Monday, August 1, 2016

MY Life List-August 1 Edition

LOOKING OUT MY WINDOW....

Looking out my front window I am watching an enormous cottonwood tree being removed from the neighbors yard across the street. It is hot outside. 97 degrees with a Real Feel of 104 degrees. No air moving. Humidity 41%. A really hot first day of August!


AS I PONDER.... 

I am not pondering much today. Last week Harley complained of a sore, scratchy throat. On Friday my throat was sore. On Saturday I started having a sinus headache. And yesterday and today I am suffering the symptoms of a full blown summer cold. So, I feel like poop. If you know what I mean!


WHAT I AM LEARNING...

I am learning that the older I get the more I am affected by something as simple as a cold. 


WHAT I 'M CREATING...

Since I felt so crappy over the weekend today I am creating Hawaiian Burgers from The Pioneer Woman for dinner. Darian is at the YMCA and Harley will be going to work. So we will eat early today. They look great. I can't smell but I am told they smell great too.




WHAT I'M READING....


I am reading The Night Circus by Erin Morganstern. I am listening to The Boy in the Suitcase by Lene Kaaberbol. Both good books, so far. 


WHAT I'M WATCHING...


I haven't been watching much lately. Re-runs of Law and Order and The Food Network. Both my "go-to's" when I don't have anything else to watch. 

WHAT I'M HEARING...


I am hearing the sounds of chain saws and men shouting from across the street.

WHAT'S ON MY CAMERA...


The tree being taken down today

The lucky tree between Wichita and Hutchinson

A Pokemon in my car

Harley and Paige





WHAT I'M DRINKING....


I'm drinking lots of ice cold bottled water!


WHAT'S HAPPENING IN THE KITCHEN...



Monday...Hawaiian Burgers
Tuesday...Bacon, lettuce & tomato sandwiches
Wednesday..Sausage Breakfast Scramble
Thursday...Crockpot Creamy Chicken & Veggies
Friday...Mexican Macaroni Salad
Saturday...Homemade Pizza
Sunday... Green Bean Soup and Sour Dough Bread


A QUOTE I WANT TO SHARE...












Happenings in my backyard...

Harley and I went to pick Darian up from work last night at 10 p.m. and standing right behind our car was a beautiful deer. She froze and just stared. Until I started the car. Then she bounded off for the bushes between the houses. They come closer and closer every year. 


A peek into my week...

This week is going to be a quiet week. I don't feel good and just driving kids to and from work will be enough for me. Harley works Monday through Thursday. And Darian works on Tuesday and Wednesday so far! Then he has Marine PT on Thursday. And that all! 


A final thought...

What do you think of Zika virus scare? We have it right here in America. It was thought to only be in other countries and now we are finding it here in America. So far it seems the biggest threat is to pregnant women (none of those here in my house) but do you think it will have other outcomes before it is all over? Mosquitoes have always been an insect to fear. I would think they could find a way to combat them. But, nothing so far. 

28 comments:

  1. The Zika news story tonight gave me the chills! I think I'm probably too far north for the mosquito to survive, but--yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite scary, isn't it? But I think you are safe

      Delete
  2. I hate mosquitoes! It is the one bug I will kill! After having Lyme's disease a few years ago, thinking about getting the Zika thingie freaks me out. I'm constantly reading up on the symptoms of it, every time something weird shows up on my arm or leg.... and keeping a watchful eye out for those little varmits so I can whack 'em!

    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not freaked out. But it does cause me to worry some. We will all be wise to be careful!

      Delete
  3. West Nile Virus is a constant threat around my house. The county sprays for mosquitoes, but the national park won't let them spray my township, which is more than ninety percent park. It's not "natural." And visitors can't understand why we despise the park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. West Nile Virus is not something to mess around with either. They have stopped spraying completely in my area. They say that it doesn't help keep the population down! ??? I don't know. It is scary!

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry you have a cold. I think colds in such heat are miserable. Wishing you a quick recovery. What a great photo of the lucky tree. That's amazing. And your quote tugged at my heart. GN is plenty confortable to be ready to leave. Is Darian? I wish I could plan a menu for the entire week. I just don't. GN is out with friends tonight, playing Pokeman in a park, and then staying over at her BFF's house, so the Monday menu got scratched off. 'm a survivor of Lyme disease. I know it's from a tick and not a mosquito, but I am wary of bug-borne illnesses, whether for the one bitten or now, for the unborn children of pregnant women who may be bitten. Feel better, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, colds in the summer heat are the worst. I think! I had a coughing spell today and I thought I was going to die. No kidding!! I couldn't stop coughing, I was peeing my pants, and the sweat was dripping off my head and face and snot running from my nose. Have I painted the perfect picture here! I didn't know that you have had Lyme disease. Scary!! Be careful! I just keep with our menu and if the kids are out and about they can eat when they get home. Which they almost always do. And what they don't eat for a dinner meal they will for lunch the next day. Egads these kids can eat!!

