Monday, July 25, 2016

The One-in-a-Million Boy-A Book Review

Overview From Barnes and Noble


The incandescent story of a 104-year-old woman and the sweet, strange young boy assigned to help her around the house — a friendship that touches each member of the boy’s unmoored family

For years, guitarist Quinn Porter has been on the road, chasing gig after gig, largely absent to his twice-ex-wife Belle and their odd, Guinness records–obsessed son. When the boy dies suddenly, Quinn seeks forgiveness for his paternal shortcomings by completing the requirements for his son’s unfinished Boy Scout badge.
 
For seven Saturdays, Quinn does yard work for Ona Vitkus, the wily 104-year-old Lithuanian immigrant the boy had visited weekly. Quinn soon discovers that the boy had talked Ona into gunning for the world record for Oldest Licensed Driver — and that’s the least of her secrets. Despite himself, Quinn picks up where the boy left off, forging a friendship with Ona that allows him to know the son he never understood, a boy who was always listening, always learning.
 
The One-in-a-Million Boy is a richly layered novel of hearts broken seemingly beyond repair and then bound by a stunning act of human devotion.

Oh my goodness! I loved this book. I read part of it, but I listened to most of it! I would fall asleep while listening so I had to go back and read to see where I remembered and then rewind to finish listening. I recommend listening if at all possible. The narrator of this book, Chris Ciulla, made it come alive. His accent of the old lady, the voice of the boy, and the dad's voice made it seem like I was watching a movie on the inside of my closed eyes. Very good!

The story starts with an 11 year old boy doing chores for a 104 year old lady. They quickly become friends. He is fascinated with the Guinness Book Of World Records and wants to see her in the book. They decide she should try for 'the oldest licensed driver' when he suddenly dies from a disease that is not often diagnosed until death...long QT syndrome. His father sets out to finish the son's chores for the old lady. Along the way he finds out how much he missed out on by not loving his living son yet falls in love with him after death. And the old woman finds out something, long forgotten, about herself. 

A fantastic book. Along the lines of A Man Called Ove. I loved it! I give it ***** 5 stars. (Check out my star ratings in my left sidebar if you haven't seen it before). Listen to this book if at all possible. Or read it!  And right now it is on sale both on Barnes and Noble and for Kindle.  Only $2.99! And you can add the audible for only $3.99. Not bad for an audible book! You will not be sorry. And grab some Kleenex for along the way!


25 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful book. About doctors ~ if you had the pain I have now or if your eyes were going really, really bad, or if you had type 1 diabetes I think you would make a trip to the appropriate doctor. Since I got a new insulin pump, Medicare requires that I see the diabetes doctor every three months for a year. And the news is not always bad, most the news I have had this year has been excellent and since I didn't get checked at all for all the time Errol was ill, I am so glad to have most of it done. It will not hurt you to discover something bad in time either. My cancer was very small, discovered in time, and I'm still here 17 years later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I do understand about going to the doctor. Thank God I am pretty healthy! Thank you Inger, for giving me a kick in the butt!! That is what friends are for. Right??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting story, might have to buy it. Thanks for the review.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Paula - sounds a great book - I've noted to buy at some stage?! So much to read here first - and always more around ... it does sound brilliant - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has been on my to-read list, and I had it on hold at the library but it came in while I was away so I'm back to waiting. Great to know you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm ordering it on audible right now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it as much as I did!

      Delete
  7. Incandescent? What a great descriptive!
    ... and I really liked your enthusiasm about the audio.

    Making a note to download it tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good deal! I like that word incandescent too!!

      Delete
  8. So happy you liked it! I really enjoyed it too - hated to see it end....

    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you found a winner! Fun to get engrossed in a great book, isn't it? Hope you're having a great Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one was a winner. To me, anyway!
      Hope your Tuesday is a good one too!

      Delete
  10. I've never listened to an audible book. Hmm maybe this will be my first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do much driving, they are great for commutes!

      Delete
  11. I'm listening to the audio as well as reading the ebook. This is not what people from Maine sound like. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG. Without your prompt, I would likely never have chosen to read this book, Paula. 5 Stars, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you liked it Myra!! I thought it was a great read. Just what I needed. Did you read it? Or listen to it?

      Delete
    2. I read it, but will probably go for seconds via audio. Too good for just one time.

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!