Monday, October 31, 2016

Happy Halloween Life List

LOOKING OUT MY WINDOW....

A beautiful day here in Kansas. It is currently 65* on the way to 80* No wind. Blue skies. Sun is shining. Will be in the 70's all this week. Hard to believe it is almost November.


AS I PONDER....

Around 1959-1960
I am pondering Halloweens of the past today. I remember going trick or treating as a child. It was a BIG deal to us. We used pillowcases for our sacks. And we scoured the entire town. (Of course Pratt wasn't all that big). I remember my brothers would go around the town more than once. And they liked to play tricks on younger kids too!! Scared me more than once. I am sure I have shared this picture before but here it is again. That lovely witch would be me!! We used to dress up in the morning and wear the costume all day at school. Now, the kids (not the ones who live with me, they are too old) put them on in the morning, parade around the school, take them off and get busy with school.




WHAT I AM LEARNING...

I've been learning how sad it is if your external hard drive dies. All my pictures from years ago are gone. Maybe my computer guru will be able to save it. This happened sometime ago but today while I was searching for old Halloween pictures the lesson came up again. Boo! Hoo! I did what I was supposed to do. Backed them up. And it failed!!






WHAT I 'M CREATING...

I'm working on my weekly menu. Running a bit late but there will be re-runs from last week that we didn't have. For one reason or another meals get changed. I'm also going to be figuring out what to do with a bushel of good, crisp, Gala apples. So yummy!


WHAT I'M READING....


I'm reading Behind The Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo. I'm listening to Ordinary People by Judith Guest. 


WHAT I'M WATCHING...


Currently I am watching The Chew's Halloween special. Great costumes today. Carla makes the best Steve Urkle. Do you watch The Chew ?



WHAT I'M HEARING...


I'm listening to Mario (dressed as Archie Bunker). Hilarious!!



Pictures I want to share...


My house in 2009

The kids their last Halloween to trick or treat

Justin 2011

Richard 2011



WHAT I'M DRINKING....


Enjoying my second cup of French vanilla laced coffee. 




WHAT'S HAPPENING IN THE KITCHEN...


Monday...Hawaiian Burgers from The Pioneer Woman

Tuesday... BOGO at Braum's 

Wednesday...Bacon & Eggs with toast

Thursday...Baked Chicken with roasted sweet potatoes

Friday...Soup (haven't decided what kind yet)

Saturday...Honey Lime Chicken Tacos

Sunday...Roast with potatoes and carrots


A QUOTE I WANT TO SHARE...














A peek into my week...


I don't really have any plans for this week. Darian has an appointment with optometrist on Wednesday and that is about it! Let's hear a Yay for a quiet week!!




A final thought...

The week before the election. Much to think about! Have you decided yet? Happy Halloween everyone. I will snuggle in and watch Dancing With The Stars. What are your plans?

30 comments:

  1. Around here the kiddos all remain dressed up for the school day. Well, so far. We just finished 4th period, and a couple students are saying they'll probably change out of their costumes at lunch. We'll see. (Nothing quite like subbing at a middle school on Halloween.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad they let them stay in their costumes all day. Many kids look forward to this!

      Delete
  2. I have decided who I'm voting for :) I'll be glad when it is over!

    Such cute pictures of previous Halloweens. So sorry about the hard drive, always a nightmare when that happens!

    I do remember trick or treating with pillow cases, so much fun! Wondering how many trick/treaters we will get tonight as it is our first year here.

    I hope you do a book review about Behind the Beautiful Flowers. I was going to purchase it, but didn't want to pay the price Amazon wanted unless I was 100% absolutely sure I would like it.

    Happy Halloween!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far it is hard to get into Behind the Beautiful Forevers. I got it on sale some time ago. Happy Halloween to you as well!

