Tuesday, October 11, 2016

The Firm-A Book Review

I have been a long time fan of John Grisham. I love the legal system so I love these kinds of thrillers.

In The Firm, Mitch McDeere has finished law school at the top of his class. He is shopping around to find the perfect law firm to work for. When he is approached by Bendini, Lambert, & Locke of Memphis, Tennessee, he is offered more than one can hope for. He can become a multi-millionaire and retire at a young age as a full partner of the Firm. They offer him a BMW, a low-interest mortgage, the options to vacation in the islands at the Firm's condos. Even an interior decorator for their first home.  Who can refuse an offer like that??

But, there is a catch. Isn't there always? What Mitch doesn't know is the Firm's biggest client is the mob. And they are a money-laundering cover. Mitch will NOT be allowed to leave the Firm alive. Ever! 

I liked the main character. In fact, I wanted him to WIN. I wanted him to live. BUT, the story is rather unbelievable, even though it is a fascinating read. A real 'page-turner'. I just don't think it could happen in real life!! And I like the court-action in legal thrillers. This book didn't have that!

But I recommend the book. And I give it ***. It is a good story. A good way to pass your time. Good fiction. The reason I read!!



14 comments:

  1. I'm also a Grisham fan. Have you seen the film?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the movie years ago, I had the same feeling of things not happening in real life either. I may have read the book, but 100% sure if I did.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I had read the book, Betty But I didn't remember it at all.

      Delete
  3. It's been years since I read anything by Grisham! You're right ... it's largely implausible, but an engaging read.
    They lost me when Tom Cruise was cast in the movie role. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't like Tom Cruise??? Me either! LOL

      Delete
  4. I read this when it first was published--I remember liking it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the only book I read by him was the one about the jury...can't remember the name! Anyway, I always enjoy reading your book reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Runaway Jury! Thank you Jeanette for reading!

      Delete
  6. Wow! You're cranking out the books! Reading is such a great thing to do and you are setting a good example for your grands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just being more lazy and reading instead of cleaning. LOL!

      Delete
  7. I like Grisham too. I read this one many years ago. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!