join up with her. What do you say?

1. Give us three rhyming words that say something about your Thanksgiving holiday (or your most recent holiday gathering if you didn't celebrate Thanksgiving).

Crazy, lazy, hazy

I cooked like crazy and then we got lazy. The day started out a bit hazy!



2. When did you last say, 'the more the merrier'? Did you mean it?


The last time I said this was probably when I was hosting a holiday meal and someone asked if they could bring someone. I always say, "the more the merrier" and yes I mean it! As long as we have enough food I'm willing to share. 

3. What's one piece of advice you'd give someone who is your same age?


To all the people my own age: Stop fretting about getting "old". It is what we do. To stop getting "old" means we have died. Embrace the years!!


4. You're ordering a veggie plate, what four veggies are on it?


My tray will consist of Brussels sprouts, asparagus, broccoli, and roasted carrots!! I really like all vegetables. I don't think I have eaten a vegetable that I haven't liked!


5. Shop til you drop! Did you? Have you ever? Will you between now and Christmas?


On Thanksgiving eve Harley informed me that she had run out of food for her plecostomus (we call it a sucker fish). I told her he would be okay for a day or two without an Algae wafer. This is when she said that it had actually been a few days without. So we decided to make a 'fast' trip to Walmart. Did I mention that it was Thanksgiving eveing? Around 6 p.m. 

When we got to Walmart, the parking lot was jammed with cars. And people were actually running into the store. Not out of it, like a bomb scare might conjur up, but into the store. We found a parking place, about 2 blocks from the entrance. We made our way into the store. I decided, since we were here anyway, that we should also pick up some sliced cheese (for post-Thanksgiving ham and cheese sandwiches) After all, we were already here. 

So I headed to the fish department and Harley headed to the cheese department. Both at opposite ends of the store. Of course! I quickly found the algae wafers and texted her to see where she was. She texted back that she couldn't get the cheese because they wouldn't let her near the cheese counter. Now, I am one of those people who don't like to be told I can't do something. Do you know people like me?? So, I met up with her and we headed to the dairy case. They had yellow (crime style tape) tied up to keep people away. And they had large cases of merchandise set up in front of the dairy case. Things like DVD's, toy trucks, wrapping paper....you know, all the high sellers of the holiday season. There was a Walmart employee guarding over the entrance to the aisle and I asked him, "how can I get a package of cheese?" He just looked at me and shrugged. I said, "can I step over the crime-tape?" He said, "nope"!

So I left, to find another entrance. Another way I could just get a single package of cheese. I DID step over some of the crime tape. Of course I did! And I headed down the aisle as close as I could get. There were a row of frozen food freezers between me and the cheese. I thought about climbing up on the freezer and jumping into the aisle. But my old lady body just isn't that limber anymore and my granddaughter would have died of embarrassment. I locked eyes with another Walmart employee and motioned him to come over so I could talk to him. I asked him if he would get me a package of sliced Kraft American single-wrapped cheese. He said sure and started off to squeeze his body between a case of DVD's and the cheese counter. He held up two packages for my inspection. I indicated which I would take and he brought me my cheese.

By this time I had figured out what the crime scene tape was all about. It was to create lines for the people who were trying to get to a check out counter and the front of the store. We were at the very back of the store. And there were hundreds of people in these lines. They were pushing carts full of TV's, toys, clothes and various other "I can't live without" bargains. You have got to be kidding me!! I need to wait in line, behind hundreds of these people, to buy a package of algea wafers and sliced American cheese? I commandeered another Walmart employee who kindly (there are still these kinds of people left in the world) told us to follow her to the front of the store where she directed us to the self-checkouts. The self-checkout was no longer a self-check out, but was manned with another Walmart angel. She quickly rang us up, took my money, and handed me the receipt. She said keep this in your hand because you will be checked before you can leave the store. Ha! Ha! Okay!! And when we got to the exit, sure enough, a young man took a look at the receipt and swiped it with a yellow marker. Out the door we went, fighting our way through a crowd who were fighting their way into this madhouse. Can you believe this?? Where do all of these crazy people come from? Are the bargains really THAT great?? I will comfortably sit in my chair in front of my computer to complete all of my Christmas shopping. I am not crazy enough to ever again fight my way into a mess of Black- Day Before Friday- shoppers. Next time the sucker fish can just die!! (Not really).   

6. What's your favorite chair in your house, and why is it a favorite?


We have two 'big-boy' Lazy Boy recliners in the living room. One was mine. The other one was Richard's. My favorite chair is Richard's recliner. I don't think I need to explain why!

7. Share an early memory of faith, religion, or spirituality.


I cannot remember the first time I went to church. I was not raised in a family who went to church together. We had a small church in our neighborhood, The Friend's Church. This church is where I attended Sunday morning Sunday School, church services, Wednesday evening services. I went to Bible School there. I played with the preacher's kids in the basement. I played with the preacher's neices in the churchyard. I learned to pray there. I found Jesus there. I have many memories. But I can't think of a FIRST memory. My mom used to say, "If you can't find Paula, and the church doors are open, that is the first place to look. 

8. Insert your own random thought here.


After my long tale about shopping on Thanksgiving I am not going to bore you with a random thought. Just to have a good week. And get busy decorating the Christmas tree. 

33 comments:

  1. Your Walmart experience made me giggle, we are alike in our thinking, I don't respond well to "NO" I will find a way around the rules every time. My step mom finds this behavior embarrassing, I think it's a challenge that needs to be overcome. Have a good week.
    Cheers!
    Lori in Blue Ridge, GA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My granddaughter finds it embarrassing too. But she wanted that sliced cheese! Thanks for Visiting Loris!

