Tuesday, June 14, 2016

A Fatherly Hodgepodge!

Time to join Joyce From This Side of the Pond for another Hodgepodge. She posts the questions. We supply the answers. Here we go for this week. 






1. If you could sit beside and/or jump in any lake in the whole wide world today, which lake would you choose and why?

My Favorite lake is in the San Isabel National Forrest in Colorado. Lake Isabel. This is where Richard and I were married in 1996. Before that this is where we took the boys on most of our vacations together when they were growing up. There is a family-owned cabin there. Looking across the lake at those pine trees...that is where we were married. 

2. What's your favorite 'fruity' drink? 

My favorite 'fruity' drink always involves a lime. I love Fresh Lime lime-aids. Lime slushes. And oh how I love a Frozen Margarita. Yep, the lime is my favorite fruity drink companion. 



3. I read a list here of thirteen things to do right now to simplify your life. They were-


clean as you go, re-evaluate your relationships (cut toxic ties), unsubscribe (too many blogs and websites), de-clutter, write down your daily goals, reply to emails right away, forget multitasking, create a morning routine, re-evaluate your commitments (which hobbies and responsibilities are most important to you), say no, clean up your computer, and plan your day ahead




Which of the tasks listed do you currently find most helpful in keeping life simple? Which item on the list should you adopt in order to simplify your life this month?


I am a "clean as I go" kind of girl. Especially in the kitchen. My kitchen is so small it would soon be taken over if I didn't clean along the way. I need to clean up my computer again. Get rid of un-wanted emails. Clean up my blog-reading list!


4. What did you do the summer after you graduated from high school? 

The summer after I graduated from high school I was working as a secretary to a man who owned a big shoe store. And planning for my December wedding. Oh, to only live those days over again. And know what I know now!




5. Are you a fan of podcasts? If so what's a favorite?

I do like podcasts. I haven't found many that have become my favorite. I like the Nom Nom Paleo podecast. 

6. Do you think today's fathers have it harder, easier, or just different than fathers in the past?

I think today's fathers have come a long ways from the past. Those fathers used to come home, sit in their chair, and wait for dinner to be served. Or at least that is what I saw I TV. I grew up without a father in our home so I am not really sure what the role of a father was supposed to be. Richard said that his mom used to threaten them with "wait until your Father gets home" so he was always afraid of his father. Today's dads seem to be more involved in the lives of their kids. I think that is a good thing. But I also think that with the 'helicopter' parents of today many kids are not growing up to be as self-sufficient as earlier generations did. 

7. Tell us one way you're like your father? Or not at all like your father if that's easier?

My father was an alcoholic. I am not in anyway like him. My father died when I was only 7 so I am not sure if I even know what traits of his I might or might not possess. 

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

Father's Day is Sunday. I want to wish a Happy Father's Day to all the fathers out there. We are not big into celebrating Mother's Day or Father's Day. These were never big holidays when I was growing up and we never made them special while I was raising my kids. I know they are Hallmark holidays. I am not much for Hallmark holidays. 

Interesting facts I found, however, are:

 1. Mother's Day spending in this country last year was close to $21.2 Billion. Father's Day was $12.7 Billion. 

 2. Most people find buying for mom to be easier than buying for dad.

 3. Dads don't really like those crazy ties you bought him. He's just being nice! Really!

 4. Dad is much happier if you just want to spend time with him. Mom would rather have a gift! Flowers and chocolates will always wow her.

 5. Most kids will tell their dad Happy Father's Day on Sunday. And Dad is okay with that. Dad's don't really expect a gift!




26 comments:

  1. I know what my dad likes, and it isn't ties. Never was. Although, I'm still flummoxed as for what to get him. I'm sure it'll come to me soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get an idea soon. Maybe he would be happy if you just spent time with him!

      Delete
  2. Being a dad has changed. I see it all the time when I look at my sons. They are wonderful fathers! They know what it means to be a good dad, mostly because they had the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine had the best example of a dad too. One of them became a wonderful father. The other.....not so much!

