Thursday, October 13, 2016

Marriage By Mail

Five Minute Friday

You can find the prompt at Heading Home. 


Here’s how it works:

Every Thursday, a one-word prompt will be announced here on Kate's blog at 10pm EST.
The link-up is open for a full week, until the following Thursday evening.

To participate in Five Minute Friday, all you have to do is write for five minutes on the word of the week, post your words on your own blog, and link up the post on Kate's blog (via the InLinkz button at the bottom of the post). Be sure to add the actual permalink to your specific post, and not your blog’s homepage (e.g. http://katemotaung.com/five-minute-friday/ and not just katemotaung.com).

Just write.


Also, the most important rule is that you visit the blog of the person who linked up before you and leave some encouragement.  That’s the most fun of all, and the heart of this community





The word this week is Mail.

Go

Over the years the mail has played an important role in my life. When I was a young, 18 year old girl, I received my diamond engagement ring in the US mail. My first husband was stationed in Newport News, Virginia. He sent my ring via the mail. I said yes. We planned a wedding.

We sent out the invitations. All neatly handwritten, ivory envelopes, inviting family and friends to our wedding. We used the mail to send out thank you notes for the all wonderful gifts we received.

Two years later I moved to Newport News, Virginia (after the ship returned again from being out to sea). I filled the mail with letters home to my mom. Telling her of life in a Navy town. I was only there for 3 months. Then I returned home when the ship went back to the Indian Ocean. There was a undeclared war going on in VietNam. I came home from Virginia with a tiny seed growing. The mail carried pictures of a newborn baby to his daddy at sea. 

Four years after that the mail carried out another set of birth announcements for the arrival of a baby brother. No more letter writing. No more photos traveling half-way across the world. Daddy was home.

And three years after that the mail carried my divorce papers. A nine year marriage came to an end. Things didn't work. It couldn't be mended. The mail had seen the last of my pain.

Stop

22 comments:

  1. Those were the days weren't they when people eagerly awaited letters and important news via the mail. Anticipation waiting for a letter and excitement when one came. Lots of happy news sent by mail and then of course the sad and hard news too. I remember growing up and we moved away from family in Pennsylvania to California. I think my mom welcomed all the letters received from her sisters during that time. Something special about getting a letter or card in the mail these days, isn't it?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is special. I still like receiving things in the mail. But I love the swiftness of email!!

      Delete
  2. Paula, all I can say is WOW. This is the stuff of real life, and the genuine-ness of your heart shines.

    Through hope and joy and tragedy, you shine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is MY real life that is for sure. I don't know if I am shining but I am trying!! Thank you Andrew!

      Delete
  3. Wow! A lot happened through the mail system in your life. Good, bad, and ugly. I think it's adorable he sent your ring in the mail! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Good, The Bad, The Ugly....story of my life. LOL

      Delete
  4. Hi Paula - mail/the post ... can be a welcome benefit to some - so long may letter writing continue - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Memories good and sombre travel through the mail, affecting real lives like your own. Thank you for sharing your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The mail certainly did provide our main means of communication in years past. Now with email, digital cameras and blogs like our, the news is sent out, announcements made and even obits are read on line. The mail isn't at all like it used to be. Sorry that your marriage didn't work...it happens to so many. I too sent many letters out to the love of my life when he was in the service. Thankfully he made it home safe and sound and we had 27 wonderful years together before he passed away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll never be sorry the marriage didn't work. I went on to meet my wonderful husband, Richard, who became the father to my kids. And the best Papa ever to my grandchildren. God has a plan! I am glad you and yours had 27 wonderful years together!!

      Delete
  7. Now it seems as though email has taken over all communication but it is still exciting to get packages through the mail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is still exciting to get notes and letters too!

      Delete
  8. Paula: It all seems so romantic. I'm sorry to hear of your divorce. It happened to my parents too. Dad was in the Navy and moved to different ports of call. He worked on aircraft carriers. He was out to see a lot.

    Letter writing isn't what it used to be.

    Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh, what memories this evokes! I nearly dropped my tablet (earlier in doc's waiting room) when I saw your 'ex' mailed your engagement ring. My son did the same thing when he was overseas! Gotta hand it to the folks at the U.S.P.S.; either they were extremely trustworthy, or they figured no-one would ever be so dumb as to stick a diamond in an envelope. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we have so much in common it is eerie!! Can't believe your son did the same thing!!

      Delete
  10. Paula, your post reminds me of the circle of life. A beginning, a middle, and an end. I hope that your end becomes a new wonderful beginning. #35 on the fmf list this week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a great little story. You could easily expand that just a bit with some more sensory details and publish it as a short story or short memoir excerpt or something.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!