Tuesday, August 30, 2016

The Great Gatsby-A Book Review

Overview From Barnes and Noble

The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald’s third book, stands as the supreme achievement of his career. This exemplary novel of the Jazz Age has been acclaimed by generations of readers.
The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald’s third book, stands as the supreme achievement of his career. This exemplary novel of the Jazz Age has been acclaimed by generations of readers. The story of the fabulously wealthy Jay Gatsby and his love for the beautiful Daisy Buchanan, of lavish parties on Long Island at a time when The New York Times noted “gin was the national drink and sex the national obsession,” it is an exquisitely crafted tale of America in the 1920s.
The Great Gatsby is one of the great classics of twentieth-century literature.


I know that I read this book in college. I remember talking about it over and over and over. I remember discussing all the symbolism, all the compare and contrast, and the other types of things that English professors like to put you through. BUT, I don't remember the story. AT ALL!! Maybe I didn't read it. Maybe I just pretended to read it. Hell I don't know. But I do know that I haven't read this book before.

Why this book is part of the 'great classics' of our lifetime is beyond me. I liked the story. I didn't find it to be one of those stories I will forever remember. It just didn't make it for me. 

It is a tragic story of love and wealth. And the Jazz age. Partying and doing nothing much else. 

Our book club will discuss this book later in September. I an anxious to see what others think. I know it is "My favorite book" for one of the ladies. 

What do you guys think? Have your read the book?

I'm giving it 3 stars. *** 

23 comments:

  1. As far as I know I have not read the book or seen the movie. But if you gave it three stars I guess I will pass. Goodnight Gram may have read it...I wonder what her opinion is? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure she will let us know! LOL! It was short. That is what kept me going!

      Delete
  2. I read it in high school so many years ago. For the life of me, I can barely recall it, but didn't Robert Redford star in the movie? I think son read it in high school too, but I'm thinking he really didn't read too much of it, probably skimmed by as much as he could.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sons and my grandson read it in high school too. My granddaughter will read it later this year. I can't imagine that she will like it though!

      Delete
  3. No, I think I just watched the movie.
    ... and even that didn't leave a particularly great impression.

    I wonder what, exactly, defines a 'classic.' And who decides?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, Myra. I am going to research that!!

      Delete
  4. I read it in high school. Meh. I've reread bits since as a sub in various classes. I understand it better now, but it still doesn't suck me in. I just don't like the main characters. They bug me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't like ANY of the characters, Liz. Maybe that is why I wasn't sucked in!

      Delete
  5. Sounds great! I am thinking to read them when i get time. I am not very interested to read books...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too bad. Reading books is my escape!

      Delete
  6. I have found your comments to be true of a number of 'classics.' I have not read this book but some classics I have read have left me feeling exactly the same way. I think it is more than just the style of writing that changes over time. It is more like the style of story telling is different - stories of today seem to be closer to the reality of everyday life today - and often are a bit 'over the top' which can be very gripping. Classics often seem tame to me. But when they were written life was different.

    There are a few stand outs for me in the classics world. Gone with the Wind - is still a very good story. So is Jane Eyre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Jane Eyre. But I do agree with Gone With the Wind being a very good story. Classics do seem tame, don't they?

      Delete
  7. I never read the book, but I tried to watch two different versions of the movie and couldn't make it through either one. Yawn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The consideration of The Great Gatsby as a great American novel comes from its accurate portrayal of life in America at a specific time or in a specific era, much like John Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath, Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird, J. D. Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye, Mark Twain's Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, or John Updike's Rabbit series beginning with Rabbit, Run. It's the portrayal of life in America, good, bad, difficult, successful. For The Great Gasby, is was aspiration, struggle, wealth and the disintegration of the American dream and the very real decal of social and moral values during the 1920s... the roaring 20s. We don't have to like the characters, what they do, or the era in order for the novel to give us insight our past as a country. Having said all this, The Great Gatsby is not my favorite work by Fitzgerald. I am a rather conservative person and the roaring twenties is not my favorite era. I preferred his short story The Ice Palace...but what can I say? I live in the city of the St. Paul Winter Carnival and the ice castles that have been built here over the city's history. The thing about literature is that you get to decide if you liked what you read or not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *decal was supposed to be decline.

      Delete
    2. Well, since I didn't live in the roaring 20's I'll just have to take the word of others that it was an accurate portrayal. I haven't read Ice Palace either. I will check it out! This just didn't grab me like Gone With the Wind did...which I can see why it is a classic.

      Delete
  9. I'm with you. It was an okay book and the only thing good about the movie was Robert Redford LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh la la. Love me some Robert Redford!!

      Delete
  10. Well I managed to read it but can't say it left a lasting impression.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Paula - I tried to read it recently and didn't enjoy it ... so left it - also the film didn't entice me - so can't help ... sorry! It'll be interesting to see what the book club come up with - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see what the book club has to say either Hilary!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!