Sunday, October 2, 2016

Living An October Life List

LOOKING OUT MY WINDOW....

If I were to be looking out my window right now I wouldn't see much because it is dark outside. The moon is bright and the stars are shining. The temperature is 66* Our  forecast this week is all over the place: windy, cloudy, rainy, and sun shiny!

AS I PONDER.... 

As I ponder the start of another month (can you believe it is ALREADY October) and a new week I am going to ponder getting some chores done that have been waiting on me for awhile. Wish me luck!


WHAT I AM LEARNING...

I am learning that when I am reading a book with a lot of difficult words (like Russian names and places) it is so much more enjoyable if I have an audible book. I get so hung up on trying to pronounce the words that I miss out on the story. Does that make sense?






WHAT I 'M CREATING...

I have been creating planner spreads and I almost have all of October decorated. I enjoy my planner decorating so much. I have never been much of a crafty girl but this is fun. Also working on my fall mantle. As soon as I get my white pumpkins I'll share pictures with you. It is looking amazing!!


WHAT I'M READING....


I am still reading The Firm by John Grisham and I am listening to Dead Mountain: The Untold True Story of  the Dyatlov Pass Incident by Donnie Eichar. It is read by the author. I am enjoying it very much.


WHAT I'M WATCHING...


One of the shows I am watching this fall is Married at First Sight. Have you ever seen this crazy show? They have relationship experts, a pastor, and a sex expert match up 3 couples who have agreed to meet for the first time at the alter. They then get married, go on a honeymoon, move in together. They stay together for 6 weeks. At the end of 6 weeks they have to decide to stay together and work on their relationship. Or if they are going to get a divorce. This show is like looking at a train wreck. I watched it last season for the first time. None of the 3 couples stayed together. Doesn't speak well for the 'experts' does it?

WHAT I'M HEARING...


Right now I am listening to the news. 

WHAT'S ON MY CAMERA...




Harley selling caramel apples at the Fall Frolic


This little guy stayed with me this weekend

And he had to go with me in the car every time.


WHAT I'M DRINKING....


Water, water, water


WHAT'S HAPPENING IN THE KITCHEN...


Monday...Chicken Cordon Blue

Tuesday...Baked Penne Pasta Spinach & Ricotto

Wednesday..Tomato Soup & Grilled Cheese

Thursday...Loaded Baked Potato Soup

Friday...Ham & Turkey Wraps

Saturday...Wendy's Chicken Noodle Soup

Sunday...Hamburger steaks&mushroom soup


A QUOTE I WANT TO SHARE...











Happenings in my backyard...

What is going on in my backyard. My front yard. The side yards. Probably the same thing that is going on in all your yards. Leaves are falling. I said to the kids today that we need a law that says if the leaves fall off your tree then you are responsible for raking them up. I don't have any trees in my yard that are losing any leaves. I have pines, locust, and a cypress tree. The oak rarely loses all its leaves. But my yard is full of maple and cottonwood leaves. 


A peek into my week...

Another not very busy week at my house. For me anyway. Darian has a couple of things going on and Harley will be selling programs at the football game on Friday. So my plans are to do some cleaning and some laundry and I'm going to make some monkey bread tomorrow. 

  


A final thought...

I love this little clip of grandpa getting his very own pair of light up shoes. Have a good week friends and family!

42 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about books with hard to pronounce words and names. It's weird to skim the words, but if you don't know how to say them, it trips you up. (Perhaps War and Peace would have worked better for me if I heard it instead.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will skim if it's only an occasional word but this book is filled with Russian names and places! Ugh, War and Peace. I have even attempted it!

      Delete
  2. Hi Paula you've always got ideas on the 'go' or it's on the list to do each week ... wonderful to read and see - and is spurring me on - to do a few chores. Love the shoe clip - great fun ...

    The Russian Dyatlov Pass incident I hadn't heard of. I must say if I'm reading something with words and places I don't know - I have to have Wikipedia around to help me check things out ... because sometimes I can't hear a pronounced word and then spend ages worrying about it ... but I can quite see your enjoyment in being able to listen to the story.

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not heard of the incident either. I am very much enjoying listening to the book

      Delete
  3. I think we started out having stories be the way the tribe kept history alive. And then happening and events started to be written down, so much was lost. Facial expressions and tone of voice. The pacing of the story changed. It was no longer a part of the oral tradition. I miss that.
    I'm sure that is one of the most compelling reasons that audio books have just taken off. It's like an elder speaking again. it's back on a level that the listener becomes part of the story being told. This can be true about may fiction stories too, and certainly in the memoirs.
    Loved you whole post. Very much told on a personal and intimate level, but having a look into one person in the tribe's oral history. Forgive me if I ramble I am that tired.
    Hugs !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is like listening to a 'storyteller'. Thank you Zippi for all your kind words. You don't ramble to be at all. I just love to hear from you!