      Delete
  5. Hope you are feeling better soon Paula. Maybe those recurring summer colds are allergies? I get them each year in late May/early June.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it is allergies Wendy! But it could be! The coughing is going to kill me!!

      Delete
  6. Nothing worse that a summer cold, hope you feel better soon! Glad it is a relatively quiet week so you can have some time to rest. Scares me with any type of virus like Zika among so many others. Scary if you are in the areas affected so far and you are expecting. I liked the picture of the lucky tree :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was feeling better today but as the day lengthens I start to feel sick again. I wonder why that happens. I have been sleeping a lot. Yes, those darn mosquitoes are scary!

      Delete
  7. Hi Paula - love the quote ... and well done you in that respect (in so many ways) ... the good luck tree is lovely - the photo even more so! Cheers have a good week - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good quote, isn't it. I hope I am ready to let them soar on their own

      Delete
  8. Yes I too thought your quote was just perfect and so apt for this time in your life - they all look ready to soar :) Hope you get over your cold soon it always seems so darn unfair to catch cold in the summer!! As for the Zika, it was reported here in the UK about it getting to the USA so I think everyone is rather worried. Let's hope that the wonderful scientists come up with a solution soon especially for pregnant women.
    Special Teaching at Pempi’s Palace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Summer colds are the worst. And I would think the scientist will eventually come up with somethng

      Delete
  9. I love the quote you shared. I always felt that my job as a parent was to teach my children how to be able to live as a responsible adults. Mosquitoes surely do cause a lot of problems. Hopefully we'll find a cure for this newest virus they are spreading. Hope you feel better soon. Summer colds are the worst.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is our job to teach them how to live without us. But it is hard to let them do it. I'm sure the virus will soon be a thing of the past. Seems that is how these things go!

      Delete
  10. Sorry to hear you are sick. I suffer with summer allergies so I can feel some of your pain. I live on a branch of a river - nore like a steam here - but it is surrounded by marsh and mosquitos are always a problem. Any disease they carry is scary. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bet you are glad to see the cottonwood go. Two houses ago, we had one due west of us that would feel our yard with cotton ad debris. A huge storm took it out. It is hot here too but not as hot as you have it. Dryness means no mosquitos here, which I am glad because my daughter-in-law is pregnant.

    Hope the cold goes aay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually wonder why they were cutting down the cottonwood. It didn't seem to be having any problems. Almost all of the trees surrounding my house are majestic cottonwoods. We have a lot of flying cotton. Cutting down just one won't make much of a difference in that. I cannot imagine your fear for your daughter-in-law.

      Delete
  12. So sorry to learn you're feeling down n' out, Paula!
    Heretofore, I'd not given the Zika virus much mind. Still, the mosquitos love me. Geesch, everything's becoming so frightening. :(

    Love that photo of that lucky tree! Is there a back-story how it got it's name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a majestic cottonwood that grows by the side of the road between Hutchinson and Wichita. For as many years as I can remember we honk once for each person in the car as we pass by. Everyone does!! This tree even has its own Facebook page. And the public has saved it a time or two from being chopped down. I don't really know how all the honking started. But we do it every time we pass the tree.

      Delete
  13. I hope you are feeling better! Yes the elderly take a longer time to feel better, that and we try to get back to normal before we should.
    I am certain that the Zika Virus will be bad....I think it is really scary for pregnant women. How do you avoid skeeters, we are dive bombed just going across the yard, and Chance brings a few inside with him every time he goes outside.
    That is one pretty tree! We lost a couple old popples, they make such a mess:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am on the mend. Thank you for asking! Very scary for pregnant women. And such a crazy disease! I hate it when a mosquito gets in the house. I think they bite me a thousand times while I'm sleeping!!! Yikes.

      Delete
  14. I hope you're feeling better. Love the photo of Harley and Paige. The pokeman pic is pretty cool too! You know there are so many frightening things today, aren't there? Now it's the Zika virus. I guess you just have to try to be as careful as you can, but sometimes stuff just happens, you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting better. Thank you about the pictures. I love pictures of Paige and Harley. They are almost like sisters and so close! Yes, there will always be something for us to fear. Just part of life, I guess.

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!