Wednesday, August 31, 2016

End of August Hodgepodge

Head over to From This Side of the Pond and grab the questions, answer them on your blog, and link up with a fine group of people doing the Wednesday Hodgepodge:


1.  Are there any men or women in blue on your family tree?


Justin

I am very proud to say that my family tree includes a Deputy Sheriff.  My youngest son!! He has been working in law enforcement since 2000. He loves what he does. And I am proud of him. And I will stand behind our men and women in blue always!!! You can click on this link to read a newspaper article about him and some of his fellow officers. We have so many good police officers in this country that it really pisses me off to see the media focus on the few bad apples out there. 



2. Are you someone who suffers from the Sunday night blues? What helps you get over it?


I do not suffer from the Sunday night blues anymore. What I did to get over it was retire. When you don't have to get up and go to work on Monday there really isn't a reason to feel blue. Every day, now, is like Saturday and Sunday.



3. I read the color blue is an appetite suppressant since there are very few naturally blue foods out there. How do you feel about blue cheese? Love it or blech? If you're a fan, what's something you like that's made with blue cheese?

I love blue cheese. One of our favorite restaurants, in the whole world, The Belvedere, in Canon City, Colorado always served a bowl of blue cheese crumbles with their house salad. We loved it. Sadly, it closed its doors on New Years Eve 2013. Richard and I celebrated many occasions in that restaurant. We took our kids and our grandkids there on vacations. You can click on the name and read the article about the closing. 
 

4. We can't head in to the Labor Day weekend without a related question, can we? Complete this thought: I work best when_I am given plenty of time to think things through and do them the way I want to do them. 




5. 'Everything yields to diligence.' Antiphanes Your thoughts? (on this particular quote or on diligence in general)


I think if you are diligent about anything it will give in to you. The trick is being diligent!



6. The National Park Service turned 100 years old on August 25th. Have you been to many of America's National Parks? If so share with us a favorite or two. Which National Park would you most like to visit before the next birthday rolls around? 


We have visited Yellowstone National Park and Glacier National Park. We went to Yellowstone in the summer with our boys when they were small. It was fascinating to see. My favorite was Old Faithful and all the bison wandering everywhere. We visited Glacier National Park in the winter of 2004. We drove through the park and planned a return visit for pictures on the very day that I broke my leg and ended up in the hospital in Kalispell, Montana. I have no plans to visit any additional National Parks. 

7.  Bid farewell to August in seven words or less.


So long August, see you next year!!


8.  Insert your own random thought here.


Harley and I love to watch Dancing With the Stars. They announced the returning dancers and the celebrities for this coming season. I am furious that they chose to have Ryan Lochte as one of the celebrities. I do not know what they are thinking. I am trying to decide now if we will watch. Or if only one family not watching will make a difference. Maybe he will be the first one voted out. When will our country learn that you don't reward these bad athletes with more attention??

29 comments:

  1. Thank you to your son for his service!

    I would love to see Yellowstone someday...my kids will probably not tolerate the car trip very well (it would be a very tiring 27 hours!) but it would be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great trip for us. But I don't know that my kids appreciated it as much as My husband and I did!

      Delete
  2. I had an interesting National Park encounter today. I stopped in the parking lot to talk to one of our trustees, the one who personifies the bitterness of locals who resent the park, the land it took, the way of life it destroyed.
    As we were chatting, a car pulled into the lot with out of state plates and the window rolled down. It stopped nearest the trustee and asked for directions to the visitor center. He was told there was no visitor center and sent on his way.
    I often give out directions to park locations, and I found this reply over the top in rudeness. I watched which way the car turned. Right and he would have come to the visitor center, left was the way he came. He turned left. I followed him until he pulled into a business in town, and I hopped out to see if I could help him. Of course I could. The visitors were from Denmark, and very grateful for proper directions.
    I ask you, how hard is it to be kind? They came for a vacation; just help them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so sad Joanne. But it seems the way people are now, doesn't it!

      Delete
  3. You should indeed be mighty proud of your son, Justin, and his service to his community keeping it safe :)

    That is sad about Ryan Lochte being one of the celebrities on Dancing with the Stars. I'm sure they are doing it for publicity sake to boost ratings.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure it is for ratings too. But sad the message they are sending!

      Delete
  4. When I saw Ryan whats-his-face on DWTS' tease last night, I'm pretty sure my mouth dropped open. Betty's probably right; I"m thinking the same thing about putting Miley Cyrus as a judge on |The Voice. (Seriously?)

