Sunday, July 3, 2016

My Fourth of July Life List

LOOKING OUT MY WINDOW....

I am watching fireworks from the back window. Our skies today were grey and we didn't get above 75 degrees. But tomorrow we are going to be in the 80's and with this new rainfall it will be warm and muggy for July 4th. They had 10 inches of rain over by where Justin lives. That means a lot of flooding!!

AS I PONDER....

As I ponder the 4th of July and what this day means to me I came across a piece that Ronald Reagan wrote about what this day meant to him. You can read it here. I do agree that July 4th is almost as important to Americans as Christmas day. When I was a child I remember a few picnics and lots of fireworks. Big fire crackers that were thrown at us girls by the brothers. And those smelly, crazy snakes. I used to love fireworks. Now I am more into watching them. Harley and Darian didn't even want me to buy any this year. So we'll watch and ponder what this day means to us. 

WHAT I AM LEARNING...

I continue to learn all about Psalm One

Psalm 1:2

"but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night."




WHAT I 'M CREATING...

I am really not doing much right now!

WHAT I'M READING....


I am still plodding through Windfallen by Jojo Moyes. But I have finished listening to When I'm Gone by Emily Bleeker. I haven't spent much time reading this past week. I will review When I'm Gone this week. Read it or listen to it, if you can. I enjoyed it! 
It will get a good recommendation by me. This book is now $4.99 for the Kindle, which is a great buy. 

WHAT I'M WATCHING...


We are watching Big Brother three days a week! (What is wrong with us??) We have also been enjoying American Gothic on Wednesday evening on CBS. Other fans of this show out there??

WHAT I'M HEARING...


Boom! Boom! Boom! Firecrackers from the neighbors!!



WHAT'S ON MY CAMERA...


We had a storm last night. Wind gusts of 70 mph. Got some big branches from the locust tree out back and a couple more from the oak tree in front. So we did some clean up work this afternoon. See how thrilled Harley is??

The pile after we cut up the limbs

From the loctus tree

Another

Fell on top of the grill


Another

Folding laundry




WHAT I'M DRINKING....


I am currently enjoying a half glass of Pepsi!


WHAT'S HAPPENING IN THE KITCHEN...


Monday...Chicken Alfredo

Tuesday...BLT's and chips

Wednesday...Chicken Strips & mashed potatoes

Thursday...Spaghetti pie (Harley loved it)

Friday...French Toast & Eggs

Saturday...Homemade Pizza

Sunday...Shepherd's Pie (Darian request)


A QUOTE I WANT TO SHARE...




LOOKING FORWARD....(My 2016 Word)


I am looking forward by looking back today. Richard loved July 4th. He was very patriotic. He cried when the Star Spangled Banner played. And it has been on the radio frequently the past few days. He knew all the words and often quietly sang along. He was very proud of the flag. We fly ours all the time. In fact, we just replaced it with a brand-spanking new one. So here's to my beloved on one of his favorite holidays.

Happenings in my backyard...

See pictures above.

A peek into my week...

A short week. Darian is starting a new job on Tuesday. I think he will have fun at this one and he will like it! Only 4 months to go until he ships to San Diego. He is still running 3 mornings a week and doing Cross-Fit on the other 3 days. He has a Poolee function in Wichita on Saturday. Harley is through with formal basketball practices but she will be shooting baskets and lifting weights twice a week until school start. She is off yet this week from a break in swim lessons but will start back next Monday. So a bit less driving for the taxi driver. 


A final thought...



28 comments:

  1. Cool that Darian is shipping to San Diego :) I hope he likes his new job :) I can't remember when they are in boot camp if they can get letters, etc., from friends and family, but if he can, I'd be so honored to write to him if he is able to receive letters, just need the info when the time comes by. I've written to several people serving; from what I have heard and understand hearing your name called at mail call is an uplifting thing. Of course I write silly things, but would love to write to him if that is a possibility.

    American Gothic looked interesting but we haven't followed it.

    Psalm 1 is a short psalm, but such a dynamic psalm.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I get an address for him I will make sure that you get it. That would be so nice of you to write to him. He (and all the recruits) will need all the encouragement they can get!! It is a dynamic psalm.

