Sunday, August 21, 2016

A Life List-August 22nd Edition

LOOKING OUT MY WINDOW....

Oh my goodness our weather took a change. On Saturday it almost felt like fall. I turned off the A/C and threw open the windows. It was only 73 degrees outside. This morning when I drove the girls to church it was 51 degrees.


AS I PONDER.... 

I am pondering the beginning of another school year. Paige and Harley will both be juniors this year. Paige is also taking a couple of college classes at her local junior college. She has a pretty heavy coarse load. Well, so does Harley. They will be busy this year. 


WHAT I AM LEARNING...


Learning is a constant! We should never stop learning! I remember when I was training new nurses at the hospital and a young nurse would ask: When will I ever know everything I need to know? I always told them: You will never know everything you need to know. You will continue to learn something new everyday. When you stop learning then it is time to stop being a nurse. There is always something new to learn!






WHAT I 'M CREATING...

I've been working on making my planner work better for me. I am keeping track of my To Do lists, the kid's schedules, my meal plan, what shows I am watching, and how many pages I read everyday. So I'm changing up my planner to reflect this!! 


WHAT I'M READING....


I am reading The Great Gatsby by. F. Scott Fitzgerald. I read this book in college and we studied it "ad nauseam". But, I don't remember the story! LOL! It is our September book selection so I am going to read it again. Not too long so it should be a quick read!! 


WHAT I'M WATCHING...


Big Brother is making me crazy. Anyone else?? I am thinking my newest "favorite to hate" is Paul. Also, still watching American Gothic. And watching for the return of my favorite shows this fall. 

WHAT I'M HEARING...


The TV show Brain Dead is on in the background. I haven't watched it this summer. It is just what is on. In fact no one is watching TV right now. Wonder why I just don't turn it off. 

WHAT'S ON MY CAMERA...



Back to school paint party at church


Awesome clouds
Why do they like to paint themselves





Getting new glasses...This is what she picked


My little nurse nick/nack

A trip to Rita's
Peach Mango gelati

First Day of school for Paige
Cute little romper
I don't get the boots???






WHAT I'M DRINKING....


I am enjoying Iced coffee this week!!


WHAT'S HAPPENING IN THE KITCHEN...


Monday...Black Bean & Corn Quesadillas

Tuesday...BOGO@Braum's for Harley & I!

Wednesday..BLT's for Darian & I Harley will eat at church

Thursday...Beef Stroganoff

Friday...Easy Mexican Casserole

Saturday...Bierocks (my mom's recipe)

Sunday...Chicken Florentine (Myra's recipe)



A QUOTE I WANT TO SHARE...









LOOKING FORWARD....







Happenings in my backyard... Not much going on in the backyard.









A peek into my week...


  Monday...Harley FCCLA @ school 8 a.m.

  Tuesday...First Day of School Darian works 10-6 p.m. We are going to eat at Braum's for BOGO Day. California burgers!!

  Wednesday...Today is National Waffle Day! Harley will start again eating with the Youth group at Church

  Thursday...National Banana Split Day!! Darian will be with the Marines. (I think)

  Friday...Darian works again 10-6 p.m.

  Saturday...No plans for the moment

  Sunday...Harley is going to Manhattan (The Little Apple) Kansas for a FCCLA convention that is happening tomorrow!!


A final thought...


The Olympics in Rio were amazing! Unfortunately the behaivor of the U.S. swim team has left a sour taste in my mouth and probably the mouths of many, especially the people of Rio. What a spoiled and entitled acting group of grown-ass men.

From the L.A. Times:


“It’s traumatic to be out late with your friends in a foreign country — with a language barrier — and have a stranger point a gun at you and demand money to let you leave,” Lochte said in his statement, “but regardless of the behavior of anyone else that night, I should have been much more responsible in how I handled myself and for that I am sorry to my teammates, my fans, my fellow competitors, my sponsors and the hosts of this great event.”
Though an International Olympic Committee spokesman called the apology “entirely appropriate,” a crisis management expert in the U.S. questioned whether its tone would sway public sentiment.

“He apologizes but never says what he’s apologizing for,” said Glenn Selig, founder of The Publicity Agency in Tampa, Fla. “You wonder, is he really sorry? He sort of portrays himself as a victim.”

I don't hear an apology here, do you? Did he ever say: "We were wrong for vandalizing the gas station bathroom which in turn caused an armed security guard to make them pay for the damages they created? No, he didn't. Instead he tried to skirt the issue by talking about how traumatic it was for him to "get caught." Did he ever say he should never have lied to the authorities about being robbed at gunpoint? No, he did not. Instead he only says he didn't handle himself very well. No kidding. You disgraced yourself Lochte. And you did it while representing our country! Exactly why so many people have a problem with Americans as tourists. I am ashamed of you and your friends. I hope you are dealt a blow with your sponsors. I think you should be stripped of your medals. It is time for America to make a statement for these spoiled athletes. Rant over!!


