Sunday, May 8, 2016

Monday's Life List



Looking out my window...

As I sit here at my table, a cup of hot coffee in my hands, I see what is before me. I like admiring my land. Look, there is the beginning of a poem. Maybe I should run with it!

What I am pondering...
This evening I am pondering how much effort I want to put into cleaning house before Darian's graduation party on Saturday. What I have found in the past, as I am sure you have as well, is that I need to clean after too! So maybe a quick pickup and vacuum now and a good cleaning after. What do you think?

I am learning...

This week I am learning Matthew 6:30

  "But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?"




I am creating...

I am working on the weekly menu! Trying to decide how I am going to fade off Whole 30 and back into what kind of normal eating plan we are going to adopt. 

Moving Forward...

Paige took all of Papa's shirts home this weekend. I was finally ready to part with them. I will be excited to see what she creates! She is very creative. She didn't inherit that from me!

What I'm reading...

I am in the final chapters of Gone With The Wind....I have a feeling this is one of those books I won't want to end. I think I have the sequel on my bookcase somewhere. But next I have to get through Blonde as that is the book-club selection for June.

What I'm watching...

I watched the final episode of The Good Wife tonight. It was very good. But the way it ended left a bit to be desired. No real evidence of which man Alicia ended up with. I was all for her staying with Peter. Yes, he's a rat. But he is her husband!!

What I'm hearing...

Right now I am listening to the season finale of Elementary. Not my kind of show. But Darian likes it. And he has gone to bed! Wonder why I am still listening??


What's on my camera...

My first time grilling steaks
Harley took this while he was
getting his senior pictures taken
Justin and Paige on their way over to our house
Paige and Harley helping at Cinco de Mayo
They put make up on little girls!


What I'm drinking...

I am still loving Lemon Water but thinking it is time to start making Sun Tea. Who doesn't love Sun Tea??



What is happening in the kitchen...



Monday...Fried chicken and mashed potatoes

Tuesday...Sausage and eggs

Wednesday...Kids will eat at church

Thursday...Elvis burgers and fries

Friday...Pizza

Saturday...BBQ for Graduation Party

Sunday...Leftovers I am sure!



A quote I want to share with you...




What's happening in my backyard...

I am seeing the iris bloom in the backyard. All the lavender, yellow, and orange ones are so beautiful! Also the most exciting news about my backyard is, on Sunday, one of the beautiful, orange/yellow and black Orioles flew onto the shepherd hook where my jelly feeders usually hang. I was so excited. We immediately ran to the shed and got the jelly feeders and hung them. Then all weekend there were one to two Orioles flying in!!  


Peeking into my week...

Darian only has two days of school left. He and I are going to get things ready for the weekend graduation and party!! Harley has a job interview on Tuesday!! YaY! Darian will be taking his driver's ed test on Wednesday. There will be a graduation practice on Friday and then the big day is Saturday!! He is excited. I am melancholy. I don't remember feeling this way when my boys graduated from high school!!

A Final Thought....

Okay...we are going to call the Whole 30 off. The kids have basically stopped following it 100%. I have done quite well. Until tonight. Mother's Day! We went out for hamburgers and onion rings. I had a Coke. It was way syrupy sweet. But I drank it all. We were going to end it on Friday anyway. But we decided to just quit now. I will still cook healthy. But I am not going to stress. There are a couple other things going on here that is stressful enough and I don't need to deal with eating stress too. I don't own a scale (can you believe that?) so I don't know if I lost any weight but I feel smaller. So I will keep you posted on where we are. And I will keep posting on my other blog Our Adventure into Whole 30 and Beyond.