      Delete
  2. Happy 4th of July, my friend :) Those branches look rather worryingly close to your house - what a wind to bring them down! Special Teaching at Pempi’s Palace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were very close. But they weren't very heavy so I doubt it would have done much damage even if they had landed on the house.

      Delete
  3. Superb! I finally made a post inspired from yours...check it out
    https://tanvikarnik.blogspot.in/2016/07/monday-musings.html

    Also could you do me a favour, I wanted to know which bloggers you follow as I really want to get more involved in reading and meeting bloggers like us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can click on the names of those who usually comment on my blog. They are the dear friends that I follow! All wonderful women!

      Delete
  4. Sorry about the tree coming down in your yard. I have lost a few over the years to ice damage, but never wind. OTOH my house has been hit twice by lightning. I hope the forecasters are right about rain on Wednesday, but 10 inches is Wa-a-a-ay too much. Happy 4th. (p.s. I hate fireworks)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need time now to dry out. After the rains the humidity is about to do us in. So muggy and uncomfortable outside that I just stay in. And I need to mow the grass. I love fireworks. In the right place. Not next to my house and all night long! Last last night!

      Delete
  5. Wow, that was some storm-70 mph is plenty windy. Cheers to your beloved. Good to remember Richard in happy ways like his love for the 4th of July. I've been listening to different versions of the Star-Spangled Banner. I have a new fav version of it and it was the MN Orchestra's version from when they played one of their concerts in Cuba. It has a good piccolo part. Best wishes to Darian as he starts his new job. Glad you are getting a bit of a break from driving the grands. Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you had a good 4th of July! Is GN working this summer? Has she made plans yet for what is next in her life? How is the reading going? So many questions, so little time. LOL!!

      Delete
  6. Happy 4th of July ! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ma. Ours was good. I hope yours was too!

      Delete
  7. Happy 4th Paula, I saluted Richard this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, 70 mph winds? Thank God your roof or the windows weren't damaged!

    Funny about your brothers 'tormenting' their sisters. I'd totally forgotten about those smelly snakes. July 4 was never a big deal at our house; daddy was enormously patriotic, but was usually at work.

    I enjoyed that article by Ronald Reagan. (So miss that man!) I'm not sure if you've seen this, but a friend re-posted something on FB about our National Anthem's 'back story.' It's a bit long but contains a couple "Wow!" moments of which I was unaware:
    https://www.facebook.com/robert.surgenor.5/videos/10204458888057032/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thank God is right! I can't afford any home repairs. I will check out the link you provided. I love those kinds of stories. Hope your 4th was a good one!

      Delete
  9. Hope you have a happy and safe 4th!! No more storms!!
    We are watching American Gothic this time around - and enjoying it!

    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were storm free Linda but the heat and humidity are killers right now! I am enjoying American Gothic too. Do you think the father was really the silver bell killer??

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. I think about you when we are watching. Any favorites yet??

      Delete
  11. Is Darian going to Camp Pendleton? My grandparents moved to Oceanside in the '80s, so I got a chance to drive by on several occasions. Great area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is in San Diego but I don't think it is actually on Camp Pendleton. Close by however! I am hoping we can be there to see him graduate!!

      Delete
  12. I celebrated with a Diet Coke. I try not to drink Coke/Pepsi, but I thought one would be a fun splurge. I'd be happy to send cards to Darian, too. Appreciate all who serve to protect our country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have cut way, way back on my consumption of pop of any kind. Think that is part of the reason for my 'fat'. I would love to share his address with you, Carol, when he leaves! I would appreciate people helping me to keep his spirits up during this stressful time of boot camp!

      Delete
  13. I used to watch Big Brother. I think I stopped because of all the drama! Right now I'm waiting for Project Runway to start back up. I was surprised to find I really enjoyed that last year - I'm not into fashion at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched a season of Project Runway and enjoyed it. It is the drama I love about Big Brother. Helps to remind me all that I am thankful for in the young people I personally know. LOL!

      Delete
  14. Yes I am watching BB I like Paulie and James, I love the Roadkill they added, they need more stuff like that to keep it interesting:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've a huge fan of James last year. He seems more cocky this year

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!