Wednesday, August 24, 2016

The End of Summer Hodgepodge

Sometimes we just need a little hodgepodge in our lives. Today is one of those days. On Wednesday, Joyce at From This Side of the Pond will pose a series of prompts on her blog. We paste them into our blog and then link with her and the other amazing people who post theirs, as well. Come on and join us. I know you want to!


1. It's National Waffle Day (August 24th)...what decision are you currently 'waffling over'? (or share one you've recently 'waffled over')

I would rather think of waffles to eat! Wouldn't you. I am not really a big lover of waffles but once in awhile, with hot maple syrup, it is good. Now on to the question. I seem to waffle over all decisions anymore. Maybe that is part of the adjustment to being a widow. Richard used to help with decisions. And I don't like making the major ones alone. Get it??


2. It's the middle of August, but I'm already seeing lots of autumn-related posts. Do you think we rush the seasons? If so, does that bother you? I saw (here) an end of summer bucket list that included-

make s'mores, read a new (or favorite) book in the park, eat something delicious and bad for you at a state fair, be a tourist for the day, have a pot luck picnic, book a last minute summer getaway, relax by or in the pool, take a hike to watch the sunset, have a day on the lake, try a new summer recipe

Which activities on the list might you squeeze in before summer officially comes to a close? 

I don't like the rushing of seasons either. It is a RETAIL THING. I was in Hobby Lobby and they are rushing Christmas. They even had a Christmas tree decorated with fall decor. I don't even begin to think of fall until September. But then that is like next week!! Our Kansas State Fair starts here on September 9th. I don't know if I will go this year. But there is a possibility. The kids & I still want to get in a "summer picnic". Will have to be on the weekend now that Harley has started back to school. And when the air turns "crisp" we will light a fire in the pit out back and make some s'mores. That will probably be about it for this house!!


3. Your favorite summertime 'art' found in nature?

My favorite summer art is found in the sky. I love the clouds. Especially storm clouds. As long as there isn't a tornado brewing in one of them. And sunsets. Who doesn't love a good sunset. Kansas has some amazing sunsets. Probably sunrises, too, but I don't get up that early. 

Clouds near the grain elevator

Sun setting behind the "Lucky Tree"

Storm clouds from last week
With the sun setting


4. Stephen R. Covey is quoted as saying 'We judge ourselves by our intentions, and others by their actions.' Agree or no? Do you define yourself based on your intentions, your actions, or something else?

I think I am a far harsher judge of myself. I usually judge, not by my intentions, but by my actions. I have lots of "good intentions" but many never come to fruition.So that makes my judgment of myself much harder.It is very true that we are quick to judge others. Whether by their actions, words, or something else. We are a very judgment society. Don't you think?
   

5. Are you useful in a crisis? Elaborate.

I handle crisis very well. Unless it involves a loved one. I am an RN and I have had to handle many crisis in my career. When something bad happened I just let my training take over. I always knew what to do. But if that crisis involves one of my loved ones it is very hard to step back and look at it with a trained eye. Hard to make those life and death decisions.

6. What's been your go-to dish this summer? Is it something you'll continue making as the seasons change?

Our go-to meal in the summer months is sandwiches. BLT's! Ham and cheese with sliced tomatoes and lettuce. Hamburgers on the grill. Anything between two slices of bread. Yes, we will continue to eat them even when the temperatures turn cold. Just add a hot cup of soup!




7. Adult coloring books are a thing now. Have you jumped on the bandwagon? If not is this something you think you might enjoy?

I am very much into adult coloring. I have a couple of coloring books. And I like to print pictures off the Internet. I especially like coloring 'tangles'. There are some awesome ones out there.



A recent coloring page.
I did this one with gel pens.
Usually used colored pencils


8.  Insert your own random thought here. 


First Day of her Junior year in High School



37 comments:

  1. What makes your tree "Lucky"? Is it because it has not been struck by lightning? ALways a hazard when a tree stands alone in an open field...I love the photo of your Granddaughter (daughter?). Very pretty girl. Have a great week!
    Cheers!
    Lori in Blue Ridge, GA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been called the lucky tree for as long as I can remember. You are supposed to honk (once for each person in the car) as you drive by "for luck". We've been honking at this tree for years! Yes, she is my granddaughter! And thank you!

      Delete
    2. We need a lucky tree here in GA...I can use all the luck I can get! :)

      Delete
    3. You can select one and start the story! See if it catches on!!

      Delete
  2. I bought colored pencils because I thought they were so pretty, but am thinking of switching to makers. The pencils make my hand tired and I've heard people say the markers are less so. I love the picture of the sunset behind the tree! I'm a little obsessed with a beautiful sky in all it's many forms. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go between pencils and gel pens. I would love to buy a larger variety of gel pens! Or nice markers that don't bleed through the page!

      Delete
  3. I lost my husband in January of last year and I completely understand what you are talking about. It's hard after so many years of making decisions together, to having to make them alone. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry for your loss Vicki! It is hard. Very hard! Take your time with your grieving. People will try to rush you though it!

      Delete
  4. I love that "lucky" tree....trees are where I find art in nature...especially dead trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I love the silhouettes of dead trees too!

