Sunday, April 17, 2016

What I Ought To Have Done


The A to Z Challenge takes us on a journey through the month of April. We write Monday through Saturday and take Sunday off. Hence, 26 days and 26 letters of the alphabet. Come in and see what snippet I'm sharing with you today.

Also we are starting our Whole 30 Adventure today and you can follow along by going to my other blog: Our Adventure in Whole 30 and Beyond. 


             Ought To Do's


If I Had My Life to Live Over
 by Nadine Stair

"I'd dare to make more mistakes next time. I'd relax, and I limber up. I would be sillier than I have been this trip. I would take fewer things seriously. I would take more chances. I would climb more mountains and swim more rivers. I would eat more ice cream and less beans. I would perhaps have more actual troubles, but I'd have fewer imaginary ones.

You see, I'm one of those people who live sensibly and sanely hour after hour, day after day. Oh, I've had my moments, and if I had to do it over again, I've have more of them. In fact, I'd try to have nothing else. Just moments, one after another, instead of living so many years ahead of each day. I've been one of those persons who never goes anywhere without a thermometer, a hot water bottle, a raincoat and a parachute. If I had to do it again, I would travel lighter than I have.

Pick more daisies!


If I had my life to live over, I would start barefoot earlier in the spring and stay that way later in the fall. I would go to more dances. I would ride more merry-go-rounds. I would pick more daisies."

Have you ever thought of what you would do if you could go all the way back to the beginning and do it all over again?? I read this passage recently in a book of the same title If I Had My Life to Live Over and I thought of things I ought to have done.

1) I would speak up more as a child. And listen less to my fears

2) I would wear clothes that I liked and not the ones my mom liked best.

3) I wouldn't wear shoes....ever!

4) I would have kissed and hugged my daddy more. And told him I loved him

5) I would not have cared (as much) at the messes my kids made.

6) I would have picked all the flowers from the gardens and carried them into the house!

7) I would have eaten ice cream every single day! And tasted all the flavors

8) I would have moved to the beach and lived in a hut and collected seashells to sell to the tourists. And drank beer while doing it!
With a ciggy dangling from my lips!! Ha! Ha!



What would you do?? Do you have things you would like to do over?



(P.S. I have a copy of the book If I Had my Life to Live Over that I would love to send to you! Please email me if you are interested!  I will select a winner from the emails?)

34 comments:

  1. I think all of us have something we would do differently if we could have a second chance to do so. I'd like to do just a bit better with raising my kids and enjoy the time more through some of the challenging times instead of just wishing they would be over.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to enjoy more time with my kids as well Betty!

      Delete
  2. wonderful. Yes, I would do everything differently. Would have gone abroad to study and settle. Would have three to four dogs with me. Would buy flowers everyday. Finally buy a private island and just live in peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah a private island! Now there is an idea!!

      Delete
  3. Wow, yes, I would love to read this book. And again, another post that sparks thought. Thank you Paula. I will say that most of the things I would do different happened in the earlier part of my life. I wish I could tell my father how much I loved him despite being an alcoholic and making us miserable at times. I wish I could be more understanding of what my mother had to go through on our behalf during that time. Both my parents needed much understanding during those early years. I didn't give them that until I was much older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad was an alcoholic too Elaine. I think lots of people in our lives just needed more understanding! Your name is in my drawing!!

      Delete
  4. I would have finished college and got my degree. I would have married my husband sooner when we could have connected earlier. I have tons of what I would do differently. I would love that book!! hollihd@mindspring.com
    I am fast reader. I would share it with someone else if I won.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will put your name in the drawing Holli! I love your would-have's !!

      Delete
  5. I think the only thing I'd do differently is get less upset. There's just not enough time to be upset about things out of my control. I know that now, but have wasted time on it in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have gone to college. I would have not moved away from Ohio. I would have had kids - or adopted some....

    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are certain things I sometimes think I would like to do over, but not doing them I might not be where I am today. I would though like to rebuild my house, larger and in a different location in the township.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know if I'd do anything differently. It's hard to say, because every little thing that changes changes the outcome, so I wouldn't be here today. That might be a good thing or not, depending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true Liz. But if we were doing it over we wouldn't know all that!

      Delete
  9. I would love a copy of this book and I would definitely relax and enjoy my kids more. They are only little for such a short whike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, Wendy! I have your name in the drawing too!

      Delete
  10. Interesting post. Fun to look back and say 'what if'. A ciggy, though. For real? Just curious. I would have gone to the college I actually wanted to go to and studied the major I actually wanted to study. I would have made sure I went to a Simon and Garfunkel concert! I would have hiked the Appalachian Trail and after a rest and some work, I would have hiked the Camino de Santiago in Spain. And then I would have applied for work at the South Pole!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, for real. I used to smoke. For a lot of years. And I loved smoking. So if I were living all alone on that beach somewhere I would smoke! Yep, I sure would! I would have seen Elvis Presley too! I like your would-haves!

      Delete
  11. Ditto to your #3! :)
    Also, I wouldn't be so anxious to say 'yes' to the first boy who asked me to marry him. 'Not so sure I was in love vs. looking for a 'safe' place on which to land. ("Ha!" through clenched teeth ...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!! But I wouldn't have my kids if I hadn't married the first dude! So guess it's good that I can't go back!!

      Delete
  12. Not sure how I feel about this thought. No regrets other than getting addicted to smoking cigarettes. It took me a long time to get over that, so much wasted time struggling with it all. Trying to stop, unable to stop. Not until Nicorette was I able to and that was so many years after I knew I wanted to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wasn't the hardest thing I ever did too! And I liked smoking so much. I only tried once and that take was successful. I used Zyban and nicotine patches!!

      Delete
  13. I'm always saying "Oh, if I had it to do all over again, I'd do it all different." I say that in times of exasperation. In reality, I wouldn't do it ALL all over again, just some things.
    You list of Ought To's is great!
    Love the passage from the book...

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't want to do it all over again either Michele!

      Delete
  14. I would have enlisted in the Army back in 1969 and went to parts unknown:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I graduated from high school in 1969 I wanted to join the Navy. But my brothers had such a fit I never did!

      Delete
  15. Sometimes I wish I had done things differently, but then I look around my life and I think that any change in how things were--or how I was--might change the way things turned out and there is so much about my current life that I wouldn't give up for anything.

    I like your ice cream and beach dreams, though. I love anything that involves ice cream and the beach. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ice cream and the beach are the only things I am able to dream about now LOL!

      Delete
  16. I'd never have left. I'd have sucked it up, hated every day, to be close and part of her life. To not have that regret....that would be the sweetest thing. A life of regrets just plain sucks. I'll be checking out this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to check out your blog but I can't. When I click on your name it tells me the blog is private.

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!