Saturday, October 29, 2016

The Help-A book Review

This is one of those books I have heard about for a long time before I read it. The book was published in 2009. The story is about a group of black maids, working in Jackson, Mississippi, in the early days of the 1960's. Kathryn Stockett, a white lady, is the author and this is her first novel. I read that she was rejected by 60+ publishers before she found one who would publish her story.

The story centers around three people. Two black maids, Minny and Aibileen, and the white lady, Skeeter, who wants to write a book about black maids and their white employers. 

Skeeter's mother is the quintessential white lady, who wants her daughter to get married, hire help, and give her some grandchildren. But Skeeter has been to four years of college and wants to be a writer. She is trying to find a job in publishing when she is given the opportunity to write a book detailing the relationships between the white ladies and their black maids. It is a dangerous thing to do in the early days of the race movement in the United States. 

The books details what the maids go through in telling their stories. Not all of the stories are negative. Many of the maids love the families they work for. But many of them are fed up with the way they are treated. This book will change their lives. Some for the better. And some not so much.

I really enjoyed the story. I wondered in the beginning how a white author was going to tell the story. But I think it was well done. It doesn't dwell on the really bad things many of the blacks went through. It just told the story! I give the book **** four stars.  

28 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the book. Never saw the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the movie either. I am not much of a movie person!

      Delete
  2. I read the book in print when it first came out. Then I listened to the audio version (loved it) - and I own it, so can listen to it again whenever I wish. I saw the movie too - it was pretty good! Own the movie too - LOL!

    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review!
    This was one of those instances, I thought, in which it was particularly important to read the book BEFORE seeing the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why is that Linda? I hardly ever see the movies And the few books I have read and then seen the movie....I usually liked the book best!

      Delete
  4. I never read the book, Paula. 'Strongly suspect because I wasn't exactly enamored with the movie. Never having had first-hand experience (!), I could be totally off-base ... but I felt the white ladies were unfairly depicted as racist caricatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would be hard to write something of this , "after the fact". It would tend to make you write it different, I imagine. The book was good. I am not really one to see the movies!

      Delete
  5. I also enjoyed the book. Made me think about that time period. I just finished a really good book called The Secret Daughter. It was a powerful story well written going between India and America. One I couldn't put down.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have that on my to-read list. I am reading another book right now about India! Interesting!!

      Delete
  6. Read the book and saw the movie and enjoyed both of them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you liked the book! It was one of my favorites from 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Paula - glad you enjoyed the book ... I've seen the movie ... and read various articles ... looks like you'll be buying the movie or the audio - perhaps for Christmas as a present?! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've not yet read the book, but have seen the movie twice. It's very good. I'm interested to read the book, too. Maybe I'll have to get it as an e-book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have it as an e-book! Wish I could share!!

      Delete
  10. Wow! You got through abother book already! Glad you liked it. Reading is a great pastime isn't it? Gimme a book, a quilt and a cuppa joe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tried to read the book when it came out and everyone was raving about it. I did not like the author's style of writing and with so many books to read, I returned it to the library. I never did see the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the style. But I agree, if you don't like it, there are too many books to read!!

      Delete
  12. I liked the movie. Haven't read the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the book. A lot. Probably won't see the movie. Harley said it was on TV recently!

      Delete
  13. I have the movie and really liked it. I have never read the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed the book. Never seen the movie!

      Delete
  14. I really enjoyed reading this book and the movie was on TV here recently. I usually prefer to read a book before seeing the movie. I don't enjoy a book so much if I know what's going to happen. I waited ages before watching the Lord of the Rings DVDs we had because it took me so long to read the book but I'm glad I did.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!