Wednesday, September 21, 2016

The Sea of Tranquility-A Book Review

Overview From Barnes and Noble

School Library Journal Best Book of 2013
An ALA/YALSA Alex Award Winner
I live in a world without magic or miracles. A place where there are no clairvoyants or shapeshifters, no angels or superhuman boys to save you. A place where people die and music disintegrates and things suck. I am pressed so hard against the earth by the weight of reality that some days I wonder how I am still able to lift my feet to walk.
Two and a half years after an unspeakable tragedy left her a shadow of the girl she once was, Nastya Kashnikov moves to a new town determined to keep her dark past hidden and hold everyone at a distance. But her plans only last so long before she finds herself inexplicably drawn to the one person as isolated as herself: Josh Bennett.
Josh’s story is no secret. Every person he loves has been taken from his life until, at seventeen years old, there is no one left. When your name is synonymous with death, everyone tends to give you your space. Everyone except Nastya who won’t go away until she’s insinuated herself into every aspect of his life. But as the undeniable pull between them intensifies, he starts to wonder if he will ever learn the secrets she’s been hiding—or if he even wants to.
The Sea of Tranquility is a rich, intense, and brilliantly imagined story about a lonely boy, an emotionally fragile girl, and the mira­cle of second chances.


One thing about not feeling good is I get a lot of reading done. This book blew me away. It is called a young adult book and the main characters are high school kids. But the characters are so well developed by the author that you will never forget them. 

I fell in love with Nastya on page 7 when she said, "I'd rather be alone that have to pretend I am okay." I totally get that emotion. And Nastya has been through a lot. For a big share of the story we do not know what happened to her. It's just hinted at. We know it's bad though. 

And poor Josh! Everyone around him has died. First his mom and sister when he was a young boy and then followed by his father, who had a heart attack. Next his grandma dies of cancer. Now, his grandpa helps him become emancipated just before grandpa is put into a nursing home,dying himself. Josh states, "I wonder if every time someone dies you start counting how much time has passed. First you count in minutes, then in hours. You count in days, then weeks, then months. Then one day you realize that you aren't counting anymore, and you don't even know when you stopped." Chilling words!! Made me cry!

The author's words at the very end of this incredible book were: "Life is short and TBR lists are long. I know that time is precious, and I thank you for spending your with this book." This book is worth spending time with. It is a story of hate, love, fear, death, redemption and second chances. Read this book!! You won't be sorry.

Five stars ***** I won't forget Nastya or Josh! 

14 comments:

  1. Ugh!! Sounds good!! And you know by my latest post about my TBR list. But this sounds really, really, really good!! Might just have to......

    Hope you feel better soon!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Betty! Too many books, too little time!

      Delete
  2. Hello my back fence friend! Glad you are finding good reads, but sorry that you are still not feeling well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both of these characters' quotes; but the author's sincere 'thank you' just blew me away. What a nice thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds deep. Sorry you haven't been feeling well. I hope that's turning around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not that deep. But is a good book!

      Delete
  5. I loved loved loved loved this book!!! So glad you did, too! Hope you're recovering soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for giving it 5 stars on Goodreads. That's what made me want to read it!

      Delete
  6. Argh by TBR list just gets longer when I read good reviews. Hope you're feeling better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy! I know what you mean about the TBR lists

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!