Friday, September 2, 2016

You Will Know Me-A book review

Overview From Barnes and Noble 


How far will you go to achieve a dream? That's the question a celebrated coach poses to Katie and Eric Knox after he sees their daughter Devon, a gymnastics prodigy and Olympic hopeful, compete. For the Knoxes there are no limits—until a violent death rocks their close-knit gymnastics community and everything they have worked so hard for is suddenly at risk.
As rumors swirl among the other parents, Katie tries frantically to hold her family together while also finding herself irresistibly drawn to the crime itself. What she uncovers—about her daughter's fears, her own marriage, and herself—forces Katie to consider whether there's any price she isn't willing to pay to achieve Devon's dream.
From a writer with "exceptional gifts for making nerves jangle and skin crawl" (Janet Maslin),You Will Know Me is a breathless rollercoaster of a novel about the desperate limits of parental sacrifice, furtive desire, and the staggering force of ambition.

Another book review so soon!! Now you know why I am not getting anything done around the house.....

This was a good book. Do you know how I can tell? I zipped through it in just a couple of days. That tells me what I think is a good book. Unless of course it is 700 pages and I have to put it down in order to eat, sleep, and live my life. I like mysteries. Although, I don't know if this really fits as a mystery.

The story is about Davon, a young girl who has an Olympic dream. And how her family gave up their entire life to help her achieve it. I am glad I read it after the Olympics. Otherwise, I would have looked at every gymnast and wondered, "did they go through this in order to achieve their dream?" It doesn't paint a very pretty picture of what people will do to make their children succeed. And, I have to wonder how many athletes are only going through this intense training to please their parents. I can't imagine a kid really wants to train for 6-8 hours a day just to win a gold medal.

I liked the book. It gets 4 stars from me. ****

  

20 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting! I like a good book that is hard to put down like that. I wondered too about the intense training for the Olympics, but then if you win one, you may be solicited by companies for endorsements, advertising, etc. and there could be big bucks made. Maybe that is a motivation?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there are many young athletes that are pushing themselves for the money!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. This was my first read of this author. I will check out her other books

      Delete
  3. Here, I assumed(!) it was only the Russians and eastern European athletes compelled to train that hard. Sounds good!

    PS - Thanks for coaxing me out of my 'comfort zone' to explore different authors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is more parents in this country than the government, Myra!

      Delete
  4. Yeah, you've got to wonder how badly they want it. Of course, those that make it to the highest levels have to want it on some level. Otherwise, they wouldn't get that good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a book I would like to read! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did a post years ago with a picture of myself and an Olympic Gold Medal winner. I worked with her brother. She loved every minute of what she did. But I once saw a documentary on an athlete and it was the parent dragging them out at 5:00 AM to skate. I could never do that to my children. Cause I'd still be sleeping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Me too Denise. I am just not that dedicated of a parent, I guess.

      Delete
  7. I think it is a fine line between supporting your child's dreams and pressuring them to accomplish what you think should be their dreams. I'm glad none of my kids were gifted with olympic abilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I wouldn't have hated having to taxi them to all the practices. Not to mention the costs

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a good book and I admire your talent for book reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice review and sounds like it highlights some of the bad practices that I'm sure go on with olympic athletes. I'm sure some are self motivated but not all.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!