    That restaurant sounds(ed) lovely. My favorite way to consume bleu cheese is to mix it w/ mayo or horse-radish sauce for dipping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a dipping sauce I would love, Myra!!

      Delete
  5. I am a huge blue cheese fan too. I love it melted on my burgers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah blue cheese. One of the many things my SIL is allergic to. I've never cared for it anyway, so no loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too bad! What kind of reaction does she have to it?

      Delete
  7. I hope that things will go well for your son. Our boys have chosen some mama nerve-wracking jobs, but how can we be anything but proud of them?

    I agree with you on #2! Retiring fixes that for sure. :)

    I'm sorry that your favorite restaurant closed, especially since it held so many memories of you and your husband and family together.

    How cool that you've seen Old Faithful! I'd love to see it some day, too.

    Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to see Old Faithful someday too Suzanne!

      Delete
  8. I agree with your statement about Lochte, but I am afraid that most of America eats this stuff up and the network probably figures it will increase its ratings. One of my favorite dishes is pasta with gorgonzola cheese and walnuts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wonder if Lochte was signed up before he embarrassed himself and it's a legal issue. Either way I'm with you in the hope that he gets voted off! Our version starts soon too and I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he may have been but I am sure they could have released him from his contract if they had really wanted to. I think the publicity is what they are after.

      Delete
  10. My brother-in-law was a cop. I am a strong supporter of police. The only thing I wish they'd do better is monitor their own. I understand the 'brotherhood code' - a necessary attitude to have while dealing with the worst of our society - but when it is carried too far - and it covers up individuals who are discovered to not be mature enough to do this demanding job mentally - they need to weed them out. I do feel in some cities the crime is so difficult, the policing of it changes good people. No matter. If a cop gets burned out - they need to do something else.

    Dancing With The Stars - I totally agree! That swimmer needs to go. And since the viewers have the ability to send that message with their votes - you would think that would happen. But don't count on it. Look at some of our elected officials. But I will watch. I love to watch the dancing and I won't let one bad apple color my enjoyment of the rest of the show. Our society is pretty messed up. I live outside Baltimore. The Freddy Gray death while in the hands of the police is a perfect example of how messed up we are. Freddy Gray was NOT a good guy. He was a punk with a long history of breaking the law. But he didn't deserve to die. And he did while in custody (not proven why), BUT the Baltimore community named a youth center after Freddy Gray. They put that kid's name on a building as an honor. GIVE ME A BREAK!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way the country is now makes that brotherhood even tighter, Elaine. Killing cops just because they are cops is such a stupid thing. I don't think there are any more bad cops than there are bad doctors, nurses, teachers, etc. They just get more coverage from the media. Doctors and nurses protect their own too! I'm not counting on the views to vote him out either. I think we live in a country that sides with bad athletes. I cannot believe there is a youth center names for Freddy Gray. How stupid can people be.

      Delete
  11. Yes, I understand how proud you must be of your son. Why deny yourself the fun of watching DWTS because of one contestant? You can always express your opinion by not voting for him :)
    He's probably a lousy dancer anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt we will NOT watch. I may go to the kitchen for a snack when he dances. I am not at all interested in promoting him in any way. So sad!

      Delete
  12. In a way I'm having the end of summer blues here. In another way I'm glad to see it go. It was way too hot and humid for me. You have every right to be proud of that man in blue, your son, in your family! Hope your Labor Day weekend is a wonderful one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand end of summer blues. I love summer. But it was hot and humid this year!

      Delete
  13. Hi Paula - no blues in my family. But blue cheese is good ... blue potatoes too! No doubt better with blue cheese ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  14. Please thank you son from me, he does a great service to his community! That was a wonderful article about many brave men in your area! My Cousin has a son who is a Deputy and I have another cousin who is married to a Sheriff.
    I don't care for Blue Cheese....but it has been a long time since I have had it so maybe I should try it again just incase my taste buds have aged:)
    I used to have Tuesday blues cause I worked Tuesday through Saturday with Sunday and Monday off...but like you I like retirement and hate it when we have to set the alarm.
    DWTS I was sad to see the line up especially with Lochte...I will probably watch but not with great enthusiasm:(

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you from Justin! I won't have any great enthusiasm for Lochte either! Maybe he will be the first to go.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you to your son for his service. Me too, I love Old Faithful and the buffalo's. They just scream America to me!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!