Thursday, May 5, 2016

Memories of May 5, 1961



While browsing through Facebook earlier today I came across a post that was commemorating this day in history. 50 Years Ago Today!! I remember this day.

I was a young girl of 10. On this day I was at school at Mattie O' Haskins Grade School in Pratt, Kansas. The entire school was gathered in the auditorium to watch this momentous occasion on TV. The TV looked much like this one, sitting up on one of those carts which were used for video projectors.
We were all sitting on the floor looking up at the screen. Mr. Grimes, the grade school principal at that time, was telling us what a big deal this day was!

found on Google








I can remember how we reacted to this news. We thought it meant if we could visit space then 'Martians' could visit us! WOW!! 50 years ago. A long, long time.

Do you remember this day? And those of you who are not nearly as ancient as me, would this be interesting to you now??


21 comments:

  1. I am not sure if I remember this one, but I do remember in elementary school the teachers would bring in a television set so we could watch the space ships returning to earth. It was so exciting!! Can't believe 50 years; where did it go?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the whole history of the space program. I'm about 10 years younger. I remember a similar thing of a TV brought into each classroom to watch the Apollo broadcast of the first steps on the moon. I have an album that has the history of space starting back with Aristotle and ending with that moon walk.
    Barbara, blogging at Life & Faith in Caneyhead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think the year Apollo 11 landed with Neil Armstrong, on the moon, I had just graduated from high school. There is a lot of history in space that this generation of kids take for granted!

      Delete
  3. Yes I remember. We did not have a TV or radio in the school. My 4th grade teacher Mr V gave me the keys to his car and a notebook, I stayrd in the car and took notes and then shared with the class later. I felt very important being the reporter! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would have been very cool to get to be the reporter!

      Delete
  4. I hadn't seen this on FB. Wow, 50 years?!
    Yes, I certainly recall our grade-school class unusually still as our teacher set up the radio. Together we heard history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great then. And it's still great, isn't it?

      Delete
  5. If such a thing were to happen today, it would be projected on a big screen in every classroom. How technology has changed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time has certainly been changed by technology! I'm not sure it's all been for the good. But it is what it is!

      Delete
  6. I remember it. I was in high school and they had it on the PA system for us to listen to. We thought is was so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too young for this one but do remember the moon landing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember the Mercury news. Big news for the time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Paula - I was old enough .. but I definitely don't remember this - or ever seeing it ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it was a big deal to us, here in America!

      Delete
  10. I don't remember this day. I would have been 7 going on 8 and attending St. Thecla Catholic School.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scratch that....In 1961, which was 55 years ago....I would have been only 3...no wonder I don't remember LOL

      Delete
    2. LOL! You probably wouldn't remember if you were only 3!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!