      Delete
  4. what a detailed update about your wonderful happening dear .hope you loved the moon through the window ,i see it laying in my yards on eastern bed on the endless sky with its all brightness and divine beauty but window increase the charm of scenes as the make you starve for them to have a close look.

    water is BEST gift glad you are having plenty of it.

    planner ? i used to write planner as teacher and enjoyed writing but never decorated it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a type of planner that a teacher could use. I enjoy decorating it. It is such a rage right now! Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  5. I like the 'falling leaf law' idea. It has been so warm here that none of the leaves have even changed color yet. If you look outside, you would not know it is October. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't seen much color change yet either. But that will change soon

      Delete
  6. Our tree in front is one of the first to loose it's leaves in the neighborhood and the wind usually takes them over to the neighbors yards, but later on I'll get theirs in return. We here are all raking our neighbors leaves. I love all the trees and the shade in the summer but we pay dearly for the pleasure when fall comes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I say. Tomorrow we will be gusty so maybe these leaves will go to the yard where the tree is growing LOL

      Delete
  7. Grandpa shoe video is GREAT FUN to watch. I didn't know they made them for adults. Dead Mountain sounds very interesting. Thanks for the heads up on that. Crafty finds a way to be expressed. You found yours! Glad you have a not busy week. Hope your coughing has subsided and that you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't that video a hoot. I didn't know they made them for adults either. My grands all loved these shoes. I thought about you when I started listening to Dead Mountain. I think you would enjoy it too! Still coughing but not as much at night now!

      Delete
    2. Hiya Paula! I just found a free pdf of Dead Mountain!! I downloaded it to iBooks! Had to tell you! Yea and thanks for thinking of me! If anyone is interested the pdf is here in case anyone wants to read it. Just copy and paste the link in the browser. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/44908464/avalon/docs/Dead%20Mountain_%20The%20True%20Story%20o%20-%20Eichar%2C%20Donnie.pdf

      Delete
    3. I knew you could probably find it either at the library or somewhere. Hope you enjoy reading it. I am really into it right now!

      Delete
  8. I don't miss raking leaves, but miss the pretty colors of them. I too can't believe we are in October. I doubt leaves will change here, but at least the air conditioner won't run as much.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My A/C still kicks on occasionally . But hopefully the rates will now decrease!!

      Delete
  9. Leaves fall from the oak trees last, when the new buds set and push them off.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our neighbor behind us has a huge tree right by the fence and most of the leaves fall into our yard! I'm not a fan of raking but it is good exercise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is good exercise. I just mow mine and mulch them up to stay on the ground!!

      Delete
  11. We watch Married at First Sight, we have since the first season. 2 couples survived that season, don't know if they still are or not but they did for awhile afterwards. I'm not sure what to make out of these past couple of seasons, they've been more or less doomed from the start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially this last one where Heather wants a divorce right after the honeymoon!!

      Delete
    2. Don't even get me started on her. Lol

      Delete
    3. I totally agree Jeff. She is horrible. I don't know what the experts were thinking!

      Delete
  12. I know just what you mean about getting your train of thought interrupted by foreign names or phrases. Really off-putting, I think.

    That pup is adorable!
    ... and Married at First Sight? How dumb! (... but I'd probably grow addicted, all the same.)

    Can't wait to see your mantle, Paula!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that it is dumb to get married at first sight. But watching is such fun!

      Delete
  13. I LOVE the sparky shoes video--I giggled when I first saw it. And I know what you mean about the unpronounceable words/names. It's frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the video too! His reaction is contagious.

      Delete
  14. That TV show sounds like a nightmare. What will they think of next? Lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Paula, have you watched This is Us yet? Only 2 shows but it seems very promising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Wendy! I haven't even heard of it. I will check it out!

      Delete
  16. Love the October quote.
    My dog goes BONKERS at the sound of jingling car keys. What is it about riding in the car ... ?
    Thanks again for cluing me in about SWDB. My October post will go up soon at Practically at Home.
    Happy October!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't follow SWDB anymore. She got a little too snooty for me. I just do my own thing here. But I will come over and read your entry!

      Delete
  17. Cute video! That guy looks like he'd be fun to hang out with...

    I feel your pain with the leaves. I recently had three huge pine trees cut down because they were ruining my vehicle. All that sap dripping! I had to scrape my windshield a couple times a week because of the sap. And the sap has absolutely ruined my hood. I don't think detailing would even be able to get all that sap off. Plus the pine needles and cones drove me nuts. It probably wouldn't have been bad had they not been right next to the driveway...

    I watch Married at First Sight too! What a crazy show! That shy guy drove me nuts. Definitely not a good match for Sonya. And I didn't like Heather at all. I think Tom and Lilly stand the best chance. They seem to be getting on great. But in the end, will they stay together?? I think this week is the season finale, right?

    Happy October Paula...

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness. I don't have to deal with sap from my pine tree. But then I park in the back, in the garage. That would drive me nuts for sure. The pine needles and the cones can get irritating too though. I think you are right that this season will be the end of MAFS. It is a train wreck.

      Delete
  18. Watch This is Us...a great show...and I liked Timeless too! Yes I have watched Married at First Sight I was not impressed but sometimes I like to listen to mindless TV.

    leaves..leaves are everywhere here:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindless TV is one of my favorite guilty pleasures!

      Delete
  19. Won't even try Russian names, hell Creole/Cajun give me fits enough. Groomer kept calling my puppy Boo Boo until I changed the spelling to Beaux Beaux for her. I now have a site bookmarked where i can hear the names pronounced

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good idea. I imagine those names would be as bad as Russian!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!