      Delete
  3. Interesting facts you have listed--my sisters and I always bought Dad gorgeous ties, we never went in for the funky, crazy ties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is your dad a wearer of ties? I've known kids who buy dad a tie and he has probably only worn a tie once or twice in his life!!

      Delete
  4. I was like you, Paula, I didn't grow up with a dad, I had to allow my husband to be a dad, LOL. I was so used because of my mom doing everything to do everything myself. I had to step back and let him get involved, LOL.

    We aren't much into celebrating Mother or Father Day either. My mom used to say that moms and dads should be respected and cared for every day of the year, not just one special day. I think I kind of adopted that philosophy.

    I too am a clean up as I go type of person, especially in the kitchen. I like a clean sink; I could never go to bedroom with dishes in it, LOL :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. It was even harder for me to allow Richard to be a dad, because he wasn't their biological dad. He never minded though. And still became their dad! I like a clean sink too, Betty!!

      Delete
  5. I used to be so much like my dad. I have fond memories of long road-trips beginning early in the morning, special ice-cream stops, listening to his stories from high school.

    As he's aged (and had 3 mini-strokes), I see more of our differences. He seems so closed-minded to me now, and I believe the strokes have affected his temperament: he's angry all the time now. I love him, but it makes me sad to see him this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad. And yes, strokes can change your personality! Many people of past generations are more closed minded than this generation is. I am one of those, I am afraid!

      Delete
  6. Wow, I could sit and gaze at that lakeside for hours!

    I'm a 'clean-as-I-go' type, as well. Drives hubby nuts when I'm wiping the counters around him. Then again, the crumbs and dirty utensils he leaves laying around drive ME nuts!

    Personally, I HATE Father's Day, on account Tom's kids are so thoughtless. If one of them even bothered to pick up the phone, it would make his whole day. A few years ago, my granddaughter sent him a F/D card and you'd have thought it was a check for a million dollars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear that Myra. Justin always made Father's Day very special for Richard. Danny, not so much! But Richard used to say...."It's just another day!"

      Delete
  7. I am refusing to acknowledge Fathers Day this year and every year until I can accept him being gone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember seeing your wedding photos before, but I don't recall seeing the lake. It's lovely! Such a beautiful spot for a wedding or just to relax. Thanks for the peek. Just curious....is the family-owned cabin actually in the National Forest or is part of the land near the lake not part of the forest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the lake was right behind us. We were close enough that people who were fishing stopped to watch as we were married! Yes the cabin is in the San Isabel National Forest. Go to Google and type in Lodge at San Isabel. Our cabin sits very near this lodge. Right in the middle of the National Forest area! It was a beautiful site. A rustic cabin. Happy to NOT vacation there anymore. LOL!

      Delete
  9. I recognized the lake from previous posts. I need my morning routine and my calendar to keep my life from chaos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should get me a morning routine. But I doubt I would follow it. So I guess I'll just do what I'm doing now. Which is not much of anything in the mornings LOL

      Delete
  10. You list your wedding lake, I went for our honeymoon lake :). I agree with you on the Hallmark holidays. We shouldn't need that to make our parents feel special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool I'll come see your honeymoon lake!!

      Delete
  11. I love lime drinks too, especially the margarita WITH salt!
    I so remember the summer after high school, except I had a winter and a summer because I graduated a year early and I goofed off and partied for a few months and then started college early. Those were the days!!! Oh how I wish I could go back there. So much fun.

    I'm almost too old to have fun now. :) Just kidding...but it's been awhile...

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't that fond of high school. And by the time I went to college I was married, divorced, and had kids! No partying fun there!! LOL

      Delete
  12. Give me a frozen Margarita anyday! It is my favorite drink especially in the summer! I really like Outshine Bars...they are frozen and the Lime ones are awesome, like a margarita on a stick but only 70 calories. Tangerine is awesome too!
    Simplify my life...what is that and it would probably take too much effort! I try to keep my emails to a minimum..try.
    One day at a time:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day at a time is my motto too! I'll have to look for those bars. Sounds yummy!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!