Monday, May 30, 2016

Eleanor & Park-A Book Review

Overview From Barnes & Noble

#1 New York Times Best Seller!
"Eleanor & Park reminded me not just what it's like to be young and in love with a girl, but also what it's like to be young and in love with a book."-John Green, The New York Times Book Review
Bono met his wife in high school, Park says.
So did Jerry Lee Lewis, Eleanor answers.
I'm not kidding, he says.
You should be, she says, we're 16.
What about Romeo and Juliet?
Shallow, confused, then dead.
I love you, Park says.
Wherefore art thou, Eleanor answers.
I'm not kidding, he says.
You should be.
Set over the course of one school year in 1986, this is the story of two star-crossed misfits-smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try. When Eleanor meets Park, you'll remember your own first love-and just how hard it pulled you under.

Oh my gosh! I have been hearing about this book for a while now. Recently I found it on BookBub for $1.99. It has been on my reading list so I hurriedly went off and downloaded it. I knew it would be a quick read. Well quick, for me. Which means less than a week. Probably a fast reader could read it in a day!

This book is written by Rainbow Rowell. I love saying her name. I think it is her first novel. I haven't checked that fact to be sure. But I think it is. And what a first novel. WOW!

I love both Eleanor and Park. What a love story. So tragic! Park is half-Korean and Eleanor is the new girl at school. She is big, red-headed and dresses weird. Just the kind of girl high school kids will make fun of. Bully! And this happens to Eleanor. But Park falls in love with her anyway. The real tragic part of the story, though, is not about bullying. It is about what is going on in Eleanor's home. A mean, nasty step-father. Lots of kids all crammed into one bedroom and a spineless, tormented mom. The book is about first love. Young love. And how a half-Asian boy saves a quirky girl.

This book is given 5 stars. ***** It deserves even more. But 5 is the most I give.  

18 comments:

  1. Great review. You've certainly piqued my interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just resubscribed to Bookbub so I could find that book but I guess they no longer offer it. I did get two other books, though! That site in addicting which is probably why I unsubscribed to it a while ago! Off to Amazon now to see if I can find Eleanor and Park. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the problem with BookBub. They don't keep them for a real long time. It was a couple months ago I downloaded this. I knew it was on my to-be-read list!

      Delete
  3. That does sound good! Will have to put it on my list!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you enjoyed it! I know I raved about it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've raved about it to the young girls around here.

      Delete
  5. So fun to come here and read a your review. It's like a little virtual peek at your book shelves. Glad you liked it so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that GN would like this book Gram. And you too!

      Delete
  6. Who'd have guessed ... but you've gone and turned my presumptions inside out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I bet you would like this book Myra!

      Delete
  7. I did hear about this one. I think it was reviewed in Entertainment Weekly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm grabbing this up. Thanks for the review Paula.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!