24 comments:

  1. I so agree with you - we never quit learning. I've learned something new every day of my life and will never live long enough to learn it all...there is so much out there. Things I thought I knew have changed bringing new ways of thought too. Back to school is so exciting! I have a granddaughter and 2 grandsons that will be juniors too. Hope you have a wonderful new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be an exciting year for them and for us!!

      Delete
  2. I feel sorry for the members of the swim team, they will be remembered for this event and not their achievements in the pool. Poor decisions that will dearly cost. I like Paige's outfit for her first day of school. Very smart looking ., I too seem to learn something new every day,

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel sorry for the members that were NOT involved. Very sad that they went along with him instead of standing up and saying No that is not what happened. I still learn something everyday too, Betty.

      Delete
  3. We had the windows wide open Sunday! Laura picked almost the same glasses. Very sweet on both girls. And, that Lochte is one spoiled brat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, spoiled brat!! The glasses are the style right now, for sure!

      Delete
  4. I don't get the boots either! Mr Lochte should lose his medals...what piece of work. I don't like Paul anymore either...but hope James or Natalie wins:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be okay with either a James or Natalie win!

      Delete
  5. Oh boy! I was cruising along through your post until the end when you wrote about Lochte. He kept saying he 'embellished' or 'exaggerated'. I disagree. Those words soften the deeds too much. What he told were bold faced lies. No pity from me! Hope he gets all his sponsorships pulled! I'm kinda liking the National Banana Split Day, though! Have a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way. Unfortunately I think that is what this generation does. They hide behind the 'softer' words in order to decrease the punishments they may receive. I wish they would strip his medals too! Very disappointed in US athletes who continue to get by with acting this way.

      Delete
  6. Reading Lochte's 'apology' I was jus' going, "Huh!?!" Quite a spin-doctor, that one. :(

    I had to smile at your remark to the junior nurses. Reminds me of what blog friend Rick is fond of saying about Life in general: "Every day is a school day."

    Those clouds in the photo are amazing! You can send some of your cooler temps this way, any day now!

    LMK how you like the Chicken Florentine, OK?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you know Myra. I couldn't find frozen creamed spinach at my store so I am going to make my own from The Pioneer Woman's recipe. I did get those Delmonte tomatoes though!!!!

      Delete
  7. I don't like Paul either, but my husband thinks he's going to be this year's winner, and that he'll take Michelle to the end with him. Ugh. I can't stand to think of it!
    Kathy (Reflections)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yuck! I don't think James is playing a good game (at least it is not obvious to us yet) but I would rather her or Natalie win. I think it will be Victor and Michelle at the end.

      Delete
  8. 51 degrees?!? I'm so jealous...

    It is too early for school to start. Our school year officially begins next week (although one school is open). But other districts have already begun. It won't be long until we've joined the rest of you all, I'm sure. There's talk of starting the school year earlier in the district.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are back into the 80's today! Our school always starts mid-August. But we get out mid-May. Pretty much the way it has always been.

      Delete
  9. Love your Ralph Waldo Emerson quote. I use Good Reads to help me remember what I've read ;)
    I only briefly watched the Olympics (women's swimming and trampoline) this time around but did hear about some of the wins and losses. And disappointing news stories surrounding them. I guess I am a little disillusioned about the Olympics in general because i tend to wonder whether illegal substances were used for the wins.
    Here in BC school starts Sept 6th, after Labour Day. I like it that way! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was a kid we never started school until after Labor Day. I hear exactly what you are saying about the Olympics. And I use Good Reads to keep track too. But even then I sometimes cannot remember what a book was even about after I have read it!

      Delete
  10. So much of your post today is definitely ringing bells for me and I love your little nurse nick-nack - I bet she kept you sane through your nursing days :) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That little nurse was given to me by a good friend who was doing nursing school at the same time I did! She is still special although the friendship turned bad!

      Delete
  11. I love the consistency of your blog titles. That way, when I'm short on time and have to choose just one post to look at, I can pick the summary one!

    School started here at the beginning of August, so I've already gone through the run of people posting "first day" pics. I forget this is the normal time for most US schools! (The school we're going to in Beijing just had graduation.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to keep them consistent. Is it already spring in Beijing??

      Delete
  12. It angers me as well when someone who is representing our country behaves badly and it angers me even more that instead of manning up and taking responsibility they lie about it and make everyone suspicious and scared of the country who was kind enough to host us.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!