      Delete
  2. That's quite the shopping story. Thanks for sharing. I was going to say that perhaps the cheese wasn't safe. Glad it was blocked for other reasons. Next time, make sure to get the fish food early (I doubt Harley will forget again--I hope).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope she doesn't forget again. But unless it is Black Friday or Thanksgiving it won't be that big of a deal!!

      Delete
  3. You are brave going into a Walmart on Thanksgiving! We always use the self checkouts, never a line there. Tree...oh yes one must decorate for Christmas. I never get too excited :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really had no idea Walmart would be like that. Is that naive or what?? I like to get my decorating done because it takes so long so I want to enjoy it as long as possible.

      Delete
  4. I have to say, that was nice for the WalMart employees that helped you to help in that way! I can't imagine going shopping for deals that they offer and having to fight all the people there trying to get the same deals. I know people enjoy doing so, but it seems to me like a terrible ordeal to go through to save a few bucks!

    Putting up the Christmas tree on Saturday!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did appreciate those who wanted to help. There were those who just didn't seem to care. But I imagine I would feel that way after a bit of working in that crowd. Can't wait to see your tree!!

      Delete
  5. That Walmart shopping experience sounds like a nightmare. I don't enjoy Walmart in non-holiday times, so will try to steer clear between now and Christmas especially. Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! We never go to Walmart either. Unless it is the only store open. Or the only store that has what I need. It is usually full of the weirdest people.

      Delete
  6. I've only ever been in a Wal-Mart once. It is nice to know that someone helped you out. As I said in my blog, I hate shopping unless it is for food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness your shopping trip sounds like a nightmare but I loved the way you told it! lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, what a story. I do not like Wal-Mart during a weekend, so this had to be CRAZY!!
    Thank you for sharing the story, it made me chuckle.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH.MY.GAWD. Your Wal-Mart 'fish' tale is hysterical! I probably would have tried feeding the fish peanut butter before venturing out in that mess. (There's a halo somewhere just lingering!)

    You're the third person to mention brussel sprouts. I may have to try them again one of these days. Love your answer to #3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed my tale Myra. It was a story to behold! I'm praying that halo is waiting for me somewhere. LOL!! We love Brussels spouts here. Try them with cheese.

      Delete
  10. Your rhyming words are great. :)

    I think getting old isn't really so bad. It is just the way other people react to it that causes the problems mostly. Some folks think people have a lesser value just because they are older. I, for one, think the old folks have a great deal of value! They have experienced things we have yet, or may never, experience. They have stories to tell and lessons to teach us and we should be willing and wise enough to listen to them.

    Your veggie plate sounds wonderful to me!

    Wow! I would have blown a gasket in the Walmart, I know it. It seems to me they are cutting off part of their own profits by keeping people from the groceries just because people are there for the toys/electronics/etc. sales. It is ridiculous. I'm glad you didn't climb over the freezer and risk breaking your neck, though I certainly understand the temptation! :)

    Your answer to #6 is so sweet. {{{Hugs}}}

    I think it is cool what your mama said about you and the church. I was at church every time the doors were open when I was a kid, too.

    Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Suzanne! I don't mind getting older either. It is better than the alternative, isn't it? I worked in a couple of nursing homes and I love the elderly. They are full of such stories and so much wisdom. I love Richard's chair. It feels like he is hugging me! I hope the rest of your week is happy!

      Delete
    2. Yes, it is better than the alternative, especially if the alternative comes in a bad way.
      Those elderly folks were blessed to have someone taking care of them that truly cared. That wasn't our experience when David had to be in one after his toe was amputated. It was a horrible experience for us. But, we did meet the great elderly lady there. She was 102 years old and still kickin' it. She could get around faster than we could, even though she was using a walker. She was a very sweet lady named Mrs. Coffey.

      Though I have yet to be in the position you are in, I can understand to a degree that Richard's chair feels like a hug to you. It is like having a part of him there with you, something that he touched, somewhat like David's pillow was for me when he was in the hospital and we didn't know if he'd be coming back home to us or not.

      Thank you. I hope that the rest of your week is happy, too. :)

      Delete
    3. I was thinking that the alternative would be death! I know that all nursing homes are not good places. But in all nursing homes there are good people. Unfortunately people usually remember the bad! I always tried to tell my staff that people would go away remembering the worst, never the good. And that is just the way it is!

      Delete
  11. Thanksgiving sales and Black Friday events should be outlawed precisely because of the way people respond to them. If someone wanted to inspire my father to do something, the easiest way to do that was to tell him not to, or that he could not do it. Come hell or high water, he was going to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt that we can legislate shopping David. But it's a good idea!

      Delete
  12. I like your thoughts about age ! I spent my time watching Christmas movies with grandchildren instead of doing any shopping !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a much better way to spend your time that shopping!

      Delete
  13. Hi Paula - re age: be positive and make life easier for those who will be helping you through ... Veggies - I'd go with asparagus (yes!), cauliflower, brussels and fresh tomatoes ...

    Enjoy the festive season as it unfolds ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is good advice on aging Hilary! Oh yes and fresh home grown tomatoes I would add!

      Delete
  14. God bless you Paula for caring enough about Harley's fish to brave the crowds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I would have felt guilty if he had died!

      Delete
  15. BlueHost is ultimately one of the best web-hosting provider with plans for any hosting requirements.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!