Thursday, May 19, 2016

Dear Friday

Dear Friday:
I am sorry to tell you this, but for the next few months you won't be as important as you used to be. School is out. Everyday will feel like Friday to us. (We are sorry Darian, we mean us girls) But I will be looking forward to get reacquainted with you come September. Love, Granny

Dear Family and Friends:
Thanks to all of you who made Darian's high school graduation special. To those of you who drove a distance (Oklahoma) to those of you who drove across town to share the day with us. To all of you who sent him cards with gifts and well-wishes. To all of you here on my blog who offered him your congratulations. This part of his life (and mine) is now in the past. On to the future! A great big world out there for him. Love, Paula

Dear Car:
You are my one and only! Yep, the only car I have! So you have to be reliable. And on Wednesday this week you weren't. No problem when I took Darian to work at 7:30 a.m. But when I went to pick him up at 4:30 p.m. you wouldn't start. Just click, click, click. I was pretty sure the battery was dead. A quick call to Darian and he found a ride home. Another quick call to Marvin (adopted son-in-law) and he came over. We couldn't find the battery. Not under the hood of the car. Grabbed the car manual and found that it is located under the back seat. I think I remembered this from an episode years ago. Something Richard handled and not me! One of those things he probably wanted to teach me, but I didn't want to learn. Anyway, battery removed (discovered it was purchased in 2008) so Marvin recommended just replacing it. And off he went to purchase one for me. Yikes $140.00 for a battery! I was thinking maybe about $75. You start now!! But, what the heck is that whining noise you are making????
Respectfully, (not going to say love tonight) Paula

Dear Weekend:
WE still love you! But now it feels like most everyday is a weekend day. Well, to Harley and me it does. Darian is a working man now. From &7:40 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday. This Friday (today) he is taking another trip to the MEPS (Marines) in Oklahoma City. This time for what they call a Moment of Truth! Time to fess up if they told any lies on their paperwork. Dumb!!! Boys games at their best, I say! Have fun and a good weekend to all.







This was taken at Piper's Graduation from 8th grade
on Monday evening!!














30 comments:

  1. Ick about the car battery. But that was pretty good to have a battery for that long. It is always fun to be on the relaxed mode of summer vacation and enjoying some sleeping in some mornings :)


    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I haven't gotten to sleep in. I get up and drive Darian to work. But I race back home and "plop" onto the couch and nap until Harley gets up!! Marvin said the same thing about that battery lasting that long!

      Delete
  2. Amazing that you got a car battery to last that long. We usually get about 4 years out of one and then we start to have problems. And in our area, car batteries can run over $300 - probably some mark up in that number - but from my perspective you got a deal at $140.

    Great picture of a lovely family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I wonder why there is such a difference in price? That is crazy!!

      Delete
  3. I remember how much I loved summers when I had children in school. Life was always so much simpler, even if I did have to take them back and forth to work. Batteries always seem to surprise us by going when we least expect it. I wish there was a warning light that let us know when they needed to be replaced. Enjoy your summer break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy summer too, but, I am always ready for them to return to school!!

      Delete
  4. Nice looking family you have there! Fridays will be extra special to Darian now that he's working full time! They always are to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Summer is feeling pretty good this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. That is what Marvin suggested! Always something.

      Delete
  7. Like what Ma said, how come car batteries don't come with a low fuel indicator?
    Between us, Tom and I've probably replaced 4-5 in the 13 years we've been in Phoenix ..... they don't do well in Phoenix summers.

    PS - That's pretty funny about the battery not being where it's supposed to be! (You'd think so, anyway.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said it Myra! Funny and a bit crazy if you ask me.

      Delete
  8. You sure got your money's worth out of that battery! Congratulations to Piper. Finishing 8th grade is a big deal! So, the MEPS Moment of Truth assumes there were some lies, it seems. Hope the summer break is wonderful. We're not quite there yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thinking they do assume there are some lies. I think they assume there were some recruiters that told them not to put down some things! I don't understand that whole concept of Moment of Truth!! To tell you the truth!

      Delete
    2. Now that you mention the recruiting end of it, I understand the need foe the Moment of Truth. I do think that is an internal problem, then with the recruiting end. GN's recruiter didn't tell her to lie, but he did encourage her to withhold information. LLA plans to go into the Marines and ai told him about the Moment of Truth. He hadn't heard of it. He's already taken his ASVAB.

      Delete
    3. I think you are right, Gram! Darian's recruiter has done the same. But Darian put it all out there anyway. Darian's Moment of Truth went well. And I guess he is still on schedule to leave November 7!

      Delete
  9. That's an age for a battery! Mine rarely last 5 years. At least AAA can change that right wherever I am.

    Yesterday I got roped into the assembly at school (I had no choice--I had to supervise), and they were showing off the seniors. The ones who had been accepted to 4-year universities. And those that were joining the military. There were like 6 bound for the Marines. I thought of Darian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you thought of Darian. They didn't mention the military kids at his graduation, which I think is just wrong!!

      Delete
  10. I've never seen a blog..Dear...Gee I could start mine this Dear people who I work for...
    Came over from Liz. If you fine the time stop in for a cup of coffee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my world! I will jump over and visit you Dora!!

      Delete
  11. When I was young I always drove clunkers. It's what I could afford. The building of the company I worked for was at the top of a steep hill. Each time it would snow I crossed my fingers as I held white-knuckled onto my steering wheel hoping my old girl would be able to climb up the mountain. I would coax her along..."just one more time, girl. I know you can do it." The only time I actually got stuck in the middle of the mountain was when I ran out of gas.
    Love the family photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to drive a lot of clunkers too. In fact this one is getting to be a clunker. But we bought it brand new in 2000!

      Delete
  12. I love the way you write to these different days. it's so much fun to come here and see what you and the young ones are up to. Congrats to Darien if I didn't say so already. He's a very mature and sensible young man and I wish him all the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Inger! I am always glad to have you visit. Yes, Darian is growing up. Not all the way mature yet!! Still a lot of boy left in him!

      Delete
  13. Great photo! Saturday used to always be my Friday...but I know what you mean about free time!! Yes batteries are expensive:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I worked at the hospital my weekends were always Friday and Saturday and I returned to work on Sundays.

      Delete
  14. Every day has been a work day from the moment we awake until we collapse on the couch after dark but we are nearly there Paula.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even imagine what you are going through! I don't look forward to it! I should start now and do it a bit at a time!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!