Wednesday, November 23, 2016

A Thanksgiving Hodgepodge.

Let's get busy and do the Hodgepodge. And then head on over to From This Side of the Pond and add your name to the link. Don't forget to visit a few of the lovely people and spread some love among them!



1. What's something you might say runs in your family? 

Oh this one could be so much fun! But I will stay as nice as I can. My family is all very opinionated and hard headed. We all have those lovely traits. Sometimes it can make for interesting family get-togethers. (We don't do much of that anymore. Probably because of opinionated, hard-headed people). 

2. I read here a list of ten things you should do before 2017 arrives (in less than six weeks!)...which tasks on the list might you do? What would you add to your own 'before the year ends' list?

visit your Dr. or dentist, deep clean your home, donate unwanted items to charity, look someone in the eye and tell them you love them, write an honest letter to yourself, clean up your inbox-desktop-photos, travel to a place you haven't been, compliment a stranger, watch the sunrise, think ahead to your goals/plans for the new year

I am hoping to finish some deep cleaning that I have started. I have been working in the kitchen and it is looking mighty good. I tend to horde hand towels (according to my youngest granddaughter) so I cleaned out two drawers of hand towels. I got rid of a lot. I told the girls I would keep them and hand them off to them when they get their first homes. Justin told me I need to do the same thing to the linen closet. Maybe later this week. There is no way I'll watch a sunrise. I just don't believe in getting up that early any more. I am thinking ahead to my goals for 2017.

3. What's something other generations (not your own) misunderstand about your generation? 


Many people believe we baby boomers are the 'me' generation. I think this couldn't be further from the truth. All the baby boomers I know are very family oriented people who are giving back to their communities in one way or another. They still live very active lifestyles (well, most of them do).  



4. Sweet potato casserole, mashed potatoes and gravy, cornbread dressing-which would you miss the most if it weren't on the holiday dinner menu?


I would most miss dressing. But it won't be cornbread dressing. It will be my version of 'doctored' Stove Top Stuffing!!


5. What are you overthinking right now?


Right now I am over-thinking question number 3. LOL! I will get it right before I hit the publish button. 

6. Your favorite slang word lately?


I live with teenagers. I hear a lot of slang. And I don't understand most of it. Slang to me involves words like "cool", "groovy" "right on". They laugh. I don't care. Probably my most used slang of the moment might be "hashtag". I like to torment my granddaughter so I often say "hashtag" or "fleek". She just rolls her eyes and tells me I'm not using it in the right way. LOL!!



7. Write an acrostic for the word grateful.


Going to write a little poem right here,
Raging a war within myself.
Ain't nothing for you to fear.
Till I put it upon the shelf.
Eager to see what you might think
For words can mean so much
Ugly some are, some just for myself.
Love to all who see it as such. 



8.  Insert your own random thought here.


Wishing a Happy Thanksgiving to all across the land. Might we let go of the hatred and see each other for what we are. Accept the differences and embrace the similarities! Peace!

31 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. That's what I say too, Joanne! Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  2. Now I'm feeling some major linen-closet guilt! LOL.
    Heck. Not only do I not know 'twitter-speak', I've never even heard of 'fleek'?!
    Your acrostic has me intrigued, yes.

    Wishing you, Justin, Darian and Harley a most heartwarming Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!Ha! If a teen says something is on-fleek it means it is good or great. My acrostic was just off the top of my head. No hidden meaning. Have a great Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  3. I too am intrigued with your acrostic. I have to laugh, I have no idea, even though it has been explained to me several times, what a hashtag is :) I agree, I don't think we baby boomers are the "me" generation. I actually think it is the millenniums that have that "mentality."

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about the millennials . They haven't a clue! Happy Thanksgiving!!

      Delete
  4. Your random thought is right on. Have a Happy Thanksgiving. I had to ask our daughter about fleek. I had never heard it. It is a different world out there now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it really is different out there now. Happy Thanksgiving David!

      Delete
  5. LOVE your random - so very true!!! Happy Thanksgiving my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. GN has used fleek a TON, so I knew that one. Good job on the acrostic!!! Still on my blog break, but just stopping in to wish you Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to see you come off your break for a bit! Happy Thanksgiving to you and GN!!

      Delete
  7. Happy Thanksgiving. I, too, hear all the current slang terms. The teens think I don't understand them. I do. I just pretend I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Family gatherings can really be an adventure, can't they? It was always interesting to see what "show" would be put on for everyone each Thanksgiving when I was a kid. Mama and Granny weren't overly fond of each other, so there was always a bit of excitement.

    I don't like to get up early. But, I've seen many a sunrise because I haven't yet gone to bed. I'm a night owl by nature. :)

    The youth speak of today can be very entertaining. We definitely get a vocabulary lesson from our kids. David and I just look at each other and say, "Huh? What's that mean?"

    You did a fine job on your acrostic. :)

    I hope that you have a very blessed night and Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent over 20 years working the night shift at the hospital so that is how I saw my sunrises!

      Delete
  9. A good random thought at the end of a good post. Happy Thanksgiving Paula

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Probably because of opinionated, hard-headed people" Ya think. I think it was more the family just got to big for most of us to handle. Although some battle lines were drawn also. Think I'll grab the kids and head in to daughters shortly. Happy thanksgiving to all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and to define # hashtag, to see how heavy the turkey is before you buy

      Delete
    2. Oh and it just happens I watch the sunrise this morning while having a cup of coffee and setting on the front porch while the kids run around the yard peeing on everything

      Delete
    3. Sadly I think it is more about the hard headedness than the family got too big. Hell, by most standards, this family is a small one. But whatever! Have a happy Thanksgiving with Misty!

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Right back at you lady! Hope yours is as wonderful as you are!!

      Delete
  12. Hope that you had a great Thanksgiving. Thank you for your kind prayers for my beloved SWMBO. You're right, a stem cell transplant is a big deal. We've read about some amazingly good results and we've heard about some not so stellar results. We remain hopeful and as optimistic as we can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thoughts are with you and SWMBO as you go on this journey together!

      Delete
  13. Happy Late Thanksgiving Paula! Been a long time but I peep in here in between all and now I'm having more time on my hands. You always have fun things to do here. Hoping my time will give me more to share in the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your little Grateful Poem.

    Going to write my own right now.
    Remembering friends from near and far
    Always on my mind and heart
    Tender feelings never part
    Even though the time may pass
    Family and friends forever last
    Understanding as I do that
    Loss is temporary too.

    Happy Thanksgiving Paula.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!