36 comments:

  1. enjoyed the pictures, and yummy menu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post today. I clean up more after everyone is gone. It's only family and they can deal with some mess. Charlie wandered off into my bedroom yesterday to brush his teeth (lol, he's 2 and can't reach the faucet knobs) and I realized I had not made my bed with the throw pillows. Too bad. I did read the GWTW sequel years ago and remember enjoying it. I quit the Good Wife several seasons back but I am a big Elementary fan. And I too do not own a scale, which made my WW days a nightmare. I stress at every change so I go by my clothes and how I feel. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that it is only family and they can just deal with it!! I didn't start watching the Good Wife until Richard was sick. He wasn't a fan. But I caught up in all the past episodes and it became my favorite show. I wasn't a fan of this entire season though!

      Delete
  3. I'd wait to do the big clean after the party. You do have a busy week ahead. Hope everything goes your way ! Happy Monday !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely insight into what's going on in your world. Hope the graduation celebrations go well and yes - leave the clean up until after!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope all goes well too. Thank you Wendy!

      Delete
  5. I agree, do a "little" clean before the party; vacuum, make sure people can't write their names in the dust on your furniture (LOL) and the bathrooms. How exciting with Darian and graduating! I wonder too if you are feeling a bit melancholy because Richard won't be there to help celebrate and he helped raise him. I admire the effort you did to try the Whole 30; I look forward to seeing where you go afterwards in healthy eating!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't help but feel a bit like I 'failed'. You know that is what the whole media hype is all about. But I will try again. Maybe just not a Whole 30

      Delete
  6. Forgot to say, wishing Harley success with her job interview!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just spiff it up a bit! I remember when I used to clean from top to bottom for any event, but it made my OCD feel better. You will have a busy but fun week.
    I had a real coke on Saturday night...I don't indulge often in soda yes it was sweet! Get out the hankies for Graduation!!
    I don't like tea cold only warm...so sun tea is not for me:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom was only a 'hot tea' drinker!

      Delete
  8. Graduation is bittersweet--excited for their shining future, but sad to see them move on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was really disappointed at the ending of the Good Wife. Well, in most of the show actually. Just felt it left so much to be desired. And I felt so awful for Diane.... (and yes, I know these people are not real - LOL!)


    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Linda. I didn't think they wrapped it up as well as they could have. But I don't know if I felt bad for Diane or not. She was a witch at times.

      Delete
  10. Lovin' the pictures! (I've never tried grilling anything either!)

    Fingers crossed for Harley's upcoming interview! It's been nearly 14 years since my last one, but I SO recall my nerves running amok.
    So excited for Darian! I love everything about graduations ... except, whenever I hear "Pomp & Circumstance" my eyes start overflowing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to say, "Congrats" on the Whole 30 regime. All the 'experts' say the way your clothes fit is the best indicator. Yay, you!

      Delete
    2. Richard always did the grilling at our house. And Justin, when he is here. But I Googled it and did it on my own!! Well, the clothes I have are the ones I want to soon "outgrow" and they aren't too baggy yet!! Thanks for the congrats!!

      Delete
  11. You asked about the cleaning: I say follow Scarlett O'Hara's lead. She was famous for saying "I'll worry about it tomorrow." I live by that credo fairly frequently~ :)
    That's very exciting about the Orioles. I've never seen one up close...or far away for that matter! We don't seem to have very colorful birds here. I hear there are several but they don't seem to hang in the suburbs. The most colorful birds I see here are cardinals and blue jays. I'd love to see others!

    I think I might have some irises growing. I planted them years ago and nothing ever happened. And now all of the sudden I have some plants coming up that I think are the irises I planted all those years ago. We'll see! But it's exciting to watch...

    Tell Harley good luck on the job interview!!! The kids are really growing up...

    Oh, and one other thing: I wasn't thrilled with the ending of The Good Wife. I really wanted to see her with Jason. I think they were really in love. Peter cheated on her so much! But I wouldn't have been disappointed if she had ended up with Peter after all. But is that who she was walking back to??
    I wonder if they left it open for a movie down the road??
    That was such a great cast! And great storylines. I'm really going to miss the show.

