Monday, October 10, 2016

My Life List-October 10th Edition

LOOKING OUT MY WINDOW....

I was awakened early this morning by thunderstorms. It is still cloudy but the rain has stopped. It is currently 62* Tomorrow is supposed to be over 80* That is how fall in Kansas looks!

AS I PONDER.... 

I ponder last night's Presidential Debate and think the only losers here are the people of the United States. We are looking at scary times ahead. However, the more debates I listen to the more aware I am of who I am going to vote for. I do NOT want a President who is very thin-skinned!


WHAT I AM LEARNING...

I am learning that it just may not matter what the issues are for this country. Neither of the candidates are really going to discuss them. Although, one of them discusses them more than another does. 






WHAT I 'M CREATING...

I am trying to create a weekly menu, a grocery list, a plan for the week.


WHAT I'M READING....


I am reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett and I am listening to The Sister by Louise Jensen. 


WHAT I'M WATCHING...


Last week a dear blogging friend (actually there were two of you beautiful ladies) recommended I watch This Is Us. This show is on Tuesday evenings on NBC. I found the first two episodes on ON DEMAND and watched them. WOW! Blew me away. Great actors. Gerald McRaney (Simon and Simon) plays a doctor! Katy Segal( Married with Children) plays a Hollywood agent on the second episode and Brad Garret (Everybody Loved Raymond) plays a television network president. Some of the permanent cast (like Sterling K. Brown who played on Army Wives and was also on American Crime Story) are some well known stars. I love the storyline. It brought me to tears. It made me laugh. And the plot twist is fantastic. If you haven't seen it yet, you should jump on board. I read there will be 18 episodes this season. Thanks Wendy and Far Side of Fifty!! 

WHAT I'M HEARING...


At the moment I am listening to MSNBC! Why? Because the remote is too far away to change the channel.

Pictures I want to share....


These are memories from last summer when we went on a picnic. I am hoping we will find the time for a Fall picnic before it is too cold outside. 










WHAT I'M DRINKING....


I am enjoying my second cup of French vanilla laced coffee.


WHAT'S HAPPENING IN THE KITCHEN...


Monday...Onion Crusted Chicken

Tuesday...French Toast Casserole

Wednesday..Taco Bell outing

Thursday...Chicken Stuffing Casserole

Friday...TBA

Saturday...TBA

Sunday...TBA


A QUOTE I WANT TO SHARE...








LOOKING FORWARD....







Happenings in my backyard...

Harley and I watched a fascinating sight in our backyard. It was nearing dusk. I had stepped outside to shake a rug and noticed a really large bird under the cypress tree. It had it's wings spread out. Nearly two feet of wing span. I stood quietly and watched. He hopped around and showed us his prey. A poor little rabbit had met his fate. The normal progression of life on earth. The hawk tried his best to grab his dinner in his talons and fly away but was unable to do so. I supposed the rabbit was just too big. Harley stood near by (too close as far as I was concerned) and took pictures. She is fascinated by these kinds of things. Her A & P class recently dissected a fetal pig. This girl is not a squeamish one, at all. The hawk soon had his fill and flew away. The poor bunny found his way to the poly-cart!! Life goes on. That's the lesson.  


A peek into my week...


  Monday...A quiet day

  Tuesday...Working on de-cluttering the laundry room

  Wednesday...Darian's military day and Harley has youth group

  Thursday...No current plans 

  Friday...TBA
  Saturday...TBA
  Sunday...TBA


A final thought...

I am beyond excited. My local Dillon's store is offering "on-line" ordering of groceries. Then you can pay with your debit/credit card and pick your groceries up at a selected time. They will pack them into your car. I have always thought this would be a great idea. I have no clue what it will cost. The first three times you use this service it is free. I am going to definitely give it a try. I think abut how much money I will save by not doing any impulse buying. What do you think? Do you have this service in your vicinity? Have you tried it?

26 comments:

  1. I think that show is called This Is Us and yes, it's fantastic! Great cast of characters and how they revealed the twist was awesome! Great writing and I am looking forward to watching! Love the pictures, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanette. You are right. I fixed it in the blog!!

      Delete
  2. I took a nap yesterday, to be able to watch the debate and get up this morning. I'm still tired. Sad and tired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so sad about the hawk and bunny. Circle of life and all that ... ya, my head 'gets' it, but my heart won't listen. I'd probably be 'that' hysterical old lady out there with a baseball bat, trying to save the rabbit.

    Our Fry's supermarket has begun doing the same thing! Their stores are so clean and attractive, and their clerks so amazing, I'd probably still go inside just to interact. Nevertheless, I still registered online ... it was almost creepy, except for the wine, they had all our prior purchases for the last 30 days!