      Delete
  5. I'm waffling now (or will be soon) on what type of new couch to get...
    I do think the stores rush the seasons too much - and it gets worse every year! And I really dislike it!!
    I'm with you on the sky and the clouds as art. that and trees - especially trees in the fall and winter.
    I was coloring for awhile and enjoyed it - but I just couldn't find a coloring book that I could settle into - they all annoyed me for some reason or other. I am still on the look-out for that "perfect one"....

    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how I want a new couch and love seat for my living room. It will not happen this year anyway. It does seem the stores get stuff out earlier every year. Have you tried looking at pictures on-line to print and color. I do that a lot.

      Delete
  6. Those photographs are awesome! I especially love the one of the Lucky Tree. That is absolutely beautiful. :)

    I understand that it would be difficult to make decisions alone after so many years of having someone to share the decision-making process. Maybe it will take awhile, but I am sure that you'll get to a point of being comfortable making decisions on your own. You're in my prayers.

    I agree that it is a very judgmental society. Some judgments we need to make, like whether the other driver is going to obey the traffic laws, so that we can react accordingly. Others maybe we shouldn't make, but sometimes it is difficult not to judge. I judge myself harshly, and often others, too. I try not to, but it happens, especially if they are making things difficult for me.

    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliments of the photos. I am sure I will be okay with making decisions on my own. It was just nice to have someone to bounce them off of. I judge all harshly. I should work on being nicer :)

      Delete
  7. Harley's becoming such a beauty!

    I totally agree with your feelings about Mr. Covey's quote, and yes ... like so many, I can't help but judge others. (Bad, bad Myra.) At the same time, I'm my own worst critic.

    Weird, but after being alone for so many years I have trouble consulting DH or anyone else before making a decision.

    Seems like you published your 2015 summer picnic photos just last week! Time is flying far too quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Myra. I'm told she looks like her granny!! LOL! I think all of us judge other people. I just need to learn to keep my opinions to myself!! Yes, it does seem like we just went on that picnic, doesn't it??

      Delete
  8. I don't mind the rushing of the seasons at the craft store. It's time to start Christmas knitting now if I want to get any done. Otherwise, I'm frantically trying to finish something a week before... Nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the rushing of the seasons in the craft stores is okay. It takes time to make those seasonal crafts. But when they have Halloween stuff out in July and I wait to buy in September and it's already picked over that is when it makes me mad. I really don't buy much in the way of seasonal anymore

      Delete
  9. I am so happy to see those shorts! Laura came home in a pair that short this week (I'm not up when she leaves at 6:20!), and I casually inquired if they met dress code. "Oh, yes, they have a 2" inseam. If they didn't, school would call you to bring me more clothes--or take me home." They don't meet my dress code, which is fingertip length, but I have better battles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm right there with you Joanne. I think they are way too short. But they do fit into the dress code. I have bigger battles too. And this one is hard to fight because longer shorts are hard to find.

      Delete
  10. Yes, as a nurse, I would imagine you handle crisis situations very well, as you've had years of practice.
    Your granddaughter is beautiful. She'll be grown and gone before you know it!
    Kathy (from Reflections by Kathy)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool outfit for Harley's first day of school! I like the simplicity of your "go to" food with the hamburgers/sandwiches. I think I might have to do that especially on those crazy work nights.

    I better not see a Christmas tree any time soon at Wal-Mart LOL. I thought at the end of September was too early last year!


    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betty! Those rompers the girls are wearing are cute. The granny in me wishes it were longer. LOL

      Delete
  12. Hi Paula - she looks happy as she steps out ... and that's a great thing to see - you must be so proud of them. My go to food - is usually salmon, spinach and now corn (off the cob) ... such a great and tasty meal ... perhaps with couscous or some potato ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your go-to foods sound amazing. Thanks for the compliments to Harley!

      Delete
  13. The seasons rush by fast enough by themselves but the stores rush them even more. You have to shop almost a season ahead for whatever you might need it seems. After a hot summer, most do long for the cooler days of fall. But for me fall begins when the kids go back to school. Most of my grandchildren have but some will wait till next week. Labor Day will be my official day to celebrate the end of summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a season ahead. And that ticks me off. Labor Day will be here soon!

      Delete
  14. I'm waffling over what colors to pick for the interior of our house. I could paint a whole wall with patches of sample paints colors. I thought I would enjoy adult coloring, but I stress out about which colors to use. Hmmm, I sense a theme here :)
    Your random thought says so much. Junior in high school. WOW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could afford to have someone come in and paint the inside of my house I would love to make all the rooms pretty neutral. Like a light grey or a beige.

      Delete
  15. I am waffling over having a end of summer garage sale. I like to do tangles as in draw them it is very interesting to learn how to draw them.
    Cute romper that your Grand is wearing ...if you have great legs show them off:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to do a garage sale this summer too. Maybe in the early fall. I guess I'm waffling too! LOL!

      Delete
  16. Harley is so dang cute!!
    Christmas is just too early in July which is when i saw it many stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Holli. And yes, Christmas in July is TOO early for me too!

      Delete
  17. ((Hugs))
    I worked retail at Hallmark and we had no choice. Shelves are always waiting to be filled for the next Holiday. I'm glad your coloring.....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Playing catch up here after being away with rubbish wifi! It's way to early to think about Christmas lol (Although I have a crafting project on the go which is intended for Christmas - at this rate it will be ready for 2017.) Your granddaughter looks lovely in that photo. I get that the decision making must be hard for you but you seem to be doing a pretty good job!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!