Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Wednesday Hodgepodge Makes Sense

Time to join the Hodgepodge. Go on over to see Joyce at From This Side of the Pond. She posts the questions. We answer and post to our blog. And share the love with the other posters. It's a good thing! (as Martha would say).


1. What would you say is your strongest sense? 

I would say my strongest sense is smell. My mom used to say I could smell a dead mouse a mile away. (Due to my huge fear of mice; dead or alive). I love good smells like baking bread, vanilla, cinnamon, and citrus. And hate bad smells like dead things, skunks, and smelly feet. I used to have really good hearing. But not so much anymore. And the eyesight isn't that great either. Unfortunately my sense of taste is still 100% intact. I have often wondered if I would still be fat if things didn't have a taste. LOL!

2. Do you believe in the idea of a 'sixth sense'? Why or why not?


Yes, I believe! I feel it with my kids and my grandkids. I know when something is not right. I feel it. And when I worked at the hospital thfeeling of intuition was really important. Sometimes you just feel things in your gut. 

3. When do you most feel like a slave to time? Explain.


I am not a slave to time anymore. I quit being a slave to time when I stopped working outside the home. I am a very "on time" person but I am not a slave to it anymore.

4. Have you ever worked in a restaurant? How would you rate the experience? If you could own a restaurant what kind would it be? 


Yes, my first job was as a waitress in a small dive here in town. I wasn't quite 16. The place was pretty much a dump but the food was good. It catered to a lot of drunks in the after hours. And the boss was very 'handsy' if you know what I mean. I didn't stay there long. My next job was for Lum's. Lum's was a chain restaurant from the 1970's. It's signature dish was hot dogs steamed in beer. According to Wikipedia there is only one Lum's still open in the United States; Bellevue, Nebraska. I was just 18. I was allowed to serve beer. At my training session I spilled a tray of beer on a table of Lum's executives. Believe it or not they didn't fire me. LOL! But it was another place with a 'handsy' boss. I am not interested in owning a restaurant. 

5. Ever traced your family tree? Share something interesting you learned there.


I haven't really traced my family tree. I used to gather names whenever we were traveling, but I didn't do anything with it. My mom's side of the family has been traced by other family members. I didn't learn anything interesting about them. 

6. What did your childhood bedroom look like?


Oh goodness! I don't even remember. It had a double bed. And was pretty messy. And I shared it with my sister until she got married and moved to Texas. That is about all I can remember. So I guess it wasn't impressive.

7. Anyone who knows me knows I love sour cream!

8. Insert your own random thought here.


I just entered into the iPhone world. Do you have any neat apps to suggest? I'm game to try most anything. How did we ever get along without a cellphone??

24 comments:

  1. I still don't have a cell phone and the one on the wall has an answering device. I know I am living in the dark ages...I just hate phones:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally understand. I am always telling the teens how we never used to feel the need to always have a phone close by. They, of course, think I'm crazy. I do like my cell phone however. It is so much more than just a phone!

      Delete
  2. Hubby has a good sense of smell too. He'll be always asking "do you smell that?" and I'm like (clueless) "no." It can be a gift and a curse I think :)

    Nowadays that "handsy" could be sexual harassment. I worked for a boss one time that was always wanting to hug the female workers. I'm like "nope, you aren't hugging me." I personally didn't care if I got fired (didn't).

    I had an aunt that did a lot with our family tree. I don't think anyone took up her work after she passed. It can be fascinating, but a lot of tedious work to sort it all out.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true about the sense of smell being a gift or a curse. I see it both ways. There are days when I wish I couldn't smell anything. Yes, handsy would be sexual harassment in this day and age. Glad I don't deal with that anymore.

      Delete
  3. Yep the handsy would definitely be sexual harrassment. I worked in a jewellery shop for one of my first Saturday jobs and the boss there was definitely "handsy" I used to avoid him whenever possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is how I was. We never went into the kitchen alone in that first job. I finally just got tired of it and quit!

      Delete
  4. I do not have a smartphone. My cell is in my purse is not on. I used to tell my kids that if I was so important that I needed to be reached at all times I would have a red phone next to my bed. (The only reason I ever had a phone in the first place was because the police department bought me one so they could reach me when need be. Like when businesses were sneaking out in the middle of the night and not paying taxes). I read that the average person spend five hours a day staring at their phone. Are you kidding me????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably do spend that much time on my phone. But I'm retired so I have the time! To me it is like a computer. We all spend too much time there as well.

      Delete
  5. Hi Paula - probably sight and awareness - but I'm very fortunate with my senses: all there ...
    My uncle did our family tree by 1978 ... for my father's side ... I'm sort of adding things in for my mother's side ... but no children - as long as I can get as much as possible and perhaps just make them all into chapters - I'll have a mountain of information - going back to the 1600s ... daunting ...

    My childhood bedroom - glad you reminded me .. I can add that in ... I still have the pictures today ... adult landscape/sea scene pictures ... but the other thing was looking out of the window onto ruby hollyhocks -nearly as high as the window and a pebble dash wall ... and the garden - two sides ...

    That's enough - and I'm reminded!! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you were able to invoke some memories here today Hilary. That is what I like about reading blogs! Have a super day!!

      Delete
  6. Hi Paula - this was a great hodgepodge and I liked your answers :) Thanks for popping over to read mine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have fun with your new phone. I am not very savvy when it comes to apps, but if you have a particular hobby or interest and type it in the searc bar in the app store you will likely find many. I like SheReadsTruth (daily devotional and wallpaper for my phone), Map My Walk (fitness app) and Words With Friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do Map My Walk....now I just need to walk. And Words With Friends. I am so bad at that but maybe I should give it another try!

      Delete
  8. Hiya Paula: I'm a fan of the 3M Cloud Library app. Maybe your first boss should have read more and kept his hands on books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know there was an app. I will look into that Gram

      Delete
  9. I've got a few apps for photography--like Snapseed, Prisma, and Artisto.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, the iPhone. I've got all sorts of fun tips. Did you know you can text from the lock screen? And if you shake the phone, it'll delete everything you just typed. (This is useful if you're texting and you change your mind with what you want to say.) I also have all my apps on one screen. There's more, but I can't think of them right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you know your iPhone well!!

      Delete
  11. That's so funny about spilling the beer on the execs! (OK, maybe it wasn't so funny to you at the time ....)

    As a youngster, my dad turned me on to eating sour cream smeared on a slice of dark brown bread with a liberal helping of sugar. I hadn't thought of that in ages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, now it is!! I haven't ever heard of eating sour cream that way!!

      Delete
  12. I have never worked in a restaurant but 3 of the 4 kids did and 2 still do. Tough work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard work. Any kind of job dealing with the public is hard work. I can't imagine that you are anything but glad to no longer be doing police work

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!