      Delete
  3. I will get the door, hand out treats and take photos. Later I will watch DWTS, it is on the DVR. We have 50 degrees which is awesome for Oct 31, but it is raining and I hope it stops soon.
    Yes I have decided on who I will vote for. I look at the candidates and their platform and vote from there. Big things to me are Veterans and how they are treated, economy and taxes, along with views on Abortion. Trump gets my vote. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look at all those things too. Trump has many of my issues but I just can't take a chance on him with his thin skin! And his nasty, snarky mouth. But I respect your views. I won'd know which way I go until I'm in the booth with the curtain closed. I don't believe either one of their platforms. I don't own a DVR so I will watch DWTS as it happens

      Delete
  4. Wow! Look at all those bales of hay in the 2009 photo! I bought one once and it rained on Halloween, soaked the bale, then the temp dipped and the bale was frozen for the entire winter. The kiddos look so cute in their costumes for their last trick-or-treating. Sure hope you can retrieve your lost photos somehow. Fingers crossed! My plans for tonight are a burrito al pastor to go, and Monday Night Football under a quilt on the couch. The wind is cold today and no sun. Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My soaked bales of hay have been known to grow wheat!! Thanks for the comments on my kiddos. I miss those days. Happy Halloween to you!!

      Delete
  5. I voted a few weeks ago. Now I wait. Only had ten trick or treaters. Looking forward to 74 degrees tomorrow. Happy Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is gorgeous here for November 1. No trick or treaters at my house. Just the way I like it!!

      Delete
  6. Cool pictures, Paula! Your little "witchy" hands look so demure in that image (with your siblings)!
    ... and all those hay bales and pumpkins' tableau. What a labor of love!
    We just ran out of candy and shut the garage door a few minutes ago ... there must have been more than a 100 trick-or-treaters coming visiting. So dang cute!

    Praying that someone is able to restore your photo library! Yes, I've my absentee ballot ready to go in the mail first thing tomorrow. I'm not sure my cuticles can stand another 8-9 days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Ha! Demure!! WOW you had a group of trick or treaters didn't you? Nope, he can't save the photos. I will have to whine for it a few days and then move on! I think we will wait to go to the actual voting place since it is Darian's first time. He is so gleeful that he will be canceling out my vote!! Just like his Papa

      Delete
  7. Hi Paula - yay vanilla in your coffee! Lovely photos and snippets of earlier times .. it is warm here too (well for us) - the cold comes tonight/tomorrow ... more November weather.

    Have a good rest of the week ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will start to get cooler too I expect. But not today!!

      Delete
  8. Had another large turn out for the spook house, guessing between 300-500. Went through 18 large Tupperware bowls of candy, and not everyone took it. Fun watch the little kids open their bags and say trick or treat, and southern kids all said thank you. Little ones took the spook house in stride, but parents and larges girl screamed bloody murder. Trick or treating here is only allowed between to 6 to 8 PM and all seem to obey the rules. We had 5-6 live actors this year and 2 hours of no breaks. Until next year when my daughter and son in law builds a new haunted house

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way too big of a crowd for me. But glad you had fun!

      Delete
  9. Awesome! Loved the pictures. Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YAY!!! YAY for a quiet week!!!! I am trying to find a quiet hour to blog again, but that has proven to be difficult! 70 degrees?? I will take that, I wish I could come and visit and enjoy that weather ( and hanging out with you!!) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. PS....I really, really hope your computer guru can restore your hard drive and photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Before we moved overseas, I saved all my digital pictures to a flash drive. Now, my husband, who has Amazon Prime, has added me to a "family vault" feature, so my phone pictures automatically upload to the cloud. It's free with Amazon Prime, and unlimited. Might be a good way to save digital images for the future!

    I haven't really done Halloween in a long time. Partly happenstance, I haven't lived on a major street kids frequent, and finally, when we were in the city, it snowed. Go figure. Now, in China, being American, everyone expects us to participate in their Halloween parties. I have no opinion. I can't change my race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I should do this. Right now I have Google Photos but I don't know if they save them forever!

      Delete
  13. I watched DWTS too since I didn't have any beggars :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was a good show that night! I wasn't at all upset that Ryan went home

      Delete
  14. I lived in Kansas (Wichita) many years ago. I remember sunshine even in the winter - something we don't get much of here (upstate New York) in November. Except for the fall color, it can get dreary. Thanksgiving? Ours are small, and turkey is a must.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am only 50 miles from Wichita, in Hutchinson. We do have a lot of sunshine here! Happy to have you stop in today

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!