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes. I'll worry about it tomorrow. I live by that as well. We have cardinals and blue jays too. Hang a jelly feeder and see if you have some Orioles. I don't know who she ended up with but I listened to the writers point of view of this final episode. They think it was plain she had chosen Jason. But we'll never know if he stuck around long enough to find out. I will miss the show too.

      Delete
  12. I thought of this last week, but didn't ask. Your bible verse for this week reminded me. Have you ever heard John Michael Talbot's song Lilies of the Field? He set your bible passage to music and I think it's lovely. It's on the Internet if you google his name and the song title. He's MUCH older now, long gray beard. I'm so sorry to read about your melancholy, but I admire your honesty. Your grands are growing up. Harley isn't far behind Darian. I hope love for your grands and hope for their futures help to soften the melancholy. You have given them a lot by taking them in. It matters. You matter! You and Richard both mattered to them. And . . . just because they grow up doesn't mean you no longer matter to them. You do because you said yes to taking them in. I don't own a scale either. I junked it years ago in a positive mental health move. The sequel to GETW is Scarlett, right? That's the one that comes to mind. And Rhett Butler's People, if I recall. You've done well to get through the volume! hope the weather looks good for you on Saturday. Best wishes to Darian. Good luck to Harley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of the song. I will Google it and listen! Thank you for your good wishes. Yes, I am sure it is just the bittersweetness we have when we raise them and they leave us. My son says it is due to my wanting to be a control freak. He might be right!! Yes, the name is Scarlett! Have you read it??

      Delete
    2. Gram I am listening right now on You Tube! I love the background music. Very nice! Thank you for telling me about John Michael Talbot!!

      Delete
    3. You're welcome. He's been very prolific over his lifetime. I heard him once in concert at the Basilica in Minneapolis. I have always liked his music. I have not read Scarlett. When it came out I was working and Angel was in middle school. I didn't watch tv or read much then. Too busy with work, helping with homework, my daughter's activities and chores. I am planning to catch up on the things I missed. Scarlett is on my catch up list! Hope I live long enough to make a dent in the list!

      Delete
  13. Best of luck to Harley!! Where is she applying to?
    Darian is so handsome!! Such an exciting time for him. You're going to miss him very much.
    I want to see Orioles!! I don't think they come around my part of Texas. I could be wrong.
    Elvis burgers? Do they have peanut butter and bananas on them?
    BTW, still haven't received the book I won from you? Not that I've had time to read anything while still unpacking but I like getting happy mail and not bills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holli I didn't think we had them either until I started hanging jelly feeders. Then they come.....several at a time. Yes, Elvis burgers have fried bananas and nut butter on them. With crumbled bacon on top. Yummy! What?? I will look into the book mailing! You should have received it by now!

      Delete
    2. I forgot to answer your question, Holli...she has applied to work at the concession stand of our local pool!

      Delete
  14. Congratulations on sticking with the Whole 30 as long as you did. It is very difficult to make a life change like that. If you just hold on to a couple of the things you learned, you are ahead of the game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to still do proteins and vegetables for the most part. Not a big amount of dairy. Just cut back on some of those. And maybe try to add some walking to the mix!

      Delete
  15. Yeah, cleaning before the party seems a bit much when you're going to have to clean after. Wow, he's graduating already? Time sure flies.

    Good Wife... I think she ended up alone. For the moment. She's starting a new chapter in her life. I do also enjoy Elementary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW is right! I can't believe he is graduating so soon either! That is what Harley thinks to about the Good Wife. Standing on her own two feet!!

      Delete
  16. I am secretly glad you have given this up...as I am getting my rear in gear to send you something and now I can send you something you will flip over! My friend just started the Whole 30 and she gave up after a week, she found it hard to do with her kids, etc, and wasn't willing to sacrifice some of her favourite very healthy foods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is not for everyone. I could have stuck it out if the kids are stayed int here with me. But I had told them from the beginning they could quit when they wanted. So good to see you here commenting, my friend!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!