Monday, May 30, 2016

Memorial Day Life List

LOOKING OUT MY WINDOW....

The sky is getting cloudy. The A/C is on. It is very humid. So much rain recently!

AS I PONDER....

Today we ponder Memorial Day! Memorial Day is an American holiday that is celebrated on the last Monday of every May. This holiday originated in the years following the Civil War and was originally called Decoration Day. It became a Federal holiday in 1971. I grew up calling it Decoration Day. The holiday is meant to honor the lives of the men and women who died while serving in the military. My family always celebrated this day by visiting the cemeteries and decorating the graves of those family members who had passed before us. That is how I still celebrate this holiday. We put a tub of geraniums on Grandma and Grandpa Beale's graves (Richard's parents) and took white roses to my little angel-baby Elaine. We will release some bright pink balloons for Papa.  Many years in the past we followed up the visits to the cemeteries with a huge cookout. This year we are having a "Make Your Own" Taco Bar with refried Beans and a Sopapilla Cheesecake! 



WHAT I AM LEARNING...

Our Do Not Depart group is taking a break for the summer. I am going to continue with one of the old chapters they had memorized before I joined: Ephesians 1:1-23






WHAT I 'M CREATING...

Yesterday I took the girls shopping at Hobby Lobby. They want to create something! I bought them some canvases and paint with brushes. I'll share pictures of their creations. I am not creating, at the moment. 

WHAT I'M READING....

I am reading Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell. I simply love this author's name!!
(*I finished this book. Stay tuned for my review later this week)

WHAT I'M WATCHING...

All of my favorite shows are now in re-runs. Since I didn't miss many episodes during the winter months I am on the look out for new shows. Any recommendations from you guys?

WHAT I'M HEARING...

I am listening to a re-run of Blue Bloods right now!






WHAT'S ON MY CAMERA...











WHAT I'M DRINKING....


Along with discovering my love for lemon water I have taken a liking to infused waters with other vegetables and fruits. My favorite is lemon and orange. But I also love the light, crisp taste of cucumber with mint leaves. You can go here to read all about infused waters. 





WHAT'S HAPPENING IN THE KITCHEN...

 Monday...Tacos, Refried Beans, Cheesecake

 Tuesday...Breakfast 4 Dinner

 Wednesday...Ham & Cheese Sandwiches, Chips

 Thursday...Goulash

 Friday...Tropical Summer Pasta Salad

 Saturday...Salmon, Creamy Cucumber Salad, Grilled Zucchini

 Sunday...Salisbury Steaks, Mashed potatoes, peas

A QUOTE I WANT TO SHARE...








We need to take the time to remember this!









LOOKING FORWARD....


Today we will release a balloon (or three or four) and remember Richard! We will let him know we are moving forward and we are all doing okay!! Keep looking down on us, dear!


HAPPENINGS IN MY BACKYARD...


The grass needs mowed and trimmed. With all the rain we have been having the grass is growing. Maybe we can get on that this week. More birdies are flying in and finding their ways to the feeders. And we still have a variety of rabbits and squirrels stealing whatever they can find on the ground. I have spotted the red fox lately. Or the deer. And it has been a bit since Polly, the Opossum has paid me a late night visit. 


A PEEK INTO MY WEEK...

The business of summer starts this week. Tuesday-Friday Harley will have basketball camp and weight training each morning from 6:30 a.m. until 9:30. I will be driving. YAY me!! On Wednesday evening their high school Sunday school class is having a pond party. I know that Harley will go! She goes to anything that is social. We will see what Darian thinks. He is working full time now and just wants to shower and rest when he gets home. Thursday he will have Poolee PT with the Marines. And then the weekend will be here again. 




A FINAL THOUGHT....


I love a visit to the nursery. We only bought a pot of geraniums and left them at the cemetery. But Harley took pictures. She is like her Papa..he, too, loved to photograph flowers.





36 comments:

  1. My Dad is a WWII Vet! He still goes to the American Legion a lot also.. and the small town I'm from always has a little parade. I enjoyed going to it each year. Just not the same around my town - everything is too noisy and crowded!! We are having heat and humidity also. I've had the a/c cranking for the past 4 days. And we've had a bit more rain...

    I liked Shades of Blue more than I thought I would! We watched it via On Demand through Cox. I have a bunch of tv shows recorded, but when we are done with those - we have to start searching for something else for the summer months. Will watch some movies here and there also...

    I just bought 3 new books - Flight Patterns by Karen White; The Children by Leary; and Lawyer for the Cat by Robinson. I enjoyed her first book - Lawyer for the Dog!

    Stay cool!!

