Tuesday, August 16, 2016

The Night Circus-A Book Review

Overview From Barnes & Noble

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER 
The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night.
But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway: a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them both, this is a game in which only one can be left standing. Despite the high stakes, Celia and Marco soon tumble headfirst into love, setting off a domino effect of dangerous consequences, and leaving the lives of everyone, from the performers to the patrons, hanging in the balance.


I read this book as part of the book club I am part of at Paper & Glam. It probably wouldn't have found it's way to my Nook otherwise. But, I enjoyed it. Was a good story.

The story is a well-told, gentle, love story. Love is really not the center of the story. The backdrop is a magical circus that is only open at night. It appears and disappears as if by magic. Marco and Celia are pitted against one another in a game that can only be won by one of them dying. The magic of this book is in the descriptions of the different areas of the circus. How I would love to visit such a circus. I give the book a solid 3 stars***. It is a good book!

12 comments:

  1. Hadn't heard of it. Sounds good though. I'm weeding (or reading, LOL) through all the books I downloaded on my tablet; got to get those read before I get any more, but might put this on my to be read after I finish all the other books list :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear that Betty! I have so many on my Nook I don't think I will ever read all of them!!

      Delete
  2. This trip is a God send for getting reading done. Between listening to them with Frank and reading them when he needs a break I am going gang busters LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good Wendy! We will be seeing lots of reviews on your blog then??

      Delete
  3. Sounds different. Different can be good. I've always been a sucker for some fantastical elements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It most certainly has fantastical elements!

      Delete
  4. I was looking at this on Goodreads the other day, so I appreciate hearing your impressions. I'm putting this on the 'maybe someday' pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a decent book. Not one I would want to read again. But I enjoyed it!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a good book. Alas, I too, have wayyy too many books on my Kindle and on my 'want to read' list. I've been reading a lot this summer, but still have so many to read. Thanks for sharing your thoughts-- I hadn't heard of this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't have heard of it either if not for the book club!

      Delete
  6. I hadn't read anything like it before, such a creative book!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!