    Love these photos from last year's picnic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harley was so accepting of the whole circle of life. Although she loves bunnies. My 'adopted' grandchildren raise them in their garage for 4-H. I found that my store showed all my purchases too. We can't buy wine in the grocery store. We have to go to liquor stores to buy that and whiskey!

      Delete
  4. I heard of that TV show and watched the trailers for it before it started, but knew there would be no way hubby would want to watch it (he owns the remote here, LOL). Maybe I'll have to see if I can watch it elsewhere. I have heard it is really good!

    Poor bunny and hawk, would have been interesting to observe. It is good Harley is not squeamish. Maybe a career in medicine for her?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard used to own the remote too. But I got my own TV in the bedroom back then. Now I own the remote. LOL It is a really good show. She wants to be a nurse, Betty!

      Delete
  5. I envy your new shopping experience. Green with envy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to try it. I'll let you know how it goes!!

      Delete
  6. Oh no! Not the bunny! I get the circle of life thing, but that would hve been tough to watch. Every morning we see two run from our yard, one goes to the rigth and the other runs to the left. Such sweet photos of your picnic. I hope you get to do it yet. I like the sound of your temps better than ours. If I told Gn what was on your menu for Thursday, she would ask me to bring her to your house. She loves stuffing casserole. When she was younger, we had fun concocting stuffing hotdish of one sort or another. I love your "Time to be Fearless" message. Do you feel fearless? I've been thinking about that all day. Idon't know if I do, but I'm going to keep plugging along. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have many, many, many bunnies here!! By the time we were watching the bunny had already bitten the bullet. Harley likes anything with chicken. So the Thursday meal will be a favorite with her. Wish we were close enough I could invite you and GN over. Nope I don't feel fearless at all. I want to though. It's a goal!

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed Timeless too! I have to add it to my DVR list.
    A long time ago one o the grocery stores in town would shop for Seniors and then deliver to the door, not sure if they do it anymore or not, it used to cost $3.00 I think...my Mother In Law used it during the winter when her car was put away for the winter. I looked at Jett a few times and for staples I think that is the way to go...I just want to pick out my own fresh vegetables and fruits and menu plan while I hop!
    We have a few bunnies in our yard too I hope they make he winter but it is doubtful.
    I am not fearless...I may be after the snow comes and the sssnakes are underground:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched Timeless either. I will have to check it out. I never thought much about them picking my fruits and vegetables. I'll have to see how it goes. I'm not fearless either. But I want to be!

      Delete
  8. I have read The Help. It was very good and enlightening too. We've had temps that have bounced back and forth too. This morning my furnace came on. It's set at 67. Hope you have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My furnace came on this morning too, Ma! But now it is going on 80*

      Delete
  9. Hi Paula - you're busy as usual ... love those photos of you three at the picnic. Getting shopping delivered can be a boon - particularly for the larger and heavier shops ... definitely worth a try ...

    I hope the storms have left you undamaged ... all the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  10. The debate really turned me off and for a brief period I considered not voting. But I am more afraid of the thin skinned candidate and have disliked him since day one but it makes me sad all the same.

    We have various delivery food shopping options here but have never used them. My husband seems to enjoy food shopping and has shopped with me always. Since he has few social outlets, we will continue until I cannot drive. I will be interested in your experience and if it saves you money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Elaine. Making that guy our president scares the hell out of me. My husband loved grocery shopping too. He did it all for us. I don't like to go at all.

      Delete
  11. Awoke this AM after a cool nigh of 61*, felt good. Only had 1 short rain shower here in the last 10 days and don't even have a good chance again a week from tomorrow. This our dry season.
    We have that shopping deal down here in our Walmart stores, I signed up but really would rather touch, smell and feel what I buy. Walmart would be closer right now, my store is still remodeling after the flood, so I am driving to Hammond to shop.
    My mind is made up on the election, time for the change we were promised 8 years ago. I'm tired of politicians, time for a business man to turn the country around

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't had any rain for a couple of days. Today will be in the 80's. I hate grocery shopping so I will probably give it a try. I don't need to touch or smell!! LOL! No way will I vote for a business man!! NO Way!

      Delete
  12. I read a spoiler before watching the pilot of This is Us, and so the "big twist" wasn't a surprise to me. I don't know if that's why, but I didn't feel like the show really caught my interest. The show I'm loving at the moment is Designated Survivor. I didn't expect that one to capture my attention like it did.

    The local grocery stores have been offering online ordering (and delivery) for a while now in my area. I've never done it, mostly because I enjoy grocery shopping. But it would be nice if I ever have need of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think that would have changed my mind about the show. Are you talking about one of the babies being black as the "big twist"? I don't like grocery shopping. It is something Richard always did for me!

      Delete
    2. No, the "big twist" was that all the stories weren't taking place contemporaneously.

      Delete
  13. That is a good point about saving money from not impulse buying. Tingting recently started working for a company in which she is given your grocery list, goes shopping and delivers it to your home.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!