    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of Shades of Blue but I will check it out. All of those books sound good! Have a great Memorial Day!1

      Delete
  2. Many people confuse Memorial Day and Veterans Day. Memorial Day is a day for remembering and honoring military personnel who died in the service of their country, particularly those who died in battle or as a result of wounds sustained in battle. While those who died are also remembered, Veterans Day is the day set aside to thank and honor ALL those who served honorably in the military — in wartime or peacetime. In fact, Veterans Day is largely intended to thank LIVING veterans for their service, to acknowledge that their contributions to our national security are appreciated, and to underscore the fact that all those who served — not only those who died — have sacrificed and done their duty

    Even with that said we can still enjoy the first long weekend of summer and still have our BBQ and crawfish boils with good company and thank those who gave their lives so we could. BBQ last night the boil starts at 2 this afternoon. I'm ready

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a great boil! Wish I was there!!

      Delete
  3. I hope you enjoyed Eleanor & Park. I thought it was refreshing and real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed it very much! And I have recommended it to my granddaughters!

      Delete
  4. Reading this, I thought: "what different lives we live." I'm resting at home, alone wiht my dogs, so tired I didn't even put the flag out, which I will do now that I think about it. Later I will drive over to my friend Mary's house and share a meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My celebrations have certainly shrunk in size. There was only Paige and Justin here this weekend. Very much unlike the huge gatherings we used to have. I miss those days

      Delete
  5. I love the tradition of releasing balloons for Richard. Have a wonderful, relaxing day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, I'm not much help on the tv suggestions. The tv isn't on much on work and school nights. I do like Blue Bloods when I get the chance, though. Don't you just love seeing the world (or flowers) through Harley's eyes through her photos? Fun to see. The quote you chose is very thought-provoking. I hope you enjoyed you balloon release. The messages looked so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Harley has a good eye. We did enjoy our balloon release. I don't think they traveled very far though.

      Delete
  7. It's been warm and humid here all weekend and everything is growing like crazy! Sounds like you had an enjoyable weekend. I love the idea of releasing balloons to remember Richard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. TV shows... Well, Wayward Pines just started up again. As did Royal Pains. It's going to be a couple weeks before the summer shows start back up in earnest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look into both of those shows, Liz!

      Delete
  9. How special to release the balloons for Richard. Hard to imagine soon it will be 2 years. Not much of a TV watcher these days, but looking forward to when Zoo comes back in a few weeks; got "stuck" on it last season, LOL :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of Zoo! And yes, we started the balloon releases when my mom was cremated...followed by my step-father, my brother-in-law, my sister-in-law and then Richard!

      Delete
  10. Love your pink balloons, what a perfect way to send messages upwards!
    I don't watch much regular TV but I like Reality TV !! And cooking shows, I also like old westerns:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love reality TV here too. So bad, it is shameful. Looking forward to Big Brother starting. And I love the cooking shows as well.

      Delete
  11. Hi Paula - it is good to remember ... and I'm glad you'll be releasing balloons for Richard ... we are fortunate people served for us - and so we have our freedom ...

    With thoughts - you're always doing lots and the kids will so appreciate you in their latter years and what you taught them, and the encouragement they get. Enjoy their art work ...

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  12. I came home to about 30 hours of DVR programs - all season finales of shows I love. I too am looking for good series to watch for the summer. And bummed about Castle being cancelled for next season. And no more Person of Interest. I am a whodunit kind of person. Previews of Brain Dead look interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a whodunit person too! I have been watching previews of Brain Dead and wonder if it is one we will like!

      Delete
  13. I'm going to check out the infused water. I barely drink any water and am always admonishing myself for that.
    I can always find something on Netflix to watch. I particularly like BBC productions. I also can't wait for Big Brother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good way to make yourself drink more water. I am not all that crazy about plain water

      Delete
  14. I love infused water and I hardly remember to do it. My favorite is cucumber with mint. I have have a special infuser water container and I still don't remember to do it!! Thanks for the link. It answered a number of questions for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to make me some more cucumber and mint. Yummy!!

      Delete
  15. Sounds like all is right in your world and have a good week ahead too. Memorial Day is always bittersweet with our memories of loved ones lost but never forgotten and family meals and gatherings and oh my the flowers are lovely this time of year. I had an impromptu lunch with one of my son's and his family. It was an unexpected joy! I do like lemon water but love lemonade even better and drink it a lot when it gets hot. Happy Tuesday !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From day to day and for the most part things are okay in my world!

      Delete
  16. Nice to catch up on all your happenings. Good luck with the early morning driving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy! I have to especially be on the look out for the deer that early in the mornings.

      Delete
  17. Hi Paula! I never had first-hand experience decorating grave-site, but I'm loving the balloons. (Especially someone's ponytail?) Now, THAT's love! :)

    The older I get, Memorial Day takes on such a greater meaning. Did you happen to see the Memorial Day concert from Washington, DC? My eyelids are still swollen from weeping. (Or, could be our hosts' wine had something to do with it!)

    ... speaking of swollen eyelids, I'm definitely going to check out that cucumber/mint infused water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! We started decorating graves when I was a young girl. After my dad died. The first Decoration Day after his death, I was 8 years old. They had a 21 gun salute that sent us 5 kids running for cover. (My dad committed suicide with a gun). I haven't attended anymore where they fire the guns. I don't like guns!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!